• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Starter from Previous Generations.

Years
  • Hello everyone!
    I am making this thread so I can learn some more about you guys! This thread is about your favorite starters from each previous generation. I will start.
    Gen 1
    Charmander
    Gen 2
    Totodile
    Gen 3
    Mudkip
    Gen 4
    Chimchar
    Gen 5
    Oshawatt
    Gen 6
    Froakie

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    for me it'd probably be

Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: Blaziken
    Gen 4: idk
    Gen 5: Snivy
    Gen 6: Froakie

or something like that

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Including evolutions...

Kanto: Wartortle, one of my top favorite Pokémon
    Johto: Meganium or Bayleef
    Hoenn: Aesthetically, Mudkip, but Sceptile is more significant to me
    Sinnoh: Piplup
    Unova: Oshawott is probably my favorite base-stage Starter overall. Dewott is also very cool.
    Kalos: Fennekin

Last edited:

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • Gen 1
    Charmander
    Gen 2
    Chikorita
    Gen 3
    Torchic
    Gen 4
    Turtwig
    Gen 5
    Oshawott
    Gen 6
    Chespin
    Gen 7 (seeing as it's almost a past gen now)
    Rowlet

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Generation I:

I like all of them, but if I had to pick one I have the most bias towards of the three, I'd definitely say Bulbasaur. But, like I said, I love all three of them, so really picking a favorite is difficult.

Generation II:

Chikorita, for sure. It may be difficult to use, but I've always liked it more than all the other Johto starters.

Generation III:

Treecko, obviously, it's my favorite Pokemon of all time and I don't feel like spilling another huge word vomit about that, lol.

Generation IV:

Chimchar. I think this was a Fire/Fighting starter done right, and I really like that it has a Journey to the West for it. It's executed extremely well.

Generation V:

It's always been Oshawott for me. Dewott is one of my favorite Pokemon, so, yeah. But to be honest, I've always been disappointed by the Unova starters... All of them in their final forms were just a letdown.

Generation VI:

Fennekin. But, tbh, I'm not a super huge fan of any of the Kalos starters, but I remember liking Fennekin when I first saw it during pre-release material, so.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • 1: Ironically, my favourites of this gen are a tie between the ones that aren't the Water starter. Charizard is fast and hard hitting enough to defeat mons before they can do anything to it and Venusaur has Sleep powder and Leech seed and works fine offesively too.

2: Totodile. Feraligatr is extremely powerful, fast, and has tons of coverage. And Ice fang.

3: Mudkip, but I like them all! All 3 of them are very powerful and are great to use.

4: I'll post my full thoughts in the thread for it, but overall I think all of them are very good to use and I like them all. This and the above are the 2 best gens for starters.

5: Oshawott. I wish Samurott had a better lvl up moveset but it's alright. It's TM and relearner movepool is much better though and 2 weaknesses is good.

6: Froakie. Greninja is very fun to use and makes the game more interesting because it's really good.

7: Popplio. Primarina is very good and powerful and I've always enjoyed using it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2021
    Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil
    Gen 3: Torchic
    Gen 4: Piplup
    Gen 5: Oshawott
    Gen 7: Rowlet

As you can see, I was obsessed with fire starters, then switched to water, but I couldn't resist Rowlet. Out of all these, I can say Charmander and Rowlet are my faves.

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Oct 28, 2019
    1. A tie between bulbasaur and charmander. Bulbasaur has always resonated with me as a pokémon, and I love that it's a dual type from the get go. In Kanto, it's incredibly useful in the early-game, growing to be an absolute monster, and in Kalos, its bulk makes most battles a breeze. Charmander's line is objectively awesome-looking, and while it's tough to work with in early Kanto, after the second gym in Kalos, it tears through every other opponent. My charizard in X was the MVP of my team.

2. Probably totodile because it was the one I first picked in HGSS, though I love all the Johto starters. In Johto, the middle evolutions shine: croconaw is a good balance of adorable and fierce; quilava is, imo, better designed than typhlosion; and bayleef has the best middle design out of all three starters.

3. Treecko, but I've been developing a soft spot for mudkip. I wasn't really interested in Hoenn when I first played RSE, but in ORAS, my sceptile ripped through anything I put it up against, and its mega evolution design is pretty cool imo. I've also begun to appreciate mega swampert lately, and mudkip is adorable.

4. Chimchar, hands down, but I love all three. Piplup reminds me of ice cream and turtwig is one of the cutest pokémon out there imo, but chimchar's line has everything going for it. It's cute, but it evolves into something objectively cool-looking, has an excellent physical-special balance, is fast, is one of the few available fire types in DP before Platinum fixed that mistake... it's an all-round great 'mon.

5. Oshawott, but only for sentimental reasons. The samurott I raised in my hard mode White 2 solo nuzlocke single-handedly carried me through the entire game without fainting, and I only really decided to attempt a sololocke because my oshawott caught pokérus before the first gym — my only ever sighting of it. I'd not had a favourite Unova starter until that point, since I liked them all equally, but after that, oshawott climbed to number one.

6. Froakie. I love delphox's design, and I think chespin is super cute, but I hate braixen with a burning passion and quilladin is... mediocre in design imo. Froakie is the only one of the three that has an evolution line I like at each stage, and I think it's a great 'mon if you ignore the fact that water shuriken was a physical move in XY.

7. A tie between litten and popplio. Litten's evolution line is awesome and popplio's is beautiful. I don't really have much more to say; I just really love the designs.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 1
    Venusaur, my favorite starter and one of my favorite pokemon of all time.

Gen 2
    Feraligatr, love this Pokemon and its pre-evolutions and it's also my 3rd favorite starter of all time

Gen 3
    Sceptile, this one was hard because I kinda like all 3 equally but I picked Sceptile because I like its entire evolution line and for the other two I only like their final evolutions

Gen 4
    Torterra, awesome design and concept for a Pokemon. Infernape is a very close second and Empoleon is third because I kinda dislike it

Gen 5
    Serperior, favorite starter from my favorite generation and also my second favorite starter of all time. Emboar is second and Samurott is third, I like Samurott a lot too but it's just kinda meh compared to the other two starters from this gen.

Gen 6
    I'm actually not a huge fan of any of the Kalos starters but if I had to pick one then I'll go with Chesnaught. I guess I could go with Frogadier too if I don't have to evolve it into Greninja because I really don't like Greninja.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 1: tie between Charmander and Bulbasaur;

Gen 2: Cyndaquil;

Gen 3: Torchic, my first starter ever;

Gen 4: Chimchar, my Pearl starter (if I have to pick only one, I really like all three);

Gen 5: Snivy;

Gen 6: Fennekin, I love Delphox!

(And for when Gen 7 gets included in 3 weeks, Litten.)

Years
  • Gen 1: Squirtle (imo the cutest starter from kanto. fight me)
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil (those eyes are the best and you know it)
    Gen 3: all of them (sorry i've played with all of them and I can confirm 101 percent that they are all perfect)
    Gen 4: Chimchar (the best fire/fighting starter and infernape has type advantage over torterra and empoleon somehow)
    Gen 5: Oshawott (i think snivy is better competitively but i don't really care about that. this pokemon is a samurai)
    Gen 6: Froakie (greninja is better than delphox and chesnaught competitively.... ok that's not entirely true but froakie is hella cute and its evolution is fierce!)
    Gen 7: Litten (i've played with primarina as well and its awesome. its just that torracat's whiskers are life)

User Anon 1848

Gen 2: Cyndaquil
    Gen 3: Torchic
    Gen 4: Piplup
    Gen 5: Snivy

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I'm gonna interpret this question as base forms only...
    GEN 1
    Probably Bulbasaur, although Charmander comes pretty close.
    GEN 2
    Chikorita!
    GEN 3
    Torchic (which is ironic, because its final form is my least favorite).
    GEN 4
    Ohhh, I love them all...but ultimately, I think I'm gonna go with Piplup.
    GEN 5
    OSHAWOTT
    S
    H
    A
    W
    O
    T
    T
    GEN 6
    Fennekin!
    GEN 7
    Rowlet!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    Ooh this is a fun question
    gen 1: I don't have a favorite line but the three middle evos are my favorite of the 9 designs
    gen 2: totodile
    gen3: treecko
    gen 4: probably piplup line but it's a hard one
    gen 5: tepig, don't @ me
    gen 6: Chesnaught, don't @ me
    gen 7: either litten or rowlet

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    To simplify things, the answer is pretty much always the water starter. Cyndaquil is a fairly close second in gen 2, and in general, I haven't been that wild about the starters since gen 5.

1: Squirtle
    2: Totodile
    3: Mudkip
    4: Piplup
    5: Oshawott
    6: Froakie
    7: Popplio

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Kanto: Probably Bulbasaur
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Mudkip (though I prefer Sceptile over Swampert)
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Unova: Honestly, base stages I love all of them, but Snivy is the only one with a good evolution chain
    Kalos: Froakie
    Alola: Popplio

Years
  • Bulbasaur for Kanto
    Cyndaquil for Johto but I hesitated with Totodile
    Mudkip for Hoenn
    Chimchar for Sinnoh
    Snivy for Unova
    Froakie for Kalos
    Rowlet for Alola

Last edited:
    Back