• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Boss Music

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Just to go with the recent favourite boss battles thread, what's your favourite boss battle music? It could be any boss, final, optional, DLC, secret, whatever. Go crazy. I know I will.

Favourite Boss Music

I've carved my own path
    You followed your wrath
    But maybe we're both the same
    The world has turned
    And so many have burned
    But nobody is to blame

Favourite Boss Music

And it will come
    Through the darkest day
    In my final hour
    And it will never rest
    Until the clouds are clear
    Until it finds my dreams have disappeared

Favourite Boss Music

Favourite Boss Music

Born
    Into a pack
    There's no choice
    But take orders to attack
    Locked up in chains
    I get fed
    But the hunger still remains
    Not content to live this way
    Being led by the blind
    Got to plan my dispersal
    Time to leave them all behind

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I have so many!!!

Final Fight 3 vs Black
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNihsbcvIeQ

Pokemon Sapphire vs Elite Four
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJucwiJ4iQM

Kirby Triple Deluxe vs Queen Sectonia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSPyka_fcu4

Sonic Adventure 2 vs Finalhazard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag

Pokemon FireRed vs Blue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfJO366AM4

Pokemon HeartGold vs Lance or Red
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCxZ9SMABs

Pokemon Colosseum vs Miror B.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67YWv5C6qQ

Yoshi's Island vs Bowser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Ose7A8P94

Sonic 06 vs Solaris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe3h1iQ1Os

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire vs Archie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3mccI1DjY

I have SO MUCH more but I don't want to make my list any longer than it needs to be. I have a lot of favorite boss music from Pokemon White 2 so I'll just say White 2 has my most favorite boss music in any game.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    This boss theme though:

It's perfect! One of my favs. <33 Beating up polar beaaars.

But to be honest, Tropic Freeze had one of the best soundtracks for bosses, imo. :3

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Sapphire/ruby elite four music.
    The only other ones i can think of are vs Cynthia, vs red and a non pokemon paper mario thousand year door vs the witch lady lol forgetful

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yeah, I'm not doing this. I see what you're doing Spino, trying to make me waste hours searching for all those boss songs that I love until, once I'm done, I realize it's Christmas.

So, instead, I'll post 5 of my favorites. They won't necessarily be my 5 top favorites, but they are definitely among my top picks. And, on that note, only one per series. Also, sorry in advance for the descriptions, I'm not the best at explaining why I like songs and picking them apart to explain the meats (which shows a lot in my reviews).

-----

Persona 4 - The Fog

This theme is often overshadowed by pretty much any other boss or battle theme in Persona 4, and this is because it's only played once, and it plays for probably the shortest time of any of the other songs in the game. Heck, even I forgot it existed until I heard it as the Instant Kill theme in Persona 4 Arena. It's a shame, too, because this song is pretty powerful and really does well to keep you on the edge of your seat for the final battle.

---

Phantom Brave - R&R Junkie

Phantom Brave has a great soundtrack, pretty much all of its songs are earworms to some extent, but if I had to choose my favorite boss theme from the game, it would probably be R&R Junkie, the theme of the boisterous Chroma Hunter, Walnut. I love everything about this theme, one part somber, all parts Western, this song is the perfect reflection of the character it accompanies, and I love it to death.

---

Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom - Necrofantasia

If this were a list of my definite top favorites, this song wouldn't be on here. It couldn't be on here. There are FAR too many Touhou songs that I would have to wade through, make pros and cons lists of, create polls for, and do in-depth analyses of to get the correct answer for what my favorite it, because Touhou music is too good to just choose from. In fact, you know what, better idea.

Touhou

That list right there? Yeah, that's a mostly accurate.

...Though, on second thought, Necrofantasia is one of my favorite Touhou songs. When I think of the best boss theme, Necrofantasia definitely comes to mind. It may not be my favorite, but it's definitely up there.

---

Final Fantasy XIII - Saber's Edge

Say what you will about Final Fantasy XIII, but it had great music. Though XIII isn't the first FF game to use orchestrals throughout the entirety of its soundtrack, it certainly is the one that utilizes them to their fullest, and I think this song is a pretty good indicator of that.

---

Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus

With an ominous lead in that quickly translates into a fast-paced theme, this is the battle theme when fighting Magus, the one who is surely behind all that happens in Chrono Trigger. Obviously back then, games didn't have orchestral renditions and such, and while this song doesn't use the most instruments, this one always felt the closest to that. Despite being relatively simple, it's a multifaceted song. Even though it's fast-paced and sinister, it still devotes itself to complimenting the dark setting that the battle takes place in, with distant laughter and that ever so chilling intro. At the same time, it feels pretty grand, like it deserves more than what could have been given at the time in terms of musical capabilities were concerned. It's a grand song that really does well to compliment the magnitude of the battle, as well as Magus himself.

---

On a mostly unrelated note, to those of you that read this, I would really recommend posting links like Spino and Alfieri did rather than the posting the videos themselves. Reason being, the videos make the page take longer to load, and as more posts come in the longer it'll take. I've seen threads like this take up to a minute to load in their entirety because of direct video posts.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Doomsday Zone/Super Mecha Sonic - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Favourite Boss Music
    Favourite Boss Music

This music is quite possibly the best boss theme that the Sonic series has ever produced. This theme does exactly what a boss theme is supposed to do: Give you a sense of urgency while simultaneously pumping you up. Chasing the Kyodai Eggman Robo through a Meteor field, while Hyper Sonic, with this song playing is absolutely perfect!

Last edited:

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
    OP started what I like, and I will add on to it.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    - A Stranger I Remain

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Collective Conciousness

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - The Only Thing I Know For Real

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Rules of Nature

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Red Sun

Now to the others:

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Boss Battle

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Archangel Battle

Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names

Double Dragon Neon -Boss - Skullmageddon

Monster Hunter 3/3U
    -Ravenous Demon

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom - Necrofantasia

If this were a list of my definite top favorites, this song wouldn't be on here. It couldn't be on here. There are FAR too many Touhou songs that I would have to wade through, make pros and cons lists of, create polls for, and do in-depth analyses of to get the correct answer for what my favorite it, because Touhou music is too good to just choose from. In fact, you know what, better idea.

Touhou

That list right there? Yeah, that's a mostly accurate.

...Though, on second thought, Necrofantasia is one of my favorite Touhou songs. When I think of the best boss theme, Necrofantasia definitely comes to mind. It may not be my favorite, but it's definitely up there.

Fixed. Perfect Cherry Blossom, not Imperishable Night.

Anyway, I don't have a complete list yet (though I may possibly edit this later on), but for now, Final Fantasy XIII - Fighting Fate. Why this is one of my favorites is...well, a bizarre reason. Fighting Barthandelus made me think of Pope Benedict for some strange reason, and his boss theme would later stick in my head for a good amount of time.

Years
    Obligatory mention of Final Fantasy IX's boss theme, Sword of Doubt, and Dark Messenger because that entire soundtrack is great, if not the best in the series.

Also:

Unavoidable Battle from Persona 3, which should have been the boss theme throughout the game, or at least for everything after the first boss. But nope, instead we get the boring theme they used instead and only get Unavoidable Battle for two laughably short boss fights.

I'll Face Myself Reincarnation -Battle-, which is used all of once in Persona 4 Golden so it totally counts.

Midboss Battle Theme from Shin Megami Tensei IV, because I apparently always like the boss themes that are used the least in this series.

Fury Sparks from Tales of Vesperia

Meaning of Birth from Tales of the Abyss and I'm going to stop myself there while I'm thinking about it.

pkmin3033

The God Slaying Sword (Xenoblade Chronicles) - I dragged the battle out just to get to the climax at around 3:12. It still gives me chills whenever I hear it. After struggling immensely with the boss just before this one, demolishing the final boss with this playing in the background was the best reward I could ask for.

Song of Ancients - Fate (NieR)
    - If you've played NieR, you'll know why this one is so special. Plus I love it when bosses since their own battle theme whilst they're fighting.

Blu Bird (NieR) - I remember hearing this play on the official teaser site. I knew the second that I heard it that I would buy this game immediately and love it. It's rare to hear boss battle themes like this these days.

Esper Battle (FFXII) - This one always got my heart pounding.

Natural Born Dolls (Demon Gaze) - The entire soundtrack to this game is mind-numbingly addicting...it's the Vocaloids. I'd never really listened to a Vocaloid track in any shape or form before this game, so it was something new for me.

Serpent Eating the Ground (Bravely Default) - After all it took to get to this, it's only proper that it be this good. Gods...

How Wicked Ruler (Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria) - One of Sakuraba's better boss themes, I think. But then, considering the boss that accompanied it...

You Go Girl! (Disgaea 4) - I've always liked this theme, but for some reason Fuka's version sticks right in my head, even though it's unbearably annoying. But I still love it for some obscure reason.

Dance of Sadness (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - A simple piano battle theme that definitely fit the sisters Suisei---I mean, Stella and Loretta. It was quite a nice thing to listen to, considering how chaotic and thoroughly aggravating this boss was if you wanted to purify them for the true ending...

Heart of Chaos (FFXIII-2) - I've developed an appreciation for this one because of Theatrhythm. Play it on Expert or above and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's actually got a great rhythm to it, despite the annoying slowdown at the end.

Splash (Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1) - The 8-bit battle in the original game was one of my favourite things about it; the techno remix the Vita remake gave it was surprisingly good. I've always tried to pay as little attention to the OST of this series as possible, as it is nowhere near as good as it ought to be, but this was a nice exception.

Challenge an Arch Demon (Dragon Age: Origins) - A fitting climax to a fantastic game. This had the "OH HELL, IT'S A DRAGON!" vibe down pat.

Vs. Dark Samus (Metroid Prime 2) - The first couple of battles fought against Dark Samus were amazing, and this was a huge part of it. The second battle in the elevator is easily my favourite: listening to this whilst trying to avoid her as she rockets around in morph ball like it's a pinball machine is pretty intense.

Colony Collapse Disorder (Atelier Escha & Logy) - This is just creepy.

Bayonetta's boss themes in general - Seriously, for a game with otherwise mediocre to awful soundtrack, these themes were INCREDIBLE. They captured the fast-paced, hectic nature of the gameplay of this game, and the dramatic choir complemented the holy (yet thoroughly disturbing and often gross) nature of the angelic opponents. Especially You May Call Me Father.

...there are more. I'll edit this later.

Reactions: Nah

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Jesus Lord, here we go. I'll try my best, but I know I'm going to forget something.

Fyrus Battle - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    The way the music works with the introduction of the boss is flawless. The song is fast paced like my heartbeat in this fight. Granted, it's not really a hard fight, but it is terrifying. I find myself hiding behind pillars from this creature, and that's a detail of the fight I admire. You can hide from Fyrus and he starts to search you out. It's pretty neat. Small, but cool. And again, the fantastic track just adds to the experience. I love all the music in this game, especially the temples and boss battles, but this takes the cake. The great triumphant piece that plays as you land blows with your sword on the boss is great as well and really keeps you going. In the link I provided, it plays towards the end, so keep listening for it.

Decisive Battle With Magus - Chrono Trigger
    Where to begin? The fight begins with the black wind howling...and if you've played the game, you get what I mean. This song just really suits the fight and it just gives the feel of something more. I even prefer this boss battle track to the final boss'. Up to this point in the game, you think Magus is the bad guy anyway, so in a way, it feels like a final boss. Magus is definitely a major one. This song is just powerful overall and I love it. There are also notes of that scary laugh track that plays as you traverse Magus' Lair before this fight, so that's a nice touch as well.

Boss Battle - Final Fantasy IV
    This is probably my favorite boss battle music of all time. It's catchy, it's fast paced, it's frantic, and it gets its point across. It makes the fight seem bigger than what it really is. I could be fighting a goblin or something stupid and this song would make me take the fight seriously even though it's one I could win in one hit. I had the pleasure of playing this song as a ditty my second year in college marching band and that is what actually introduced me to this track and prompted me to play Final Fantasy IV. This song also has a remix in Super Mario RPG against the secret boss, Culex.

Battle Against the Masked Man - Mother 3
    I don't think I could find the proper words to describe this song. To anyone that hasn't played the game or doesn't know the full story of Mother 3, this song might not seem like a big deal, but to those that have, it ends up as being something really powerful. I find it scary in a way and I find it to be a difficult piece to get through a listen because of the emotions it fills me with. I don't even have to be in the fight to know. I urge everyone that hasn't already played this game to give it a go and get to this point in the game. Maybe you'll feel what I feel...but I'm also a big emotional sack of tears.

Ultimate Bowser - Super Mario 64
    This is terrifying and up until this point in the game, none of the songs have been really scary. But JESUS this still scares me. But it's just so GOOD. I don't know why Nintendo was obsessed with final bosses and organs on the N64, but it damn sure works here.

Revived Power - Shadow of the Colossus
    I think this is something that can speak for itself.

Dark Maker Finale - Jak 3
    This is probably my favorite piece in the entire Jak series. This track is gorgeous and really sums up my feelings at the end of the game. While the track is upbeat and keeps you going, it has a lot of sadness in the mix, I'd say. Jak 3 isn't a tearjerker by any means, but it does have a pretty sad moment that comes up bit before this fight. I'd like to think this song is a culmination of emotions from our hero at the end of the journey during this fight. And while I'm not typically a fan of remixes, there is a fantastic remix of this track called Obsidian Purgatory which I highly recommend as well. I have both of these versions on my phone and listen to them quite a bit and love them both. The original for the more somber feeling and the remix for adding more symphonic elements to the already fantastic song.

I think that's it from me. I listened to each of these as I wrote about them respectively as well, so that helps a lot. They each gave me clear visions of what I was doing in these games when this music was playing. Great feeling. I hope you guys take the time to give these a listen if you haven't heard them already!

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Not exactly boss music, but - kinda since it is against the toughest opponent you could be facing - and if you haven't heard this, prepare your body for what epic sounds like in the poke-verse. Listen to at least 35 seconds in.

Also, these all which I'll spoiler because it's a few and I wanna link the youtube links for em too :3

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    It always changes for me but I gotta say Queen Sectonia's theme at the moment. That is a damn great song that really catches the atmosphere of the whole battle.

Back