• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    It's nearly bedtime over here, and I'm suffering the effects of benadryl, so I'n not at my best now. Anyway, I know no one forces me to watch crap TV, hence, I do not. And as for television-bashing, I could point out that a fair bit of what you've said could be considered book bashing. Let me point out the completely unrelated coincidence that a rather large percentage of movies are based on books, by the way.

Reading does expand the brain, or at least, it expanded mine. Ever read "Bridge to Teribithia"? That book made me think completely differently when I was nine. (Kudos to whoever made the Disney movie, by the way, for leaving it mostly unchanged). There are a whole host of thought provoking books. "Ender's Game". "Lord of the Flies". I could list an entire page's worth if I went back over some of the really great titles. I'm not saying that television can't expand the mind, I'm just saying that finding a really thought provoking television show of any sort is about as likely as finding a good book- you have to look through the entire shelf to find it. And more often then not, I've found, I find the book easier then the television show.

Yamato, let's kindly end this discussion now. I'm tired, I don't feel like turning this into an argument, and all I wanted to point out was that there's a lot to be gained by reading. That's all.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    I read comic books. I love comic books. Does that mean I must hate normal books because of that? Of course not.
    Just because a certain group of people bash comics is no reason to bash them right back with 'book readers are mindless sheep that always blame tv' comments :).
    It's a bad debate because the same thing can be said ether way with both sides being 'right'.

All I know is how books have helped me lessen my learning disability. If not for books I would have never gotten a high enough reading level (I had a junor in college reading com. in 7th grade) to understand comics later on in life. Not to mention slowly making my awful spelling better :). The written word is just better at teaching just that, the written word. It doesn't mean I hate tv, but can't I (or anyone else) just like one over the other without having to defend myself ? My own views aren't doing anything to hurt your comic after all :)

I'm sorry, it just hit a soft spot, since I have worked so hard at learning to make my learning disablity better..to say that books are'nt usefull :(...

cardfreak

Decepticon ******
    Years
    I was thinking of an FMA Fan-Fic. With Megan Fox and I as Characters. How should I start it? It involves having a fun time at a lake that is humongous and all sorts of stuff. It has all the FMA Characters in it.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    So now, i've always wanted a story about a girl being bullied or something, but it seems to not be working out, so I changed it, qoute,"xxxHollic Sub-Story Type Thing"Un-quote. Do you think i should change it back. Though I do like my new story (qoute from Yuko to Fai: "WHO THE HELL TOLD YOU THA YOU COULD TOUCH ME BLONDIE?!")

But I would like opinons on this issue.

Mikefox124

Silver Legend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2008
    I finally got to finish my plan for 'Seven Stones of Nature'. It's gonna be alot easier now that I don't have to improvise on the spot who should be there. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I'm starting a new fic titled Pokemon: New Journeys. Its about four new trainers. The original pokedex holders have been kidnapped,and various crime organizations have been revived. All of these organizations seem to have one common leader. Tell me what you think.

ze_gobou

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    Years
    Hello ! I have a question.
    Sometimes, when they write a long fic, authors decide to divide the fic into several "parts"... something like "books". (kinda hard to explain what I mean)
    So my question was : what are the "good" or and I found out that 3 was the "perfect" number of books. But what about fics divided in only 2 parts, because of their length for example ?

(I apologize for my poor English and lack of vocabulary...)

Years
    Hello ! I have a question.
    Sometimes, when they write a long fic, authors decide to divide the fic into several "parts"... something like "books". (kinda hard to explain what I mean)
    So my question was : what are the "good" or and I found out that 3 was the "perfect" number of books. But what about fics divided in only 2 parts, because of their length for example ?

(I apologize for my poor English and lack of vocabulary...)

Are you talking about a series? It really doesn't matter how many parts you dovode your story in. Trilogies are apparently popular in modern literature, but that doesn't mean it's a better format for your series.

Sometimes people divide their fics for the sake of creating sort of an epic feel, sometimes just to follow any popular standards or to make them look more 'official'. Proffesional authors divide their works into several books to percieve the audience's reception and to divide the profit. That way sequels can either known guaranteed or not and very long stories are not always appealing to the general reader.

Bay

Years
    ...Dang, hadn't been here in a LONG time XD.

Anyways, to answer your question ze gobu, there is no perfect number of books, although it is true that most people use three as they think it would be better if the story was broke up that may.

My fanfiction, "Nothing, Everything" will be in two books because there are two different arcs in this one. The first book is a bit slow paced and with my main character in a tight situation and trying to dealt it. The second book is more fast paced and of her finally getting into action.

So yeah, like what Careful With That Axe, Pichu said, sometimes the writer wants to make the story "epic". All in all though, it depends on the author! XD

ze_gobou

Years
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    ... What you said about your own fanfic makes me wonder something else : May I divide a fic into several books only for a matter of length, or does each book have to be a different "arc", to have a minor plot of its own ?

Years
    Now that's a good question! I didn't think of that at first. Yes, sequels are mostly used because they serve as an alternative as they can bear their own minor plot, still not deviating from the main continuity. But as for your inquiry, I don't think there are musts, it's really you call if you decide to structure a story either way, because of length or variety of plot. It'd be more understandable if you did it to divide plots, though.

Bay

Years
    Hehe, even though "Nothing, Everything" has two plots/arcs going on, they are related to each other and comes to terms of continuity. In short, the fanfiction is broken into two books like how Lord of the Rings is a trilogy XD.

Short of didn't make sense, huh? O.o;;

And yeah, "sequels" and "books" are different things. I had wrote a sequel for one of my one shots. Just a little "what is happening with them now?" sort of thing XD.

ze_gobou

Years
    I agree there are two sorts of sequels :
    - Those you weren't planning to write at first, like, as you said "What is happening with them now ?". The problem is that creating a whole new plot involving the characters of your first fic is usually a bad idea unless you clearly state it's just a different fic, because it can cause readers to change their mind completely about the first fanfic.
    - The "books", when the whole conflict wasn't resolved in the first fanfic, but only a part of it, a minor conflict. There's no point in stating whether making those are good or bad, because you can't stop your story while the conflict isn't solved. The real point is, is it better to make one fic or several parts of it ? Can a major turn in the plot be highlighted by the starting of a new "book" or may you show this turn just by changing chapter ?

(Poor English again... I fail to explain what I think)

Bay

Years
    - The "books", when the whole conflict wasn't resolved in the first fanfic, but only a part of it, a minor conflict. There's no point in stating whether making those are good or bad, because you can't stop your story while the conflict isn't solved. The real point is, is it better to make one fic or several parts of it ? Can a major turn in the plot be highlighted by the starting of a new "book" or may you show this turn just by changing chapter ?

Again, I think it depends on the writer. I think most writers both their long novel into "books" because there is so much going on it might confuse the reader, so they decided to break it down a bit to make it easier for them. At Serebii, there is one author who said how there is one fiction she is doing that will be in three arcs.

Take the Harry Potter books, for instance. There is like a gazillion things happening that it might become a very huge confusing book to read if it wasn't broken down into seven parts XD.

Hope this answers your question ;)

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
    Years
    Well, ze_gobu, I think it depends. If it's really just a minor plot, but you make it appear as the big plot, and then their's a revelation that really Team Rocket has a hundred cloning facilities instead of just one, or that, in a journey fic, the government changed the rules and they have to get two more badges before they can enter or something... I would leave it the same 'novel'.

Now, if Tony has already completed the pokemon league, and he's riding his Charizard and happens to fall off a cliff... While a sequel that dealt with psychic powers or the ability to fly he developed as he fell / used that he hadn't triggered before would probably be a new novel, because it's an entirely different theme.

So it's extension 'we've got more to do than I thought' versus 'done, something different.'

Well, for my long journey fic, I've them divided every 'mini arc.' Like in the first one my mc realizes he was prejudicing a few things, and then in the second mini arc my mc's best friend forgives my mc for going out with a girl they both hated but were stuck with... and so on.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    Haven't been here in awhile...

Now you know me, thats tupid little girl who never finishes her stories.

Anyways, I actually have an ending to the story this time. It's ahort either 3 part or two aprt story, I haven't decided, have to see how things go with it.

It's called "Lucky Cat", don't mind me. So anyways, how many parts should it have? Two or three? Should part two and three be con-joined?(Since right now in my head there are 3 parts)Just want to know which would you pick ("Weird question....")

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back