• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Console?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    You're only... what... one person? So far, the only people I know of who go out of their way to not show me any evidence to support their claims that the Wiimote sucks are those who hate change.
    I like things that work and work well. Just because I'm not a Nintendo fanboy and won't rush to defend something that doesn't really work well for most games does not mean I hate change. On the other hand, I will admit that I tend to shy away from something new if it doesn't offer some significant improvement over something old.
    Namely, the Sony and Microsoft fanboys.
    I seriously hope you didn't just try to call me a Sony or Microsoft fanboy when I just said earlier that I hate the Xbox 360 and Sony (sic; I hate Sony, not their products), and that I have liked every Nintendo system I have played besides the Wii.

We've had the basic same controller layout since the SNES for all consoles after it (including the N64, you can see similarities), a little bit of change never hurt anything. In fact without change, you get... the XBox 360. Not saying it's a bad system, but you have to admit, little has changed in the XBox line it self other then faster and newer versions of the same hardware. The PS3... that's just a miss match bunch of overpriced Sony brand hardware crammed into a George Foreman Grill.
    And you call me a fanboy. The only people I hear praising the Wiimote for being "innovative" are fanboys. Innovation isn't a broken controller. Innovation is something that improves on the old, not simply gets rid of it in favor of something else. Nintendo banked on the fact that their insanely defensive fanbase wouldn't mind if they bombed once or twice, and they were right. Fanboys come screaming left and right whenever someone lays down some honesty and says that the Wiimote is a nightmare for anyone except the "casual" crowd. I don't mind if Nintendo wants to encourage trying new things, but forcing gamers to use a broken gadget is not encouraging innovation, it's just forcing gamers to use a broken gadget. About 90% (I'm pulling this number out of my rear here, but it seems accurate) of Wii games would benefit from standard controller input over the Wiimote. The other 10% are games made by Nintendo. My respect for Nintendo would increase tenfold if they offered an alternate, standard type controller for the Wii that some game developers could default to. But no, they have to press their gimmick so that they can tout their "innovation," instead of doing what is best for the gamers. And yes, they don't care about us anymore. We're still "nerds and otaku" to them, despite the apology that woman was forced to make. All any company cares about these days is making money, Nintendo especially. And they're raking it in with their new pet, "casual." How innovative. Exercise. Thanks, but if I wanted to do boring exercises, I'd go to the boring exercise place: the gym. Why do you think they've only released a dozen or so decent games in the past few years? It's because their new cash cow is many times more profitable than we are. It takes a few months and a few dollars to make a highly profitable "Wii Fitness," it takes a few years and a few million dollars to make a highly profitable Zelda game, and it takes a few years and a few million dollars to make a POTENTIALLY profitable non-brand game. Expect to see a trickle of real titles and nothing truly innovative from Nintendo for a few years (when hopefully the "casual" fad passes). Unless you consider more broken input devices to be "innovative."

I could make a similar rant for the 360 or Sony, but you brought up the Wii, so the Wii it was.

But I digress, I don't want to hear another post on this argument coming from me or you.
    If you wanted that, you would have simply said that instead of responding to my post in full. Denied.

Years
    My fave console is the Playstation 2.

For handhelds, the Game Boy Color gave me the most memories.
    Question this all you want, but consider that its what likely most Pokemon fans played Pokemon on back in the day (or a Game Boy Pocket) and yeah. My first Legend of Zelda experience was also for the Game Boy Color (Oracle of Seasons).

Then there is the retro moment of "Card Pop"...

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I owned a few consoles since i was young
    My favourites would have to be:

• SNES
    • Segamega drive
    • N64
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • Wii
    • PS3
    • Gameboy Color:D

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    If you wanted that, you would have simply said that instead of responding to my post in full. Denied.

Upset cause someone doesn't share your opinion? Troll much? Please, just stop, I have. You only look stupid for continuing an argument based on opinion.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    The GCN is my favorite console.

It's probably due to the fact that it's connected to a lot of my memories over my teenage years, which were my favorite years.

But really, it was where a lot of Nintendo's franchises were at the top of their game, IMO. Super Smash Bros. and Animal Crossing for sure. Super Smash Bros. Melee was so great and mind-blowing when I first got it. Brawl never gave me that sensation at all.

And Animal Crossing's sequels... Don't even make me go there. Nintendo failed EPICALLY with Animal Crossing City Folk.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    SNES, N64, Gamecube.

I'm a fan boy. Sue me.

I think it's just because of the memories I've had with my N64 and Gamecube, due to the amount of hours I've plowed into them.

Whilst everyone at school were playing Playstation 1, I was at home injecting some Mario 64 sweetness into my viens.

When they went home and played there shiny PS2s, I went home to play some cell-shaded greatness known as Wind Waker.

My Snes is relatively new compared to some of my other systems, But I've lready had so much fun with Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart, Super Probotector [Contra III], and my others..I can see why so many people say that it's there favourite system.

[jq]Wiimote is a horrible gimmick (give me a normal controller or a keyboard any day)[/jq]

Favourite Console?

It's a little thing called innovation my friend. Sure, I prefer using a joypad, But why keep gaming the way it is when there are so many possibilities? Nintendo have created something that has broadened the gaming market from people "with no life" to everyone.

Anyone can pick up a wiimote and have fun, it's not complicated, there's no massive combinations, just simple fun...And guess what? Nintendo have outsold both it's competitors by millions.

Something that innovative and successful surely can't be classed as a "gimmick".

Also, does anyone actually take in the fact that most good Wii games don't utilise motion controls at all?, that's wide appeal if I've ever seen it.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Upset cause someone doesn't share your opinion? Troll much? Please, just stop, I have. You only look stupid for continuing an argument based on opinion.
    Debate != upset. If you respond, I'll respond back, regardless of any ridiculous addendum you tack on. I made a legitimate argument, and you're responding by saying I'm trolling. Who is the real troll, I wonder?

[jq]Wiimote is a horrible gimmick (give me a normal controller or a keyboard any day)[/jq]

Favourite Console?

It's a little thing called innovation my friend. Sure, I prefer using a joypad, But why keep gaming the way it is when there are so many possibilities? Nintendo have created something that has broadened the gaming market from people "with no life" to everyone.
    If the gimmick worked, I wouldn't be so hard on it. It's bad; it is painful to play the kinds of games that I like with it. I don't fault the developers; the Wiimote works fine for the kind of stuff that I don't care about, but for FPS or RTS or whatnot, it's a horrible controller (surprising; you'd think FPS would be able to utilize it nicely, but it doesn't). There's a reason all the good FPSes are only released on 360 or PS3; it's because it's terrible for controlling those sort of games.

Anyone can pick up a wiimote and have fun, it's not complicated, there's no massive combinations, just simple fun...And guess what? Nintendo have outsold both it's competitors by millions.

Something that innovative and successful surely can't be classed as a "gimmick".
    A gimmick is literally a clever ploy or strategy. Nintendo is using the Wiimote as a selling point to draw in more people. And it worked. That doesn't mean it's a good input device, it means Nintendo knows how to market. Sure, you can pick up a Wiimote and Wii Sports and have a good time for fifteen minutes or so. And then what? I'm not a casual gamer; I want games that draw me in, that have staying power and epic stories and engrossing gameplay. The kind of games that are released for other systems. Sure, Nintendo itself releases a few good hits now and then, but besides that, the Wii has the same problem the GCN had: very few good third party games. In fact, I'd argue it has fewer good third party (or first party) games. At least the GCN didn't have the casual market to repel developers from investing money into something worth playing.

Also, does anyone actually take in the fact that most good Wii games don't utilise motion controls at all?, that's wide appeal if I've ever seen it.
    Which indicates that a better input device would be something without motion controls. Something along the lines of a GCN controller.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Okay, twocows and BenRK, give it a rest. I know you're trying to voice your opinion, twocows, but enough is enough, so just let it go please.

BenRK, quit baiting him by calling him a troll and quit replying altogether. That's your warning for both of you.

You people really need to work on your social skills if every thread about consoles erupts into this. It's getting old.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Dreamcast, Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and Mega Drive.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    PS3. By a long shot. For a "mismatch of expensive sony parts in a foreman grill" it works really well, the tilt sensor doesn't interfere with gameplay (just adds nice little bells and whistles really)
    The online works really well, it's free, the console itself is sturdy, it has (in my opinion) 3 of the best exclusives this gen, the PSN store is nice and the added media functions are a treat.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 5, 2024
    Me = Quite retro player, so my choice is:

Nintendo 64!
    Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis if you prefer)
    Game Boy Color

And also, maybe not as retro:

Nintendo Wii

I do not care much about the consoles, but the nostalgia and/or the games. to be honest, I like the retro ones most.

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
    Favourite from the old skool days would have to be Sega Master System and Mega Drive

As for today, PS3 and Xbox 360

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I am married to Nintendo, and have been for almost 15 years now. It's a wonderful relationship, though it's gotten sour of late due to the lack of support from my beloved, so I feel as though I might decide to cheat with Microsoft. I mean, Microsoft's so good, it's hard to resist!

Spoiler:

Back