• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FINISHED] Alola Migration

Years
  • Alola Migration

In the Sinnoh region, there are two pokemon, who are mostly alike, but look a little different. Growing up on opposite sides of the region have made them appear different to each other...​

What are you doing?

Your job for this contest is to imagine if previous generations of pokemon lived in Alola for hundreds of years and started to have alternate coats based on the region, and to create art for them!

Rules

1. Only pixel art and digital/traditional art allowed.
    2. Pick a pokemon from the list to enter with!
    3. All submissions will be entered before July 19th.
    4. Do not steal or use fan-made designs by artists.
    5. Post in this thread when you are finished.

Choose these Pokemon!

Sneasel | Furret | Gardevoir

Ninetails | Octillery | Dedenne

Last edited:

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I am iiiiinnn. I already have an idea. :3

Edit:

Welp, it's been a whole 12 minutes since I posted this and now it's time to submit! Recolours don't take too long.

-snip this image doesn't exist I need to change that horrendous eye colour-

Phew. I fixed some really ugly colours. :3 So it's based on a hula girl, I'm assuming you could tell (if you can't, then I've failed). Bright colours immediately struck me as what I'd need for an Alola variant. The yellow spike thing is a sort of stand in for the flower necklace thing the hula girls wear. The green is obviously representing the leaves, and the red/pink just adds some colour. It was a common colour I saw them wearing in Google Images searches, so I thought I'd throw it in. I also kept some classic Gardevoir colours for the face and upper body to hopefully add to the effect.

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Alright I want to submit some sprite art for this event! I seriously think this is such a cool concept for an art event so I just had to participate. Also I loved the idea so much that I went ahead and did two pokemon instead of just one, but if there is some rule that restricts which pokemon I have to choose between, I definitely pick my "Alolan Sneasel" as my main submission. :D

"Alolan Sneasel"
    Due to the warmer climate throughout the Alola region and the only frigid climate within the region is on the peak of a mountain, the Sneasel species within Alola have had to adapt to the constant sunlight on top of the mountain as well as a lack of protective shelter such as caverns where most Sneasel are adapted to the dark.
    The Sneasel of Alola have given up their solitary stealth hunting qualities due to their originally black coats being easily perceived among their bleach white snow environment. Along with the constant ultraviolet exposure from the sun; the coat of the Sneasel has adapted to it's natural color tone which is in fact pink. The black color coat has reverted to being an unimportant quality within the sneasels' coat since it makes the pokemon much more identifiable.
    The pink coloring of the Sneasel's coat has in fact improved it's ability to hide in the snow due to the harsh qualities of unfiltered ultraviolet sunlight on the peak of the mountain. Thus these pokemon have become able to cover themselves in snow and are now ambush predators.
    Due to the constant harsh light in this snowy environment, the Alolan Sneasels have also adapted to having a blue eye coloring. The original red eye coloring of the Sneasel species more adapted to the low light environments such as caves. However in the Alolan environment where even the open air night sky is constantly lit by moonlight, the Alolan Sneasel have adapted to the blue eye coloring which is more capable of filtering the bright light that a sneasel must endure on a regular basis.

"Alolan Furret"
    The Furret species native to Alola have adapted to the incredibly large amount of water and lack of land environments throughout the region as a whole. Due to the Furret species having an incredible natural adaptation to swimming in water regularly, this adaptive transition has changed not only their survival habits but has also completely changed their coats appearance.
    The first notable appearance would be the spots. As the Furret became more frequently submerged in water and had also began creating underwater shelters, their natural coat began to adapt to the constant submergence in water, the darker fur of their coat which was originally used for protection against cooler weather within forest and field environments, soon served less purpose underwater and was in fact heavy and uncomfortable. Over time the darker fur had completely receded within this aquatically adapted furret, and has instead been replaced with a much shorter and softer coat that is slick and oily when completely submerged in water.
    The spots, head, and neck covering are all that is left of the now recessive color and fur pattern within these Furret.
    With these newly acquired spots the furret have also become fantastic fishing pokemon. While swimming underwater the furret have learned to swim in a serpentine fashion, which waves their spotted coat in a dazzling fashion which is known to attract various fish pokemon. Once a Furret has dazzled a fish pokemon into following it, the furret will begin to slow down and then will often do a high speed bite attack in order to quickly grab whatever prey the furret has managed to attract.
    The Furrets brown coat has also taken a much lighter hue that has transitioned it to a more dark orange color which is due to the constant sunlight combined with the magnification of the ultraviolet rays under water.
    The Alolan Furret's are actually considered to be "Ocean Pests" due to the fact that they are well known to swarm fishing boats and steal most of the fish cargo from a boat.

Last edited:

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • This is my first sprite ever made, using an old school Windows app; Photofilter Studio X.

"Alolanian Ninetails"

Location: In a certain mysterious jungle in north-west of Alola region.
    Origins and type: A pokemon from Ninetails and Vulpix family distinguished with their Bug/Grass type, adapted to the wet environment and feeding on specific plants and bugs.
    Info:
    It is said that the leaves in his back can grow after it cut, and also could be used a medicine that cure many illness.
    Nature:
    Calm and friendly, go into hibernation in summers

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Now I feel bad for just doing a recolour, haha. I could have done something like the people above, but nooo, I had to be lazy, didn't I? Might do something else.

EDIT: So I did something else. Here's my new Alola-adapted Pokemon. I like this one much better.

---

Sneasel (Alolan)

Sharp Claw Pokemon
    Dark/Grass

SUN: It hides in trees, camouflaged by its own leaves. It strikes when its prey does not suspect it.
    MOON: Some biologists speculate that this may have been the original Sneasel.

This variety of Sneasel is very unique and is only found in the Alola region. It uses its green leaves and fruit to hide in trees and ambush its prey. This is very different to the Johto Sneasel, which launches its ambushes from dark caves.

For a long time, biologists have been stumped by Sneasel's leaf-like protrustions, which appear to serve no purpose. Now that the Alolan Sneasel has been discovered, it is speculated that the Johto Sneasel's purple 'leaves' may actually be vestigial. The discovery of the Alolan Sneasel has thus taught biologists a lot about the adaptations of Pokemon in different environments, and how the process is not always perfect. It is thought that when Sneasel were introduced to Mount Silver, they underwent huge change over time, while normal Sneasel further adapted to the same environment, seeing no drastic change. With this in mind, the common ancestor to all varieties of Sneasel is currently accepted to have lived in Alola. It is believed that when the two split, the Johto Sneasel's leaves became a dull purple colour and stopped functioning due to the insufficient conditions, and its fur became darker to store heat. Meanwhile, the Alolan Sneasel gained more leaves and berries to become even better at performing its natural role. The common ancestor would have looked a lot like a normal Sneasel, but with the colours of an Alolan Sneasel.

---

So I think I've actually come up with a pretty cool concept for this Sneasel. I wanted to do something different with it to what Mister Coffee did, so I made a Sneasel which is adapted to the warm climate of Alola, rather than coping with the limited cold areas. I whipped out my knowledge of evolution on this one rather than just going for a Hawaiian theme, and I think my little Sneasel history makes sense and sort of explains Sneasel's leaf things. I mean, they look more like leaves in some art than others, but whatever. I'm saying they're leaves.

Last edited:

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • ... I could have done something like the people above, but nooo, I had to be lazy...

No no no, I believe you're wrong definitely, infact I was suffering to make up all of that nosense!!!! LOL... and you just wrote a new edit, MAN YOU AIN'T LAZY!!

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • No no no, I believe you're wrong definitely, infact I was suffering to make up all of that nosense!!!! LOL... and you just wrote a new edit, MAN YOU AIN'T LAZY!!
    I was being lazy when I made my Gardevoir, I wasn't being lazy when I made my Sneasel. I'm not always lazy. :3

Reactions: Del
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Not sure if it's just me but I can't see the list of Pokémon, only the first three are showing up for me - does anyone have the full list they can paste for me? At any rate I'll be taking part, I've grown to really love spriting and recolours are fun!

EDIT: Found the list by quoting the post and looking at the text so I'll get started now!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    first draft for an Alolian Octillery... not too happy with it yet, will try and brighten it up a bit!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Now presenting... Alolian Ninetails! Staying true to his prevolution Vulpix's base coat with an added sandy beach-feel gloss, this Ninetails has grown to take on the Hawaiian island feel and is now revered as something of a deity to the natives. Each tail colour is one of Hawaii's national colours with over 10 Pokémon having gone into making this foxy fox.

The Male version of the species has no stream of hair protruding from its head whilst the Female version boasts a beautiful quiff of brightly coloured hair flowing through the wind as it walks. As each of Hawaii's national colours are representative of individual an Hawaiian state, the area within the region that each Ninetails has grown up in will determine which colour of hair she grows, creating a divide within the Ninetails community as each variant believes that their own looks are the 'normal' and the differently coloured outsiders are 'strange' to them.

Disclaimer: If only one variant is allowed then please only consider the red-haired version as this is the version representing the 'main' state, Hawai'i.

Also here's the WIP sheet for anyone who is interested in which Pokémon were used where:

Spoiler:

Probably shouldn't have spent 3 hours on this... :D

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Well this one looks meek & weak in comparison to the Ninetales above :nervous:, but anyways, here goes.

Presenting the Rainbow Ninetales

SUN: A rare variety of Ninetales, which is native only to a certain few areas of the Alola region.
    MOON: In bright sunlight, its tails create the illusion of the colours of the rainbow.

This variety of Ninetales is native only to the Alolan region. Its also called the Rainbow Ninetales, because its tails work as a prism, which breaks light up into its constituent spectral colors & creates the illusion of a rainbow (the first & last being ultraviolet & infrared respectively in case of this Ninetales).

Its main diet constitutes of the rare rosapple (rose + apple, something I made up :P) berries, thus the colouration of its skin.

Being a very shy Pokemon, its sightings are very rare.

Okay not very original maybe, but just wanted to get an entry in :).

will try & improve on this if I can

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • Well this one looks meek & weak in comparison to the Ninetales above :nervous:, but anyways, here goes.

Presenting the Rainbow Ninetales

SUN: A rare variety of Ninetales, which is native only to a certain few areas of the Alola region.
    MOON: In bright sunlight, its tails create the illusion of the colours of the rainbow.

This variety of Ninetales is native only to the Alolan region. Its also called the Rainbow Ninetales, because its tails work as a prism, which breaks light up into its constituent spectral colors & creates the illusion of a rainbow (the first & last being ultraviolet & infrared respectively in case of this Ninetales).

Its main diet constitutes of the rare rosapple (rose + apple, something I made up :P) berries, thus the colouration of its skin.

Being a very shy Pokemon, its sightings are very rare.

Okay not very original maybe, but just wanted to get an entry in :).

will try & improve on this if I can

While it's true I didn't cover like "using the same idea" in the rules, I think it's a little rude to just directly take what the last person just did. Could you please try and do an entry that's a little more original?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • While it's true I didn't cover like "using the same idea" in the rules, I think it's a little rude to just directly take what the last person just did. Could you please try and do an entry that's a little more original?
    Oh well, this was bound to happen, that's why my user title "#Controversy Magnet" :P

I'm so sorry, but it wasn't deliberate. I promise I had the idea before Squirrel did, just didn't put it up on time. But ya u're right it does seem to be too similar, so ya u can cancel my entry, no probs :).

I'll try to come up with something more original if I can, not sure though coz I have my own Event going on at Trivia, but I'll surely try. I hope there's still time though :).

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Oh plz plz plz, hope I'm on time, hope its accepted (fingers crossed) :nervous:

Many many years ago, there was a mass migration of Dedennes from Kalos to the Alola Region which is also referred to as M.A.D. (Migration to Alola of Dedennes).

These Dedennes spread themselves throughout various regions around Alola & adapted themselves according to the prevalent climatic conditions.

Coastal Dedenne

Found mostly along beaches & sea coasts, this variety of Dedenne learnt to adapt themselves to live both on land & in water. Using their tail as propellers, they are very adept swimmers.

Evergreen Forest Dedenne

This variety of Dedenne is resident to the deep, lush green forest regions of Alola. They are adept at climbing trees & build their homes upon treetops.

Arid Desert Dedenne

The dry desert areas are home to this variety of Dedenne.

I'm not sure if multiple entries are allowed. If so, choose any one :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • *scatters the heck over*
    Gardevoir (Alola variation)
    I also had the concept of a hula dancer, but kept to similar colors as the original palette (maybe tried to get warmer colors aha). I'd imagine different dance style would change the body type (more muscles and more feet to stand on than what its originally designed to have) and length of the flowly end of their dress. I'd imagine for behavior pretty lax and strong when they need to be!​

Years
  • The Winner:

Anastasia.R

Apart from a beautiful piece of art, the Gardevior is less a simple recolor and is very much a new design. Being able to adapt it's features sightly in each, but still being recognizable as a Gardevior is what pins it for me.

Runner Up:

Squirrel

The work that went into this concept and the excellent recolor is what makes this the runner-up in this contest. Adding a difference between the male and female counterparts stemming from it's now peacock like tails is a very thoughtful touch as well!

Congratulations! Thanks for everyone for participating!
    For those of you interested, this might be a nice game thread in A&D in the future. : )

Back