• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I agree, it would make it much easier. Not that we need to be like Serebii or anything, cause we are so much cooler, better, and nicer. (forums wise)

Agreeing on both points. Serebii has a decent system, but I don't go on very often because of the apparent lack of taste involving forum skins... but that's off topic. Anyway, I do think that Shrike has a point as well regarding the new system; there is a good chance that people will not want to put up with being overlooked by all of the Pokémon stories and find somewhere else to go. That, or we could simply follow PE2K's lead and have an all-purpose 'Fan Fiction' section, with Pokémon stories/poetry going in the main forum, the Writer's Lounge staying as is, and all other fandom stories/poetry going on an Other Fanfiction section or something. So yeah, I think pretty similar to what we had before. The Revision Bin is hardly being used anymore, and the Fanfiction Archive doesn't look too stellar either...

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    I wouldn't mind making it active, but I don't like it just being there with no current function. XD; Would it be possible to start putting quality fics back in there?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I wouldn't mind making it active, but I don't like it just being there with no current function. XD; Would it be possible to start putting quality fics back in there?

The reason she (Asty) hasn't is because she doesn't want some n00b wining because their fic wasn't put in there. (at least that is what she said the last time this was brought up.)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Kevin said:
    She could just put a rule in that says no whining.
    N00bs are just that - n00bs. They wouldn't listen to a rule saying that. ;C That being said, we could still give it a whirl on a trial basis and see whether the benefit of having good fics collected in one area outweighs the cost of whining.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    N00bs are just that - n00bs. They wouldn't listen to a rule saying that. ;C That being said, we could still give it a whirl on a trial basis and see whether the benefit of having good fics collected in one area outweighs the cost of whining.

Yes, but whining would mean they'd be breaking the rule, so they would be punished. IDK. The trial basis idea is good, we could maybe try it for a month and see how it goes.

Buoysel

Years

Besides, we have the index now as well. That is the result of the lat time the archive was brought up, well at least the idea of it.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    By that, do you mean that someone brought the idea of re-activating the archive and people pre-emptively started whining that their fics wouldn't be added? @_@;

Hooray. :D The description's fixed. ^^

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Actually, the reason right now is that I don't want the archive being all "This is for the best fics ever, which according to the people are the only fics read here". It was discussed years ago that the "Archive" would become just that: an archive of the completed fics here at PC, listed in one topic (organized someway) so that people can read and review the completed fics.

I'm still trying to get everything done, but since I work and don't have the abilities to do all that I want, it's going to be a while. So far, though, Shrike's post has been read, and I was already considering that.

It's going to take time, people. I'm just one person with no time. But I'll take care of everything, so don't worry.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I'm still trying to get everything done, but since I work and don't have the abilities to do all that I want, it's going to be a while. So far, though, Shrike's post has been read, and I was already considering that.

It's going to take time, people. I'm just one person with no time. But I'll take care of everything, so don't worry.

Why don't you ask for some help? Like another mod. :\

I'm just saying cause this is a very... busy section of PC and having only one mod isn't always a good thing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The section doesn't need two, if one thinks about it. While there's a lot of work to be done now (for instance, I'm taking a break from adding the shiny new prefix to the threads in the main forum), once everything is said and done, I'll be able to handle looking after things on my own. So the section doesn't need two mods.

It's a nice suggestion, and one that I thought of asking about before, but by the time a new mod is chosen, I'll probably be done with what needs to be done with this merge, which is just small stuff. After that, I can keep an eye on things by myself.

all non-Pokemon fics will simply die off and be drowned beneath the Pokemon ones.
    If you look at the first page, with the exception of one closed thread that didn't get the new prefix, there's one "Other" fic compared to over 9000 Pokemon ones on the first page.

Then again, OW itself didn't see a lot of new threads or new posts outside of the Poetry section. (Mad mad props to Gav, for that Poem of the Week idea.) IIRC, the main forum of OW only saw maybe one new post every two/three days (compared to Poetry with its new thread every day, and a new post perhaps ten times a day), while PFF&P saw a new post often, and a new thread at maybe three a day.

So it makes sense that the front page right now will look the way it does. What I'm hoping is that with OW now under PFF&P rules, and the PFF&P regulars knowing how things will work with those "Other" stories, then things will pick up.

That's why right now, we're going to keep things the way they are now. This forum will change if need be.

Buoysel

Years
    The section doesn't need two, if one thinks about it. While there's a lot of work to be done now (for instance, I'm taking a break from adding the shiny new prefix to the threads in the main forum), once everything is said and done, I'll be able to handle looking after things on my own. So the section doesn't need two mods.

It's a nice suggestion, and one that I thought of asking about before, but by the time a new mod is chosen, I'll probably be done with what needs to be done with this merge, which is just small stuff. After that, I can keep an eye on things by myself.

If you look at the first page, with the exception of one closed thread that didn't get the new prefix, there's one "Other" fic compared to over 9000 Pokemon ones on the first page.

Then again, OW itself didn't see a lot of new threads or new posts outside of the Poetry section. (Mad mad props to Gav, for that Poem of the Week idea.) IIRC, the main forum of OW only saw maybe one new post every two/three days (compared to Poetry with its new thread every day, and a new post perhaps ten times a day), while PFF&P saw a new post often, and a new thread at maybe three a day.

So it makes sense that the front page right now will look the way it does. What I'm hoping is that with OW now under PFF&P rules, and the PFF&P regulars knowing how things will work with those "Other" stories, then things will pick up.

That's why right now, we're going to keep things the way they are now. This forum will change if need be.

In short boys and girls, Astinus doesn't want to share her Mod stick. ;P

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    *Back from Hell's Gate*

And hello everyone who actually remember me. It's me Mizan with a new Avatar. Also, a bit late but congrats to Shrike and Negrek for winning the SWC. Big thanks to Solovino for creating the bold topics index which is severely underlooked by the way.

Also, a bit blown away by the merger but I can see this becoming a good thing because I've wanted to post some original work for a while but have been contemplating due to the lack of response in the Other Writing section.

In short boys and girls, Astinus doesn't want to share her Mod stick. ;P
    *one eyebrow raised emote*

But I think that Astinus is right. Cleanup is just an occasional thing in this section. As in, it doesn't happen very often.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Would it be possible for the prefixes to be more along the lines of Pokémon: and Other:? Idk, just something with formatting and colons (I would think) would work as better separators of the prefix and the actual title. :s

Also, welcome back, Mizan. :D

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Would it be possible for the prefixes to be more along the lines of Pokémon: and Other:? Idk, just something with formatting and colons (I would think) would work as better separators of the prefix and the actual title. :s

I agree with this. It took me a second to realise there even were prefixes. They blend into the titles too much. :\

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Hello again, Mizan. There is no escaping the FFL. =P

Whee, section merger. As said, I suppose patience will be needed is all - obviously it'll be a bit messy to begin with and if something turns out to be a better option it'll occur soon enough. OW did seem to be rather dead before though, at any rate. =/

Prefixes are a fair point - minor but makes more sense, I suppose? =/

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    *has just posted original fic here* See, I spend half the week writing something for the sole purpose of trying to make OW more active, and then this happens.

I need to link to that in my sig. *goes to fix*

Yeah, the new format is good. But I agree with Citrinin on the tags. My fic looks like it's called 'Other Artificial'. T_T

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
    This merging might be a bit difficult to keep a topic bumped. My brain really didn't realize the merging until now. ;d But also it could bring in more readers to both sides. I don't have my mind truly wrapped around the entire concept yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back