• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years

Spoiler:

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • I am so far loving this. While Shirou is an idiot no matter how you look at it, he seems a little more normal in this series, which I hope they don't ruin because that was the main reason I didn't like the 2006 Fate/Stay Night. (Character development sucked a lot -Rin also felt plain and stereotyped; all that and the meh animation)

Imo, no matter how you approach it, you should watch Fate/Zero first. (Or play the VN if you want to) For those who have already watched/played Fate/Stay Night+ Fate/Zero, the hype is real.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I am so far loving this. While Shirou is an idiot no matter how you look at it, he seems a little more normal in this series, which I hope they don't ruin because that was the main reason I didn't like the 2006 Fate/Stay Night. (Character development sucked a lot -Rin also felt plain and stereotyped; all that and the meh animation)

Imo, no matter how you approach it, you should watch Fate/Zero first. (Or play the VN if you want to) For those who have already watched/played Fate/Stay Night+ Fate/Zero, the hype is real.

I strongly disagree with you acting like it's a given that you should watch it in chronological order. The story of Fate/Zero inherently wasn't made to be experienced before the story of Fate Stay/Night, because the LN was written after the VN had been out. Thus, it's very easy to come to the conclusion I had, which was "watch it how the story was meant to be told, FSN first and FZ after".

It's like deciding to watch Haruhi in broadcast order or in chronological order; they came in that order for a reason, but it still technically works in chronological order; you just lose a lot of the nuance that is created when the two fit together the way they're meant to.

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • I strongly disagree with you acting like it's a given that you should watch it in chronological order. The story of Fate/Zero inherently wasn't made to be experienced before the story of Fate Stay/Night, because the LN was written after the VN had been out. Thus, it's very easy to come to the conclusion I had, which was "watch it how the story was meant to be told, FSN first and FZ after".

It's like deciding to watch Haruhi in broadcast order or in chronological order; they came in that order for a reason, but it still technically works in chronological order; you just lose a lot of the nuance that is created when the two fit together the way they're meant to.

It's not because of the chronological order having something to do, but you definitely are missing some key points if you don't watch Fate/Zero before this one. It's ok if you watch the Fate route first, but I strongly recommend watching Fate/Zero before this new adaptation of UBW. I'd say people should play the Visual Novel first, but since we're talking about the anime here, that's just my recommendation.
    If the source for this adaptation is the Visual Novel and not the UBW movie, then you don't necessarily need to watch F/SN to get it.

For 2006's F/SN sure, it was awesome when it came out, but now that I'm more mature and critic with the anime I watch I must say it felt like I was watching SAO with poor animation.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's not because of the chronological order having something to do, but you definitely are missing some key points if you don't watch Fate/Zero before this one. It's ok if you watch the Fate route first, but I strongly recommend watching Fate/Zero before this new adaptation of UBW. I'd say people should play the Visual Novel first, but since we're talking about the anime here, that's just my recommendation.
    If the source for this adaptation is the Visual Novel and not the UBW movie, then you don't necessarily need to watch F/SN to get it.

For 2006's F/SN sure, it was awesome when it came out, but now that I'm more mature and critic with the anime I watch I must say it felt like I was watching SAO with poor animation.

The point is, those "key points" aren't key points at all when it comes to understanding FS/N; if they were no one would have understood or liked the visual novel when it came out because F/Z came after it (not to mention the tons of people - myself included - who loved the VN without knowing anything about Fate/Zero). Yes, there are things in FS/N that are explained in F/Z. But that doesn't mean you should watch the explanation first. The explanation came after for a reason.

Plus, in my viewing of Fate/Zero the show was much deeper because I knew the future of what would happen. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if I just interacted with it as a surface-level backstory with no knowledge of the rest of the universe.

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • The point is, those "key points" aren't key points at all when it comes to understanding FS/N; if they were no one would have understood or liked the visual novel when it came out because F/Z came after it (not to mention the tons of people - myself included - who loved the VN without knowing anything about Fate/Zero). Yes, there are things in FS/N that are explained in F/Z. But that doesn't mean you should watch the explanation first. The explanation came after for a reason.

Plus, in my viewing of Fate/Zero the show was much deeper because I knew the future of what would happen. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much if I just interacted with it as a surface-level backstory with no knowledge of the rest of the universe.

But Fate/Zero isn't a climatic part of the series, which is why I recommend watching it first. I have many friends who have watched Fate/Zero without knowledge of anything Fate-related and have loved it (and I totally feel like it's a more solid show on it's own than 2006's F/SN); F/SN doesn't complement F/Z the same as the other way around. In any case, I didn't mean it to sound like it's a MUST but it certainly makes everything more enjoyable, because by the time you watch UBW you're still missing a lot of twists that will be explained again and I'm sure will be pulled off better than watching them on F/SN.

For many F/SN fans prior to F/Z it was a great comeback for the series but that's because of the time lapse between both pieces of work. The hype is definitely not the same. If someone plans to watch it continuously without stopping for years, I'd still say watching F/Z first is probably the better option unless you want to play the VN.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But Fate/Zero isn't a climatic part of the series, which is why I recommend watching it first. I have many friends who have watched Fate/Zero without knowledge of anything Fate-related and have loved it (and I totally feel like it's a more solid show on it's own than 2006's F/SN); F/SN doesn't complement F/Z the same as the other way around. In any case, I didn't mean it to sound like it's a MUST but it certainly makes everything more enjoyable, because by the time you watch UBW you're still missing a lot of twists that will be explained again and I'm sure will be pulled off better than watching them on F/SN.

For many F/SN fans prior to F/Z it was a great comeback for the series but that's because of the time lapse between both pieces of work. The hype is definitely not the same. If someone plans to watch it continuously without stopping for years, I'd still say watching F/Z first is probably the better option unless you want to play the VN.

Well my experience was from playing the VN like the year before Fate/Zero came out, so the time gap isn't really relevant to me.

It's not that I think Fate/Zero doesn't stand fine on its own; I think we can both agree that both series can be watched fine on their own. But it's just not right to say "it certainly makes everything more enjoyable" as if that's a fact (and I'm not really buying that "every way you approach it my way is better" wasn't meant to make it seem like your way is a must). That's subjective. It's not inherently more enjoyable to watch the show in reverse order from when it was released. It may be to you, but that doesn't mean that's the way it is as a fact. I strongly recommend the opposite of you for any new watchers; at least watchers that enjoy nuance and a deeper, better story than a surface level relationship with characters and plot.

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • Well my experience was from playing the VN like the year before Fate/Zero came out, so the time gap isn't really relevant to me.

It's not that I think Fate/Zero doesn't stand fine on its own; I think we can both agree that both series can be watched fine on their own. But it's just not right to say "it certainly makes everything more enjoyable" as if that's a fact (and I'm not really buying that "every way you approach it my way is better" wasn't meant to make it seem like your way is a must). That's subjective. It's not inherently more enjoyable to watch the show in reverse order from when it was released. It may be to you, but that doesn't mean that's the way it is as a fact. I strongly recommend the opposite of you for any new watchers; at least watchers that enjoy nuance and a deeper, better story than a surface level relationship with characters and plot.

What I meant with that part is that either you watch F/SN before or after F/Z, you should still watch F/Z before UBW, sorry if that wasn't too clear, I didn't mean to impose anything ): and that was just my opinion, it's not like I'm forcing anyone to do that.

I personally don't think that F/Z is seen as having surface level relationship with characters and plot, maybe that was your opinion but for me it was pretty much the other way around; F/SN it's the one lacking, not F/Z. I would rather tell people to just skip F/SN and play the visual novel instead.

Just remember that anything I, or anyone else write here about the subject it's inevitably gonna be biased; I thought that was implicit.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What I meant with that part is that either you watch F/SN before or after F/Z, you should still watch F/Z before UBW, sorry if that wasn't too clear, I didn't mean to impose anything ): and that was just my opinion, it's not like I'm forcing anyone to do that.

I personally don't think that F/Z is seen as having surface level relationship with characters and plot, maybe that was your opinion but for me it was pretty much the other way around; F/SN it's the one lacking, not F/Z. I would rather tell people to just skip F/SN and play the visual novel instead.

Just remember that anything I, or anyone else write here about the subject it's inevitably gonna be biased; I thought that was implicit.

Okay for the record - when I say FS/N, I'm talking about this show, the thread we're on, lol. Or the visual novel, depending on the context. I'm not at all talking about the original anime adaptation, I was told to skip it so I did.

I'm saying that watching it in chronological order, to me, creates a surface level understanding of the characters. Not that Fate/Zero is surface-level and FS/N is deep. Gonna put this in spoilers for those that haven't finished FS/N or watched F/Z, but this is what I mean in an example.

Spoiler:

It's possible that ufotable will intentionally make their show in a way that it's meant to be watched back-to-back; however, it's far too soon to say whether or not that's true so I have to go with how the original VN and LN were supposed to be experienced. It's so much richer to follow (Sakura example again I'M SORRY I LOVE HER)

Spoiler:

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • Okay for the record - when I say FS/N, I'm talking about this show, the thread we're on, lol. Or the visual novel, depending on the context. I'm not at all talking about the original anime adaptation, I was told to skip it so I did.

I'm saying that watching it in chronological order, to me, creates a surface level understanding of the characters. Not that Fate/Zero is surface-level and FS/N is deep. Gonna put this in spoilers for those that haven't finished FS/N or watched F/Z, but this is what I mean in an example.

Spoiler:

It's possible that ufotable will intentionally make their show in a way that it's meant to be watched back-to-back; however, it's far too soon to say whether or not that's true so I have to go with how the original VN and LN were supposed to be experienced. It's so much richer to follow (Sakura example again I'M SORRY I LOVE HER)

Spoiler:

Ok, NOW I can agree with you haha. It was confusing since I've been referring to the 2006's anime adaptation. At the end it all depends on how this series tie everything, though. My personal experience was that I played the VN after Fate/Zero, and to be honest it didn't took away to the feeling and the hype of seeing things happening, even if I knew things a normal player wouldn't; so I stand firm with my recommendation: Fate/Zero should still be perfectly watchable before this one without losing the feels (It is better if you just skip the Fate adaptation so there's more twists for you to see in this one).

Spoiler:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Well, I haven't read or watched anything from this series before and I watched the prologue and first episodes and I really liked it a lot. I love the animation, first off, and it seems to be a pretty popular series so I'm wondering where it'll take us. Does this end up like Mirai Nikki where the Masters just go around killing the other ones, and that's the extent of the plot?

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well, I haven't read or watched anything from this series before and I watched the prologue and first episodes and I really liked it a lot. I love the animation, first off, and it seems to be a pretty popular series so I'm wondering where it'll take us. Does this end up like Mirai Nikki where the Masters just go around killing the other ones, and that's the extent of the plot?

Well..somewhat. That's basically how the story is going. Last one standing is the winner xD

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Well, I haven't read or watched anything from this series before and I watched the prologue and first episodes and I really liked it a lot. I love the animation, first off, and it seems to be a pretty popular series so I'm wondering where it'll take us. Does this end up like Mirai Nikki where the Masters just go around killing the other ones, and that's the extent of the plot?

That's the basic premise, yes. They're mostly after each other. With a few exceptions like our main character, of course. :p

I personally believe people should watch Fate/Zero before watching this. A lot of characters and their motivations become clear once you've seen that. Sure, it spoils you about one of the upcoming twists regarding the kind of character (good/bad) one of the characters is as well as some things about character relationships, but I believe that's a small price to pay considering the fact that you gain so much knowledge about the characters you're dealing with in this show. Some of the questions you'd be able to answer after having seen Fate/Zero would be - what really happened ten years ago? Why is Shirou so fixated on his "hero of justice" thing? Why did Shirou's dad have a totally different outlook on "hero of justice"? Who is the "fake priest"? Who is the white-haired girl with Berserker? Who Rin and Sakura really are? Who is this blond character that popped up in the prologue as well as the first episode?

Those, and a lot of other questions. And Fate/Zero is a great watch (at least I think so) as well so it isn't like you're gonna waste time.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I watched an episode or two of Fate/Zero because it's a recommended start, but didn't really get into it. :(

However, I have started on this one and I'm really enjoying the fights. Saber, Archer, and Berserker were amazing in the latest episode.

Years
  • Fate/Zero was amazing but the first few episodes do start off a little slow so I'd recommend getting through some more if you're able!

Spoiler:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really love the animation too the fights are so amazing I'm really loving this. Normally I wouldn't care too much for art style but when it's like this, hnnnng <3

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • That fight in ep #3 was definitely pretty goddamn amazing. I knew Berserker would be strong as **** but I was blown away by the portrayal that ufotable managed to do in here, haha. He seems so damn imposing and monstrous.

Fate/Zero just doesn't do it for some people, really. It is heavily dialogue-oriented and the first episodes more so than the later episodes rely on it and hence end up being boring. But I really, really like the anime and would definitely recommend trying to watch a little more if you can. It is good.

Back