• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zadros

Burn
Years
    • Age 32
    • Aus
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in...

At my old school, we had a system for voting for school captains, where votes from the upper grades counted for more than the lower. So basically, you could have something like three 'grades'. The lowest being people who have only posted one or two reviews, new to the section and that sort of thing. Next, people who write decent fics and/or post a number of decent reviews, then finally the experienced writers/reviewers. Those in the two top categories would be able to nominate fics, (possibly needing an okay from the top level?). Then all three groups could vote, with different ratings assigned to each. As for deciding which category people belong in, and when they can move up, pick a few experienced users and let them choose.

Would that apply to what you're thinking about doing? If not, sorry for interrupting.

EDIT- Or you could make a fanfic Rotten Tomatoes XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Or maybe, a three part system in which we nominate those that are in the "praise for fics that aren't your own thread.".
    Because I'm dead sick, I'll just say that I'm leaning more towards this idea.

If anyone wants me to refute/add/develop ideas, it's going to have to wait until I can breathe again.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I've got no such suggestions, this feels out of my league. =|
    *pats*

If it acts as any consolation, I've never ran or participated in an awards show online, so I have no idea what's going on either. I think at one point I was posting just to get more views for my eggs higher post count a different view on things, where someone wasn't completely ready/wanting awards.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • *pats*

If it acts as any consolation, I've never ran or participated in an awards show online, so I have no idea what's going on either. I think at one point I was posting just to get more views for my eggs higher post count a different view on things, where someone wasn't completely ready/wanting awards.
    Lol, the only reason I'm an advocate of this is because I'm also an advocate of literacy. Also, the fact that we could get people to read more. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    With my ereader, I find that I am reading now (like on the bus and before bed). So far I've read the free book, The Prince and the Pauper. Though it didn't really refresh my reading out loud for class, even though it is Shakespeare, it is in it's own league. And aside from the prose, I swear the History Plays sound different...

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Wow, you guys are still trying to come up with a contest system?

We have been for like...three years or something. Off and on, at least.

Also, I have actually managed to complete chapter 25 of the E.C. It took eleven months. I just can't even believe it, really. It's getting beta'd at the moment, but expect it soon!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Wow, you guys are still trying to come up with a contest system?
    Let's see here...

When I became moderator in November 2007, I did away with Fanfiction of the Month. People wanted something to take its place.

It's now January 2010, and we're still trying.

But we made progress people! We actually have something I might approve!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Adder said:
    I skimmed for it, and found nothing. I'm too lazy to do an in-depth search. I also got distracted by the archetype conversation.
    It starts from these posts, and is probably still going on.

^But then wouldn't we be able to see each other's secret plots and twists and such? I mean it's fine for homework and thesis's and such, but I'm wary about it's applications for beta-ing fanfiction.

Then again, I've never used Google Docs so I don't know how it works, and I'm basing it on the last few posts. :P

Also, on the subject of proposals, what do you guys think of a Fanfiction of the Year(FFOTY) Award as opposed to a Fanfiction of The Month(Which is Moderator controlled apparently if I'm not mistaken)? With stricter rules and nominations instead of a popularity contest (i.e. Member of the Month MOTM)...

I think it could be done, but frankly I think that most voting things turn into popularity contests sooner or later. If not this year or the next, then probably sometime in the future. There's really no way not to make it a popularity contest except for making people give elaborate reasoning behind their nominations - which nobodylikes to do - or go take each nominated fic and read all the way through it - which no panel wants to do.

Well, I was wondering if the elaborate reasoning could be toned down a bit. I did think of that, but then I thought, people are lazy.

Instead, Fanfiction will be nominated by nominators which are selected through certain criteria. And then voters must also pass certain less strict criteria.

Also, I was thinking of adding Categories, such as Best use of Grammar, Favourite Protagonist, stuff like that.

Examples could be that Nominators must at least review 5 other works of fiction before nominating fiction for each of the categories. They may only nominate one piece of fiction in each category out of the allotted 5 unless they review another 5 fics. And when I say review, I mean have reviewed in the past.

...Or stuff like that.

But still, this is all just a proposal without Moderator Permission

Edit: *Gasps* I've just posted the prologue for NG-137 Synthetic Integration if anyone's interested... XD

That's a lot of work. And who would pick the people who would do the nominations?

Plus, that seems to knock out a few inhabitants of this section. I can think of a few people who haven't reviewed fics for whatever reason, and they might like to have their opinion known.

Then, y'know, what if there's some sort of stipulation on the depth of reviews accepted? Is it five reviews of any quality? Or is it five reviews of a high quality? There's a difference between people reviewing five different fics saying something like "Great job. Like X interaction between Y and Z. Keep it up!" and someone having a more-than-one page review that points out mistakes and shows how to correct them.

idk. I don't like putting some stipulations/tests on allowing people to vote. (But that may be my history nerd!side showing through.)

It's basically most of the last page.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Ok, I read it. The only question I have is: Would the contest for Other and Pokemon be separate or the same? Because (I believe) that they would be based upon different criteria.
    Well, I'd like to believe they'd be in the same contest, but with different Categories.

i.e.

Best Pokemon Fanfiction:
    Best Other Fanfiction:

something like that.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    And why might you only might approve?
    In my fogged-up can't-breathe state, I thought you were asking why I was the only one who could approve this.

I don't readily approve everything that's suggested. This causes problems when people lean towards the impatient side and go ahead with something that I haven't approved yet. But Mizan is awesome in that he doesn't do that, and we're working out the kinks in getting FFotY to get it to something we can all agree on.

Well, I'd like to believe they'd be in the same contest, but with different Categories.
    This.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, if you want a contest, I feel having categories for both Pokemon and Other Writing would be the way to go, presuming we can get it sorted. XD

IMHO, I feel anyone should be able to make the nominations and vote. It runs the problem that some people may just vote for their friend's fic or make a bad nomination or the such, but I don't feel we should restrict on who can suggest what they like, and if the nomination isn't the best option out there than it is unlikely to be voted for anyways, I feel... I like the idea of a points-structured system where one has to give a certain amount of points to each fic (1st = 10, 2nd = 8, 3rd = 6, etc, etc, as a rough example) though.

BTW I usually will be having a lot of free time during the next month, so I can help out with this if needed. =/

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Let's see here...

When I became moderator in November 2007, I did away with Fanfiction of the Month. People wanted something to take its place.

It's now January 2010, and we're still trying.

But we made progress people! We actually have something I might approve!

Well, if you get this thing going next month, you can say "27 months in the making." lol

Nice avatar btw.

EDIT: Go me: I killed the thread. >.>

Last edited:

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    ..... D: the FFL is dead?

NO THIS CANNOT BE

*prepares the paddles*

EVERYBODY CLEAR >O

Charging to 300!

CLEAR!

*zap*

What is the weirdest way you've overcome writer's block?

...and to keep on topic.

I guess my only concern with a FanFic of the month is that it'd become a popularity thing that was judged based on who's cool and who's not *cough* like motm*cough* within the section and not on the actual writing caliber or the product up for nomination. How would you assure us Asty that there wouldn't be some re-dee-koo-lush nonsense like that? :o

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back