• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite graphics?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • Seeing as Game Freak has tried a lot of different styles when it comes to the aesthetic of the Pokémon game series, I'm wondering which one appealed to you the most? And why? What was it about it that appealed to you the most?

Years
  • As much as I love the new 3D graphics, my favourite has to be from FRLG. I just loved the way those games looked, in particular Cerulean City - there was always something about Nugget Bridge above the water that appealed to me. HGSS is close in second, that game has beautiful graphics and the Bellchime Trail looks amazing with the golden trees.

I guess nostalgia has a major part in my choice, but the FireRed and LeafGreen graphics will always win it for me :)

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • The graphics from D/P/Pt and HG/SS appealed to me the most. I love the new 3D, but as stated above, I really love pixel games. And I thought it was really cool to have the pixel characters with a pseudo-3D overworld to travel through. The style was very unique and adorable to me and I was kind of sad to see it go.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • Definitely SS/HG, mixture with Gen I & II, along side with high quality of III! A-m-a-z-i-n-g!

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • Maybe I'm the only one who thought Gen 5's was the best...
    I liked the pre-3D graphics, and it was still animated, so. It felt more real than previous generations, while managing to not be full 3D. Not to say Gen 6 is bad, of course, but I didn't like the way they pulled off the 3D. It just didn't sit right.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Let's see how the upcoming Sun/Moon game compare to the past games. The graphics don't really evolve much. But its the game play that matters~ :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gen V. X/Y graphics were great and all but I just much prefer the style that Black & White introduced. The sprites from that generation are probably my favourite of all and idk, the artwork and style in general surpasses any other for me.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Boy, I came in here with the intention of saying X and Y, but then I remembered FireRed and LeafGreen had some gorgeous graphics, menus, and sprites.

In fact... going to find my DS and play one now...

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • As far as color pallets go I like Pokemon X/Y and the Unova games (at least during some seasons, I forget whether it was summer or spring I liked better than the other) the best. I like the 3D of X/Y and OR/AS the best... But OR/AS are way too bright and oversaturated for me. X/Y is colorful, but not overtly so.

BurningChrome

Alain Kalos League Champion 2016
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2016
    I'm really liking Sun/Moon's character models its the first pokemon game to truly pass Colloseum/XD in terms of visuals.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • Hmm... Strictly speaking, Battle Revolution surpassed XD/Coliseum's graphics. The style was similar, but BR used a much newer engine, so naturally its visual appeal was better.

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
  • BW were amazing to me, i perfer 2D battle sprites over 3D pokemons and seeing the sprites moving felt amazing. Also all the attack effects looked fantastic and the status as well so BW wins for me.
    Gen 6 had some weird things because of the 3d maps and pokemons, the maps look way too flat and some pokemons like torkoal (his smoke) dont look very good.
    Battle Revolutuion's 3d graphics were pretty amazing and well made too

hoboNEET

Waiting For The Apocalypse
    Years
  • G/S/C, I can't really explain it, but when GB became GBC it was revolutionary for many of us, an actual palette of color, it was something that blew our minds back in the day. To this day, Gold/Silver/Crystal have been and always will be my preferred choice.

Years
  • Black 2 and White 2 most definitely. Seeing seasons animated, Pokemon sprites doing their little pre-programmed dance, and the few cutscenes were pretty amazing.

Boda69

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    HeartGold and SoulSilver have my favourite art style by far.

Guest123_x1

The 3D polygonal graphics used in Generation VI really impress me, especially when walking in certain places that cause the "camera" to move (such as in Mauville City in OR/AS). Also, from what I've been seeing so far with the revealed screenshots of in-game footage for Sun/Moon, I'm expecting a significant improvement in overworld navigation and battles.
    A close second for me would be the 8-bit graphics in Generation II. Especially in G/S/C's Kanto, the fact that Generation II was targeted for the Game Boy Color gave the classic tilesets a significant boost as compared to Generation I.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    This is really hard...

Platinum has a special place in my heart for the improved artwork, and I love Gen 5's sprite-work too, but Gen 3 overall sticks out to me the most, they still hold up pretty well and look gorgeous!~ I love the updated 3d artwork for Hoenn, but I'm not sure if I'm used to it yet. I hope Sun and Moon change my mind on that

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gen VI's graphics are the best to me, IMO, since they're in full 3D. Gens IV and V come in close for mixing 2D and 3D effectively.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Yellow: Perfect balance of crispness, minimalism and colors. Every town has it's own palette to give it extra character, it worked very well.

GSC: Extraordinary color palette with a very clever Day/Night/Morning system that looks amazing. I just wished the grass was less green. GSC maintained the integrity and minimalism off RBY, It's almost impossible to describe how good it looks on a small GBC-screen.

FR/LG: Tilesets looks sharp and the detail is quite stunning (marching through Mt. Moon had me realise that!). The color of the grass was a neat change. But it sadly suffers from a head-bigger-than-body syndrome. The sprites looks hideous and childish.

I haven't played anything ahead of Emerald, so can't comment about that. But when I saw the D/P graphics for the first time, I made a conscious decision to not spend anymore money on Pokemon and since then, I've been into a Dark Age.

Back