• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    In lieu of a logical bold topic, does your story ever go in directions you never intended it to go in?

Yes and no, I have a set plot I want to focus on, but since the story is not complete, I might add a small thing or two within the story.

When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?

I don't seem to be good with dialogue at times, also I tend to leave out potentially good importances at times too. XD Learned (Pronounced as how Shakespeare would say it) writer here I come!

Do you utilise Aura (capital A, Aura) in your fics, or do you avoid it like the plague? Why?

The Timeless Shadow concerns Aura, it is my take on it, and I think it has been said that not to many people talk about it either.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?
    My complete inability to go a page without starting a sentence with a conjunction. There's always a "and" or a "but" sitting at the beginning of the sentence.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    My complete inability to go a page without starting a sentence with a conjunction. There's always a "and" or a "but" sitting at the beginning of the sentence.

It does work in some cases though. ;)

But we as reviewers can always help with that. *gets shot* XD

And not to mention the duplicity and hypocrisy that I am displaying *is maimed and shot*

Bay

Years
  • Man, you guys have to party while this gentleman had a long day at work! :<

Well now it's just that I'm unable to write certain scenes the way I want to. I know what's going to happen, but whatever I write I would always think it sucks. Also, always worrying if I have too many awkward sentences in my story. I think I have too many awkward phrases in this paragraph too. :x

Do you utilise Aura (capital A, Aura) in your fics, or do you avoid it like the plague? Why?
    Never used it since there's no need for it in my fics, but I do like it in the Pokemon movie and thought it's interesting. I might try to include it in a one shot or something.

On the topic of people with superpowers, I don't mind them. In fact, my favorite manga has a lot of characters with superpowers, but each of their powers do have a weakness. Also, gosh dang it I'm a glaspar eye sweeper! XD;

If anyone can guess the manga I'm talking about, I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER! :3

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • WARNING, THIS POST IS, AGAIN, REALLY FRIGGIN' LONG. IT ALSO CONTAINS A FAIR AMOUNT OF SPOILERS TO THE MECHANICS OF THE FLAMESTAR CHRONICLES, HOWEVER FOR THE MOST PART NONE OF IT IS ACTUALLY PLOT RELATED. ALL BUT THE MOST MINOR PLOT-RELATED THINGS HAVE BEEN PUT IN SPOILER TAGS. SO...DON'T READ IF YOU'RE THAT SENSITIVE TO SPOILERS IN A FIC I DOUBT MOST OF YOU HAVE OR EVER WILL READ ANYWAYS. I THINK I'LL TURN CAPS LOCK OFF NOW.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Prepare to be confused, everyone!

Yes, I do use Aura. No, I do not call it Aura. When it gets down to technicalities, no it's not really Aura. For all intents and purposes? It's Aura. In TFCv1 it was called Arcana Energy but in v2 it's now Source Energy, which unlike Arcana Energy can be called just Source as well without sounding too weird.

TRINITY spoiler, but a small and largely insignificant one:
    Spoiler:

However, here's where it gets confusing. Aura is Source, but Source is not Aura. It may help to explain what exactly Source is within TFC. Basically, Source is the most basic form of energy that exists and is composed of three subtypes: alpha, beta, and gamma. When Source energy is massed together it may undergo conversion to another type of energy or matter. The subtypes that make up the composition of the new type of energy or matter can affect its properties, which is most important when it comes to matter and living beings. When a living being's matter is composed predominantly by a single type of Source Energy, that being acts as a sort of magnet, attracting that same type of Source to themselves in an aura. That aura then literally becomes that being's soul and is what gives them sentience. Humans are composed entirely of the alpha subtype and Pokemon of beta. Inanimate matter is composed of all three subtypes and lacks any attractive force, while living yet non-sentient matter such as normal animals are only composed of two and have a weak attractive force to both types, but not enough to gain an aura.

TFC spoiler, somewhat important but more so because of the implications:
    Spoiler:

Now, from there it's probably not that hard to leap to what Aura actually is within the realm of TFC. It's simply the aura of Source Energy that surrounds both humans and Pokemon and thus is essentially that being's actual soul. So when Lucario senses Aura signatures and whatever, he's actually seeing people's souls, while when he fires off Aura Spheres he's taking his own soul and firing off chunks of it. Now, with moderation that's not a bad thing as his natural attractive force to beta-type Source Energy means his aura will be replenished in time, but therein comes some complications to using one's own aura as a weapon within TFC. If you expend too much energy too fast, you'll die. End of story. It also works the other way, if you somehow collect too much energy at once you'll basically overload, your body not being able to handle so much energy. You die then too. Of course, the only way that happens is through external means as the body won't naturally attract an excessive amount of energy.

So yes, Aura is used in TFC, although it's worth noting that I had thought up the core concept of Source Energy well before that movie even came out. Originally Source and Aura weren't linked at all, however when I saw that canon had created a somewhat similar concept to what I was already doing, I just had to link them. The theory that I went over here is actually a bit different and more detailed than I had at first, where Aura was simply a more abstract type of Source that could be classified as "life energy".

As for what exactly I use Source and thus Aura for within TFC, well, yeah, Rayne can shoot energy balls out of her hand. However, they're closer to Shadow Ball than Aura Sphere. There is a reason for that, however, and it has to do with how I view special attacks as working within TFC. Simply put, all special attacks are directly Source-based. The Pokemon is able to intuitively control the Source energy they attract to achieve the desired effect, whatever that is. In Cyndaquil and its evolutions along with pretty much all fire Pokemon, for instance, their bodies contain sacks of methane gas that can be released and then ignited using Source Energy to create flames (alternatively, flames can be created entirely out of Source, as is the case in attacks where the fire doesn't come from any specific spot on the body). Note that they're not using their own aura but simply surrounding energy, which therein lies the big difference between Aura-based attacks and normal special attacks within TFC. As the user's aura tends to be much more concentrated than surrounding energy, the Aura energy used within Aura Sphere and everything is thus stronger than simply gathering together surrounding energy would be. HOWEVER! Humans do NOT have that intuitive ability to control Source Energy, of course. What this means is that when a human DOES control Source Energy (as with psychics and such. And Rayne), no matter what they use it for, they ALWAYS pull energy from their own aura! They can still use that energy just like surrounding energy, but it means that a human who channels Source Energy will always be limited in how much they can do without killing themselves.

Valentine said:
    This. That and my characters are the kinds of people whose special powers are fueled by SCIENCE. As in, yes, SCIENCE. Must be capslocked because SCIENCE.
    Source Energy in TFC, and thus Aura by extension, is considered (mostly) to be SCIENCE and it's explained in backstory stuff that it has indeed been studied by real honest to god scientists. :O The only magical part is how Pokemon and human channelers are able to actually manipulate it. I'm not even going to try to figure out an explanation for that.

I wish I had read this topic earlier and not when I should be going to bed. There are some other things I could answer but seeing as it's 1:45 I'm not going to even try now. Maybe later. Probably not. Oh, and Val, saw the new chapter and will probably read it this weekend while I'm putting off doing Discrete Math homework and yet more programs. Yep. And, again, anyone who read all this gets a prize. I'm thinking...cake this time. Everyone loves cake, right?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm going back and forth about whether it might be beneficial to merge The Grammar Advice Thread, but if it's best on its own, then it really should be finished or at least continued to cover more of the most basic mistakes. (I'm really glad there's a comma guide which some of us seriously need. Apparently, we could use a paragraph break guide as well because it's suddenly become fashionable not to hit the enter button twice between each paragraph. Maybe we could even use something that defines why we need to avoid raping the English language with a rusty pole.)
    If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, please feel free. I haven't given a second thought to adding onto it for a long time, lol. I would like it if my examples were kept intact (unless of course, they're blatantly incorrect XD)

Describing battle scenes. It's not that I suck at them , but it's that I simply hate writing them.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?

Yeah, the fact that I simply can't seem to say things out the way I want. It usually ends up in me mixing sentences the way I don't want to only to have a certain scene described. Also, the lack of some terms that just should exist to define some actions, scenes, and etc.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Okay I've been thinking about this for a while, and I have come up with my own option, but I would like to hear yours.

I know that some Pokemon such as Lapras are super smart, but what about your average Typhlosion or Bayleef? (Johto starters FTW)

Do you see Pokemon as:

A. Mere animals who do tricks for food just like the animals at the zoo.

B. Amazing creatures with super powers but are not as advanced (mentally) as humans are.

C. Complex creatures who are vastly smarter then the average human, but for some reason decided to listen to the dumber species.

D. Some kind of mix of the above (explain please)

E. Something else (explain please)

For the most part, I see the average Pokemon to be about as smart as the average human. I say average because lets face it, not everyone is an Einstein, in fact some of the members of our species are down right stupid.

The main reason I am wondering this is that the story I am working on is a Pokemon POV. I still have yet to decided if I want to do it in a 1st or 3rd person perspective.

While I was thinking about the main character, the more I think about her, the more of a human (mentally and emotionally) she becomes. I torn down the middle as to how I want to write this now.

BTW, "Normal" is not going to be the title, I was talking about my brain.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Interesting question, Buoysel.

I'm going to have to answer D, a mix of A and B. I don't think Pokemon are smarter than humans, except for the odd Pokemon here and there (like psychic-types). If Pokemon were that smart, I don't think they'd let people control them because, well, I don't think anyone would want to be forced to fight for another being's amusement.

Years
  • How intelligent do you see Pokémon as being?
    Personally I would say a mix of A and B - I see them mostly as regular animals except a bit smarter, like they understand voice commands better. Of course, that's the average Pokémon, like an Alakazam for example is a lot smarter than a human. The reason being is that if Pokémon were smarter than humans then why would they let us be the dominant race?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Me again! How the gently caress are you mother lovers?

The tragically long hiatuses I take. It should be illegal to be this slow and lazy of a writer. Then I might actually get something written while I'm stuck in jail with no distractions.

Otherwise, probably dialogue. I'm not very good at it. ;_;

Oh, and second-guessing myself. Or maybe not...I'm not sure now.

Pokemon intelligence question

Depends on the pokemon. You've read my stuff, Buoysel, so you probably know how this goes. Things like the Latis are rather smart while something like a Torkoal is about as bright as a lightbulb fed through a mulcher and dropped into the deepest sea trench on the planet.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Buoysel said:
    I know that some Pokemon such as Lapras are super smart, but what about your average Typhlosion or Bayleef? (Johto starters FTW)
    Gee, thanks for forgetting Feraligatr...

What txteclipse says... about both subjects! :D

Yeah, I could use some whipping motivation to take back the working rate I had up until a couple of months ago. Even not counting my recent flashdrive accident, for the last two months, give or take, I have been just nudging my fics and adding one word or two while I bite my nails and bounce around two, three or four job offers. All of a sudden the idea of being isolated in a jail or another sort of facility to dedicate only to my fics doesn't sound that bad... but then what about the job offers???? XD

I have my own interpretation of how (variedly) intelligent Pokémon can be. It goes pretty much as D, mixture between B and C. Your (mine) common trained Pokémon are relatively intelligent, maybe as much as humans and in some particular cases (Ninetales) maybe more, they know where they're standing and what they have to do, but that's pretty much all of it; they have been... "misinformed" into following the lead of humans.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?
    Description. Particularly during Pokemon battles. >:

How is description your pet peeve, Citrinin? It's like twenty times better than mine.

Anyway. :P

How intelligent do you see Pokémon as being?

I see them as rather intelligent creatures with large spectrum of emotions as humans. I don't like seeing them as complete mindless beast. I view them as something more than just something that you capture. That's just me. I also think they can comprehend human speech as well as understand their trainers emotions. But that's just me.

I truly hate describing places with nothing to describe. Such as routes, caves, and large town. Routes are too vague, caves has nothing to describe, and large towns has too much to describe. Saffron City is one of these towns. >_> Oh my god I hate that place. Anyway, for the little towns it gives me room to have a bases as well as embellish a bit. I guess I can do that with Routes and Caves but you don't get much to embellish without making it look nothing like the place. Ah...was that a rant?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Personally I would say a mix of A and B - I see them mostly as regular animals except a bit smarter, like they understand voice commands better. Of course, that's the average Pokémon, like an Alakazam for example is a lot smarter than a human. The reason being is that if Pokémon were smarter than humans then why would they let us be the dominant race?
    I actually go into that in my fic, or at least plan to... Humans having control over Pokemon is the entire focus.

I imagine Alakazam and others are just stupid. IQs aren't a real indicator of intelligence, since Alakazam could easily have specialized brains... Really good at math, but have no genuine sense of communication (verbal or written) or even art.

I treat Pokemon like animals. That's how they are in the games, that's how they are in my fic.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Well, all of your answers have left me with the question I'm sure all of you have asked your self once a upon a time or another: Why do Pokemon obey their trainers, especially if they know they are going to loose or get hurt?

I can under stand if a Pokemon obeys because the human come up with an idea for survival that is better than the Pokemon's, but what about other times?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    As stated in the games and used in the manga, gym badges are talismans that basically put pressure on or even brainwash Pokemon.

This is then worked on through training... Note that dogs aren't violent; they have to be trained that way. They obey.

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Well, Pokemon are 'trained' by humans, so I'm not sure if they know any better. Also, they grow stronger by fighting and sometimes even evolve, so maybe it's instinct and Pokemon trainers just help them along. Or something like that.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I hate to quote the anime here, but I think it's love. The Trainer (most, anyway. Evil teams not included.) acts as a substitute parent for their Pokemon. They feed them, look after them, and teach them how to become stronger and survive in the world. In return, the Pokemon feels bound to do service to their Trainer. That's how I see it, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I hate to quote the anime here, but I think it's love. The Trainer (most, anyway. Evil teams not included.) acts as a substitute parent for their Pokemon. They feed them, look after them, and teach them how to become stronger and survive in the world. In return, the Pokemon feels bound to do service to their Trainer. That's how I see it, anyway.
    True enough in the anime, but in the games most Pokemon are nothing more than animals and it's explicitly stated that gym badges act as talismans. (I'm sure there's also the case of animals being desensitized to human presence to the point that they can be raised as pets, while others are domesticated... The domestication possibility is my theory for starters, for example)

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • The game is more akin to cockfighting than what Pokemon should ethically be. In the games, you just make your Pokemon bang heads until one of them passes out. The only reason you heal them is so that you can win more battles, get more money, and achieve fame and glory (read: a bunch of pixels that tell you that you've achieved fame and glory).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back