• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Console?

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    Dreamcast > SNES >>>>>>>>>> DS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

Dreamcast was an amazing little system.

shot571 said:
    a ds, wii, ps3 and n64(nothing beats the classics)

None of those are classics... =/

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Well, the N64 is.

Me, I loved my old DS. Till it broke. Now I have a DSi, and while it's a nice system, my flashcard wont work on that, so I wait till someone can crack it via the SD Card slot so I can do what I used to do. Namely, emulate old games, surf the net, and play my legal backups. It already surfs the net, so I'm good there, but who wants to carry around pockets full of DS cards? XD

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Dreamcast > SNES >>>>>>>>>> DS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

Dreamcast was an amazing little system.

None of those are classics... =/

Srsly? I like the Dreamcast too, but not enough good games were released for it before it died. ;D Sad, really.

PSX would probably be my first choice since I'm a RPG fanatic. SNES, and NES aren't too far behind though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Has to be my trusty DS :) You can take it anyway, and it plays so many games :D

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Well, I think it fits in both sections!
    You're wrong. Your thoughts are irrelevant. This goes in other gaming.

And I prefer the ultimate console, the PC. I hate the 360 for an array of reasons (RROD and the "community" to name two), I hate the PS3 because Sony is part of the RIAA (though the system itself is great, especially with the new price tag), and I hate the Wii because it's terrible and the Wiimote is a horrible gimmick (give me a normal controller or a keyboard any day).

The PSP has probably less than ten good games, but it's OK for hacking and homebrew and such. The DS has some great games, and the touch screen is tolerable, provided Nintendo doesn't stick their nose in and try and use it for anything other than clicking menus and a few other basic things.

As for older consoles, you can probably pick any major one out of a hat and I'll like it. I liked the NES, the SNES, the N64, the GameCube, the PS1 and PS2 (though I still hate Sony), the GameBoy, the GameBoy Color, the GameBoy Advance, the Sega Genesis, the Sega Dreamcast, the Sega GameGear, and the original Xbox. With the exception of the Dreamcast, it was the games that made the systems. Each one had great games for it; the system makers didn't need to do anything except make something that worked right (which somehow Nintendo managed to screw up with the Wii). The Dreamcast was great because it was ahead of its time. It's a lot like some of the current generation systems are today. It's a shame there weren't more games made for it.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    I have to disagree with your view on the Wiimote. As a hobbyist game designer my self, I've messed with it, and it works rather well and has many possibilities. If you remember, when the DS first came out, people thought the touchscreen was a gimmick, but it's proved to be an excellent input device. It even plays games rather well, but I do wonder why the FPS games on the DS are few and far between.

Years
    Hmmm thinking of what the best console is is quite hard, PC would most likely be my choice just for the fact that PC's are amazing but consoles like the DS are just plain handy for going anywhere, you could be thinking take a laptop but for some reason I just hate laptops.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Sega Genesis/ DS/ GBC > SNES >>>>>>>Everything else. I've played the Wii, PS3, PS2, PS, N64, and Dreamcast, but they never really caught on with me like the others.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I have to disagree with your view on the Wiimote. As a hobbyist game designer my self, I've messed with it, and it works rather well and has many possibilities. If you remember, when the DS first came out, people thought the touchscreen was a gimmick, but it's proved to be an excellent input device. It even plays games rather well, but I do wonder why the FPS games on the DS are few and far between.
    You're a developer. You are inherently biased with your opinions about software devices. It is not what the developers think that matters regarding the Wiimote, it is what the end users think; what the gamers think. And most gamers (including me) hate it.

And the Wii came out a few years ago. This isn't anything new. Your comparison suggests that the Wiimote is something new; it isn't. I have plenty of Wii games and experience to suggest that it is a failed gimmick. The DS touchscreen was also a gimmick; the difference was that it actually worked in some situations (Mario 64 on DS was an example of how it should not work; Advance Wars: Dual Strike was an example of how it should work).

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    You're only... what... one person? So far, the only people I know of who go out of their way to not show me any evidence to support their claims that the Wiimote sucks are those who hate change. Namely, the Sony and Microsoft fanboys. We've had the basic same controller layout since the SNES for all consoles after it (including the N64, you can see similarities), a little bit of change never hurt anything. In fact without change, you get... the XBox 360. Not saying it's a bad system, but you have to admit, little has changed in the XBox line it self other then faster and newer versions of the same hardware. The PS3... that's just a miss match bunch of overpriced Sony brand hardware crammed into a George Foreman Grill. But I digress, I don't want to hear another post on this argument coming from me or you.

I still like the DS though.

Years
    From personal experience with Wii games, developers aren't utilizing the system's control scheme to its best potential... and that was before Wii Motion Plus came out.

EDIT: Oh, and the 360 has good games but lots of hardware issues. Before anyone strikes out at me about said issues, the clerk at my favorite GameStop said he's had his PS3 for longer than his 360... and he's on his 4th 360 and just the other day had to send in his PS3 to get his second one.

PS3's main problem is that there haven't been too many good exclusive games in the systems first few years because developers were afraid people wouldn't buy the system with its price tag. It has fantastic hardware and capabilities (even with backwards compatibility removed and several USB ports not present anymore, among other things being removed). Plus it, unlike the 360, has free online gaming... and it's online interface is more powerful and a little easier to navigate for games than the Wii's.

Last edited:
    Back