• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat v2.0

Years
  • I have a partition for my windows OS, a partition for my Linux OS and a spare partition for random large files that I download and if I want to try out another OS, like windows 8 or something.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I partition my hard drives all the time. xD I always have a Windows and a linux. Though my Linux partition is smaller than my Windows because I hardly store things in there. I can just throw it in my windows side. lmao.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • On Windows boxes, I usually set aside a separate partition to put all my user libraries on so that data is isolated from the OS partition in case I ever need to reinstall.

On Linux boxes, I set up a swap partition and a /home partition for all my data.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I find myself a bit befuddled by my folder organization on my documents folder. :P It sometimes is like a... well, a jungle of files, all useful to some degree... Anyone have their stories on their folder organization on their computers?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • omg I forgot this thread existed. xD

psh, I don't want to talk about my organization skills on my computer. It's DISASTEROUS. Even my desktop is really messy. I have the day off today, and staying home for the most part, so imma deal with that today.

I organize everything in multiple folders, and I always rename the files I download so that way it'll be much easier to find when searching.

Years
  • I keep all my files and folders neatly organized, so I don't have much problems with that and my Desktop is normally spotless; my home machine that is.​

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I would consider m setup to be fairly complex, but it works well for me.
    My drives (in order of importance) SSD, WDblack1, WDblack2, WDgreen1, Hitachi, Seagate, WDgreen2.

SSD: Mac OS and apps
    WDblack1: 3 partitions
    P1: home folders
    P2: bootcamp
    P3: large files and download area​
    WDBlack2: Manual backup location, initial location for disc rips.
    WDGreen1: Movie/tv show storage
    Fujitsu: Time machine (only backs up home folder-music)
    Seagate: currently only for temporary storage (has been making weird noises, so I replaced it last week with WDBlack1)
    WDGreen2: Movie TV show backup. (contains rips in original quality)

On my laptop, It's a little simpler.
    SSD: OS and Apps
    WDBlue: 2 Partitions
    P1:Home folders and regular storage
    P2: Program Installers, system recovery apps.​

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Taking only the Documents library:
    9,410 files, 1,137 folders, 24.0 GB (25,862,713,198 bytes)

I think I'm storing a bit too much stuff.

Years
  • My computer folders are the only thing in my life that are constantly tidy xD I can't stand having random folders and files all over my desktop or my downloads folder and such.
    It even ticks me off seeing other people with every single desktop shortcut known to man on their desktop :<

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years

• It even ticks me off seeing other people with every single desktop shortcut known to man on their desktop :<

uhh ehehehe. brb fixing that. xD /mass deletes every desktop

I always thought I've had a ton of crap in my folder. My windows partition still has a wee 70 GB of hard drive space left. idk what to install/add to my comp :|

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    A funny thing about computers is that my new laptop is probably more efficient and have more consistent performance compared to my three-year-old desktop. Computer hardware advances so fast. ;)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • *bump*?

Earlier this week I replaced my Zorin OS to the new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The interface is soooo much improved and so much better than 11.10, which I had many problems with. It starts up quicker, and loading up programs are a breeze. :3

Anyone else trying it out? What do you think?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *bump*?

Earlier this week I replaced my Zorin OS to the new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The interface is soooo much improved and so much better than 11.10, which I had many problems with. It starts up quicker, and loading up programs are a breeze. :3

Anyone else trying it out? What do you think?

I most certainly am sticking with Windows 7 :P But what's Zorin OS?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I most certainly am sticking with Windows 7 :P But what's Zorin OS?
    I believe Zorin is a windows based system software that allows Linux to be easily run through it. I'm not too sure on the specifics though - I believe it works with partitions and not as a virtual machine, although I may be incorrect. Although if it is the latter, I wonder if it has native support for programs that utilise multiple cores.

I haven't used Ubuntu for a while now. The last flavour that I used was version 10 (point something) and I vaguely remember it as being useful for programming but not much else. Has there been any large overhauls with Ubuntu since then?

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I most certainly am sticking with Windows 7 :P But what's Zorin OS?
    Zorin OS is basically another one of those Linuxes that look exactly like Windows 7. I'm sticking with Windows for now, but it does seem like something I'd be comfortable using.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • On a separate note, did anyone know that when using Google, you can search a single website using it?

Steps:
    1) Go to https://www.google.com/
    2) Type in "site:www.examplesite.com"
    3) No quotations! Before hitting enter, press space, then type what you want to search for.

Example in attachment.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2019
    Okay, so i know it isn't on anybodies mind, but i really need to know, has ANYBODY heard about jailbrealing an itouch? all i need to know is: does it send me emails about how my itouch is doing with jailbreak? because i do NOT want emails from it.

Okay, so i know it isn't on anybodies mind, but i really need to know, has ANYBODY heard about jailbrealing an itouch? all i need to know is: does it send me emails about how my itouch is doing with jailbreak? because i do NOT want emails from it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • When jailbreaking you don't give it your email address so it physically won't be able to send you emails about it.
    If you do get any emails about it then it's either spam or you signed up to some sort of newsletter.

Back