• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado290

Lazy Grump
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2015
    Really a noobish question here but I might as well ask:

What is "soft resetting"? I hear people use it a lot for getting shiny legendaries or something.

Also I remember there being an item that recharges you after using a Hyper Beam. Or am I being delusional? If not what item was it?

Thanks!

Years
    Really a noobish question here but I might as well ask:

What is "soft resetting"? I hear people use it a lot for getting shiny legendaries or something.

Also I remember there being an item that recharges you after using a Hyper Beam. Or am I being delusional? If not what item was it?

Thanks!

Read this article about soft resetting and the button combinations used depending on the game in question. It's often a tactic used by many players to try and get good natures and/or IVs on certain encounters (such as legendaries) or even resetting for shinies.

As for a so-called item about "recharging" after you use Hyper Beam, there is no such item as far as I'm aware.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    hey ive been trying to dex chain shinies but its acting up instead of 4 lvl 36 then a 46 itsraising different and it varies.for example i started a new chain and this was my first 10 36,38,47,38,46,39,38,37,37,49

Years
    Can someone give me a dumbed-down explanation of how EVs work?

I'm not seeing the difference from Super Training.
    Well EV is short for "Effort Values". Basically when you defeat a Pokemon you gain 1, 2, or 3 EV points in a stat (the number of EV points and which stat it goes to depends on the Pokemon). For example: Geodude gives you 1 EV point in Defense while Articuno gives you 3 in Sp. Defense. If you want to know the EV drops of a certain Pokemon go to the link at the bottom of this post. Now there is a limit to how many EVs a single Pokemon can have in all. Every Pokemon maxes out at 510 EVs and that's calculated from every stat. In addition to this, a stat may only have a total of 252 EV points (Gen VI).

So right now you may be thinking "so what do you do with these points?" Well when you get four EV points to a single stat then you get one point towards that stat AFTER you level up. Yeah I know that's probably very confusing so I'll try to explain the best I can. So let's say you have a Bulbasaur that has these stats (made up obviously):

HP: 1
    Attack: 1
    Defense: 1
    Sp. Attack: 1
    Sp Defense: 1
    Speed: 1
    And then you fight 4 Pidgey (Pidgey gives you one EV point towards Speed every time you defeat it). This means you now have 4 EV points in your Speed stat, BUT don't be confused Bulbasaur's stats don't look like this now:

Speed: 5
    Instead it'll look like this now:

Speed: 2
    Anyways you also mentioned Super Training. Basically it's a faster way to EV train so you don't have to fight Pokemon.

There's also items like Carbos or Iron to raise EV points, but this should be enough for you to try and process for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I know that it's a little tough to get your head around.

Pokemon EV List:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    i know thats what i was used to but dex chaining pinsir this happened and venomoth as well i thought it always went 36,36,36,36,46,37 and so on . so maybe it doesnt have to stay consistent and have to go up by only one after each chain of 5

im not sure if it was luck but on a 23 chain and 198 search lvl i got a shiny venomoth with dex nav even with the chaining varying in lvls

Last edited:

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
    So I finally got Pokémon Pearl and Pokémon White 2. Is it possible to trade between my versions + Omega Ruby and Y? Obviously I can't put Pokémon into games where they didn't exist yet or if they have moves and items not in that game, but for example gen 4 Pokémon be transferred to gen 5, and gen 4 and 5 to gen 6?

Years
    So I finally got Pokémon Pearl and Pokémon White 2. Is it possible to trade between my versions + Omega Ruby and Y? Obviously I can't put Pokémon into games where they didn't exist yet or if they have moves and items not in that game, but for example gen 4 Pokémon be transferred to gen 5, and gen 4 and 5 to gen 6?

Yes you can transfer forward to the next generation. Transfer from 5th to 6th Gen is done via a downloadable subscription service called Pokemon Bank, on a feature called the Poke Transporter. You can read more about it here.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
    Okay, I got a stupid question. Can I pay for Bank using eShop credits or do I need a credit card? Because I do not have a credit card.

I know this question is dumb, but I'm still new.

Years
    Hiya folks. Been a while since I last posted here. I had a question about the OR/AS remakes. If you recall in the HG/SS remakes the player was able to travel back to the Kanto region once the Johto region was completed.

I was wondering if the same was true for the OR/AS games. Is a player able to go back and visit the Johto and Kanto regions once the Hoenn region is completed?

If not, how would one get the six starters for from the Johto/Kanto regions in OR/AS. I haven't delved into the OR/AS yet, but I am impressed with what I have seen so far and this was something I was curious about.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Hiya folks. Been a while since I last posted here. I had a question about the OR/AS remakes. If you recall in the HG/SS remakes the player was able to travel back to the Kanto region once the Johto region was completed.

I was wondering if the same was true for the OR/AS games. Is a player able to go back and visit the Johto and Kanto regions once the Hoenn region is completed?

If not, how would one get the six starters for from the Johto/Kanto regions in OR/AS. I haven't delved into the OR/AS yet, but I am impressed with what I have seen so far and this was something I was curious about.

HG/SS had both Johto and Kanto due to that being a feature of the original G/S/C line. ORAS follows the original Hoenn games, so it is the only region that appears, however there is a new battle island, and a few other locations, due to Soar and new feartures of the game.

As for obtaining the starters, you can ask for trades on the quick trade thread on this site.
    Or you can obtain a starter pokemon from Gen 3 by starting the game, you can get a 2nd generation started, by beating the elite 4 once, and trying to leave the home town again (same as starting the game for the first time for 3rd gen starter), you can obtain a 5th gen starter from this same method post the Delta Episode, and then a 4th Gen starter with the same method post beating the Elite 4 for the 2nd or 3rd? (i forget) time.

As for Gen 1 and Gen 6 starters, youll need a copy of X and/or Y

Hope that helps

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    how would one get the six starters for from the Johto/Kanto regions in OR/AS. I haven't delved into the OR/AS yet, but I am impressed with what I have seen so far and this was something I was curious about.

You'll need to ask someone to trade you those 'mons. There are methods for this, like through the GTS, put "LF Johto Starters" or something similar in your profile's message and wait for online passersby to trade you, or create a thread in the Quick Trades section and ask for some.

Okay, I got a stupid question. Can I pay for Bank using eShop credits or do I need a credit card? Because I do not have a credit card.

I know this question is dumb, but I'm still new.

If by eShop credit, you mean eShop cards, then yes, you can use those.

Years
    Thanks for the responses! I pretty much stopped playing Pokemon once when it went from the Gameboy Advance to the DS. So I have to ask...

Does it really matter whether you get a 2DS or 3DS to play these games? Do they look just the same on either one? I'm considering getting one but it's a pretty big investment it looks like. Thoughts?

Years
    Thanks for the responses! I pretty much stopped playing Pokemon once when it went from the Gameboy Advance to the DS. So I have to ask...

Does it really matter whether you get a 2DS or 3DS to play these games? Do they look just the same on either one? I'm considering getting one but it's a pretty big investment it looks like. Thoughts?

Nope it doesn't. The only difference is that the 2DS doesn't have a 3D-toggling function.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Is Magnezone the best non-legendary electric type pokemon in platinum? If not, then what pokemon is the best non-legendary electric type? Thank you guys for all your insight!!!!! :)

Years
    Is Magnezone the best non-legendary electric type pokemon in platinum? If not, then what pokemon is the best non-legendary electric type? Thank you guys for all your insight!!!!! :)
    I would probably say so, aside from what flight said above. Magnezone does have lots of resistances and has some utility moves it can be backed up with, so it's probably one of the better choices, although it can't do anything in the way of physical attacks. Electivire is better for those.

Years
    That depends on a few things:

• your budget level
    • whether or not you actually care about 3D
    • durability
    • whether you care about weird feeling of not having a lid close on your handheld

That's...basically it. The 2DS, as far as I know, is super budget friendly, costing around $100 these days if I'm correct, so it's definitely for those who don't really have too much cash to spend but don't want to miss out on the experience of playing the 3DS games. The 2DS, from what I heard, is also more durable than the 3DS since iirc it's originally meant for kids so they can have a system without fear of dropping it or going through a certain level of abuse, etc.

The 3DS itself, on the other hand (speaking on the new 3DS here because the old one is literally ass in comparison), has more color, looks more beautiful to play games with, faster processor which means that your games and everything else would load faster, and if you care about the 3D, it's been fixed in the New 3DS also to a rather beautiful effort. And colorful buttons, so there's that!!

Did this make sense? I can't really give out a recommendation off-hand since I'm not sure what exactly you preferences are...I will say that if you're not a fan of the New 3DS XL's size, then you're probably better off with a 2DS. Otherwise, the New 3DS is significantly better than the older handhelds.

I was looking at the crystal blue/red 2DS in the stores, they look neat, but I guess I'm just not sold on what they can offer. Though the clerk did tell me that because of the 3DS feature caused headaches, and wasn't healthy for kids is why the Nintendo made the 2DS so people can play all the 3DS games without worrying about the 3DS effects. Are they that serious? How alluring is the 3D feature?

I guess for me, I'm not partial to the 3D gimmick they create, just give me the game and how to play it and all will be good.

Years
    If I were you, I'd just take my chances on the New 3DS XL considering how beautiful most games actually look on it as compared to the 2DS/regular 3DS. Up to you on whether or not you have that kind of cash to spend though, as there's really no point in getting a regular 3DS at this point in time, anyway.

Which system do you own?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back