• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Foul language and censorship

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Do you believe it's necessary to censor foul language, specifically on the internet? Why or why not?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Depends on where, really. Somewhere that younger people might be around, for example PC? Probably. There's always the small chance of someone getting offended and it all blowing up, and there's rarely reason to use foul language anyway. However, when this isn't the case, I think people are mature enough to handle it. For the most part it's more an issue of "why use it anyway?" than "you'll get in trouble for using it so make sure it's censored".

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Depends how it will be used. During a silly, uncalled-for, off-topic argument/fight, no. In a civil discussion where a point, is to be made, maybe; of course, amongst people who are 'mature' enough to stomach offensive remarks and foul diatribes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Kids that can't deal with swears shouldn't really be using the internet, but it doesn't bother me. Asterisk or letters, it still carries the same meaning.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    No, I don't find it necessary, but it definitely helps since not everyone shares my beliefs, so generally I'm up for it.

Razor Leaf made a good example of foul language's usage; now adding to that, if we include the fact that some people get pissed more easily than others, censoring foul language is better than no censoring at all. I mean, I don't personally see why someone would be against censorship, especially if it's public places of the internet we're talking about. What's so cool about swearing when you're not just having a casual conversation with someone who knows that you're not actually insulting? In other cases, it can easily turn to flaming.

Years
  • And there's the thing. The meaning behind it. As far as I'm concerned foul language without malicious intent is practically harmless. They are just words at the end of the day. I can inflict mental pain with a flurry of harmful words without having to resort to foul language. Rather than censoring the words, it's the attitudes of the people which should be modulated. I suppose kids can pick up foul words and use them inappropriately which can be problematic though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm incredibly against censoring in any context. The PC censors are the bane of my existence, and I've had to alter far too many an awesome sentence because there was a word in there that the censor deemed too questionable to allow me to post. 95% of these weren't even swearing.

I've said this before, but I've always been of the opinion that we coddle kids too much. Kids use this forum, yes, but as Vendak said, if they can't handle swearing then they really have no business using the internet. I knew most of the words that are censored here by the time I was seven years old, if people want to use them then they should be allowed to use them. They are just words. If people are using them with the intent to flame then they can be dealt with accordingly, just as they are dealt with when they flame without swearing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yes, I find it necessary. You know. For the children. Some aren't mature enough to handle swearing, and honestly, I don't know about y'all, but when I see young people swearing, especially on f-bomb caliber, it just looks stupid. When my 14 year old sister swears, she sounds like a dumbass honestly. I probably look like a dumbass for saying dumbass. But I digress. Usually seeing people swear, especially people they look up to, would make them think it's cool and awesome to do it. Sure, I swear like a sailor, but I just find it really immature when younger kids swear. You'll find contradiction all in this post, I'm sure. lol

However, I think the only words that should be censored are f, n, and c. Everything else shouldn't really be a problem, unless being used to harm someone. I also wanna know why **** is censored. It's another word for chicken. It's my school's mascot. Sure, it's a word for dick, but dick isn't censored. So why is ****?

This post is terrible, I apologize.

Anyu

A Fragile Pokéball
    Years
  • ^
    I kind agree.
    What about different language swear words?
    Would that be acceptable? I'm not saying I am going to do it... But it shouldn't be used since it's the same thing.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Words only carry as much power as we give them. Part of why swear words are so frowned upon is because we make them out to be bad things. They are indeed called "bad words" when we're young. Whether or not you censor them on the Internet makes no difference because people still get the point. They understand what you're saying and most can decipher exactly which word was used thanks to sentence and number of letters.

So no, I think it's completely unnecessary. But it also doesn't really change a thing if they are censored. So it's up to personal choice I suppose. I just think if we keep treating them like normal words for long enough, they'll be seen as less offensive.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't really mind censorship. Whenever I swear, I use asterisks to cove whatever swear word I'm about to say.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Censorship on the Internet is utterly pointless. There is always a reason to use profanity. Always.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • I mean it would be nice to censor bad words, but unfortunately it's kind of inevitable seeing such language on the Internet. :/

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • It all depends on the website, to be quite honest. But yeah I wish they didn't censor foul words...

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • it depends. i think that, for sites that are open to the general public (and thus can be accessed by children), profanity should be censored. personally, i don't have any problems with foul language. there are some jokes that actually seem funnier with profanity. but for simple to intelligent discussions, i would rather read a post that doesn't contain them. as a friend of mine once said, if you can say something in a "clean" manner, without it losing it's meaning, then you should.

Years
  • I think censors for some words are fine in a hi-I'm-your-censor-here-reminding-you-to-be-civil sort of way. You know, so if you find yourself getting censored all the time you might want to tone it down a little.

There's a difference in severity to swearing, I think. The swears for body functions/body parts/things-you-do-with-your-body aren't nearly as bad as the ones which are insulting to certain groups of people. Like it's not really insulting to anyone in particular if I say "I had a ______ day." It's just, you know, how some people talk. Totally different than using an insulting synonym for gay people and so on.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I'm all for freedom of speech, but censorship has its purpose

Words are just letters put together. Humans gave the letters meaning and then you get some words that arn't as appropriate towards people.

I say there isn't anything wrong with hearing bad words, no matter how old you are. How many kids in this world hear swear words every day? Probably a lot, and there is no stopping people outside their house to say bad words.

I'm not saying five year olds belong on 4chan, but I don't think its so wrong for kids to hear an occasional swear every now and then.

EDIT - An example would be the Minecraft Official Fourms. Its regulated, but they don't care if you say them (as long as they arn't used as an insultive manner)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Censorship on the Internet is utterly pointless. There is always a reason to use profanity. Always.

False. Always is a bold claim to make that can be disproved with a single example.

Example: Two 10 year olds having a discussion on their favorite character in a show.

I think censors for some words are fine in a hi-I'm-your-censor-here-reminding-you-to-be-civil sort of way. You know, so if you find yourself getting censored all the time you might want to tone it down a little.

There's a difference in severity to swearing, I think. The swears for body functions/body parts/things-you-do-with-your-body aren't nearly as bad as the ones which are insulting to certain groups of people. Like it's not really insulting to anyone in particular if I say "I had a ______ day." It's just, you know, how some people talk. Totally different than using an insulting synonym for gay people and so on.

I definitely agree with this, but I still feel slightly uncomfortable when people say it irl. I can say what's in your example online with no problem but would feel strange if I said it out loud irl.

I still feel like there's barely anything that you can't say without swearing, so it shouldn't be necessary. I always go out of my way not to swear just because I don't like the impression it gives off; it makes me look crass and unable to find more classy words to express myself imo and I would feel better using a slightly dorkier word instead of a swear word. :x

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

• I absolutely hate the excuse that children need inherent protection from swearing, of all things. Violence and sex I can understand, even though I don't entirely agree with the underlying reason, but words are only has powerful as the meaning behind them, and that includes swearing. As has been mentioned by other users, when words - swears or no - are used in an aggressive manner on a place like PC, especially to threaten or intimidate, that shouldn't be tolerated... but swear words in and of themselves aren't the problem. It's their usage that should be curbed; not the words themselves.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I've said this before, but I've always been of the opinion that we coddle kids too much. Kids use this forum, yes, but as Vendak said, if they can't handle swearing then they really have no business using the internet.
    I don't think it's outlandish for a child to be on a Pokemon site of all places and expect not having to deal with profanity.

Sure, there's swearing on the internet. But... it makes sense in context and topic.

Back