• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gender

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Like in most other games, we get to choose which gender we are at the start of Pokémon X and Y, with selections being male and female.

So, which character did we wind up choosing, and why? Did we like or choice? If no, why not? What did we wind up nicknaming them, and why did we pick it? Is the name based off anything in particular?

As for myself, I've chosen both male and female. In first run, it was former, and in second, it's latter. I've named my guy character Christian, which is based off one of my friends. As for girl, I've decided to call her Ashley.

Years
    In X, I've always chosen the female just because I can and was bored. But, in Y, I chose my gender, the male, 'cause I always play as the male the first time I play a game.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    I chose a male character named Qlu when I first played. I didn't mind it. Finished the game. But- this is ridonks to even confess- but I restarted the game as a female some time later because I wanted more clothing options for my avatar. Or at least, prettier looking ones. My female trainer was named Fred and I had her up until I got OR.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    I of course chose to play as the male. One of the reasons being that I am a male. I ended up naming him Mandolore since it has become my usual name to use in Pokemon games. Course that was the first time I did so in a main Pokemon game since usually I shorten it to Mando since not enough space.

Ash Ketchum 11

Like in most other games, we get to choose which gender we are at the start of Pokémon X and Y, with selections being male and female.

So, which character did we wind up choosing, and why? Did we like or choice? If no, why not? What did we wind up nicknaming them, and why did we pick it? Is the name based off anything in particular?

As for myself, I've chosen both male and female. In first run, it was former, and in second, it's latter. I've named my guy character Christian, which is based off one of my friends. As for girl, I've decided to call her Ashley.

That's a given. They made a male and female character because the game is made for all people. I choose my gender always. The only game I choose a female was Resident evil: 1 for GameCube because I was the hardest game I played. And scariest! The female version was easier.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I've never chosen the female in Pokemon... I've always chosen the male because it is supposed to be me, really.

Years
    I played as the female, because I am female myself. Another fun thing with being female is that you get the better end of the customization scale.

Years
    I wanted my character to be me, which was male, and I gave him my real name. It sort of makes sense, and I think that's what the games are designed for.

Years
    In my main game with X, I played as the guy and named myself Scott, which is my real name. But aside from that, i've only ever chosen the guy once, and it was in my Ground Monotype for my Ultimate that I did at the tail-end of 2013 and entering into 2014. I think I named him Kent? Don't really remember why.

Aside from those two i've played as the girl every other time, usually giving her various names to fit said playthroughs: Isabel (normal playthrough), Ivy (Poison Monotype), Reena (Red Mono-Color), Luna (Dark Monotype), Crystaline (Wedlocke where I named my Pokémon after alloys and gems, and I only realized after starting that I misspelled that word but continued playing anyway), Skye (Blue Mono-Color), and Fate (Haunter + Carnival of Horrors), to name some.

Nakala Pri

The first time I played as pale Serena 'cause I preferred her hair. But then I restarted my file pretty soon after I found out that she was pasty, you could change your hair colour and my team was so horrible. xD Named her.. eh... um... hmm... something or other. I think it was something like Rachel.

Sooooooooo, then I had another file. The lovely black lady, named her Olivia. =D She was the best.

Recently I just chose a black male 'cause BLECH I choose girls way too much. xD

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I picked the male in X, because usually I've been playing as the one who represents my gender, and named him after my current username, Starry Windy. I might consider to play as opposite gender for a change if I get Y though, 'cos of many more clothes customizations and all.

ΩRαS

Creepin' up in Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2015
    In my main game (ΩR) I'm always the male character with the name Mike since it's my actual name.

Since I got ΩR I didn't want to have both versions with the name Mike so on my Y version when I restarted I chose the female character with her name being Serena.

Years
    Male at first, then female. I'm already male in real life, so I can just be a totally different person in video games. I didn't have as much fun in customizing the male character as I did in the female one.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I picked the guy, mostly because I'm a guy. I'm not very far in XY and I don't think I've bought any customisation items yet but atm I'm blonde because why not. I named my character Caulfield; I couldn't think of a name and had just recently re-read 'The Catcher in the Rye' so named myself after its main character, Holden Caulfield.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I picked the guy, mostly because I'm a guy. I'm not very far in XY and I don't think I've bought any customisation items yet but atm I'm blonde because why not. I named my character Caulfield; I couldn't think of a name and had just recently re-read 'The Catcher in the Rye' so named myself after its main character, Holden Caulfield.

Nice idea, i read that too :)

Back