• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genetically modified food

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
  • A while ago, I found out that the yellow rice that my family sometimes buys from the supermarket is genetically modified product called "golden rice". (It is white rice with beta carotene added.) Afterwards, I found out that genetically modified food, or GMO food, is a controversial topic - especially in relation to whether or not the food is healthier than regular food.

What do you guys think? Do you think that people should eat GMO food?

Years
  • I think that a lot of the controversy about is rather unfounded quite frankly. I mean seriously, if it isn't bad for you and grows more efficiently - what's the problem? Besides if you really don't want to eat it, you can always buy organic, there's no need to bother other people.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    It's only a marketing ploy to get more money off crops. Otherwise, they would sell 3rd world countries seeds that don't die off after a few generations; but, you know. Muh profits. It's quite sickening.

As for the foods themselves, they are just the same thing except either bigger, added genes to add in healthier vitamins/minerals/nutritional shit. It doesn't really matter in the long scheme of things.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • To be honest; I have yet to hear any convincing evidence that GMOs have ever caused any public health concerns. There's a lot of unnecessary controversy over the topic because sometimes people think it may cause something that we cannot predict.

In the end though; I'm someone who believes that evidence is key to proving that GMOs are good, bad, or do no harm. The evidence we've amassed thus far is too small to call it. In the meantime I feel as if it makes more sense to not worry over the uncertainty. I'd say we need another 20 to 40 solid years of data from the real world to really even get a small clue to the effects of GMOs and if they can ever do harm. But I'm strongly doubting that they can; there's still much about the human body we don't understand too.

Relevant video:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I don't see the real health issues behind it, nor have I heard of many cases in which genetically modified food has put peoples health at risk. Carrots are an example of a food that has been genetically modified over time. Before the 17th century, almost all carrots were purple and the only reason why they are orange now is because of human interference using cross breeding methods.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I dont really care. If one thinks GMO's are bad (idk if they are or not) or some government conspiracy to dumb down the population (yes, really), thats fine- just dont interfere with the rest of us. Go eat the organic stuff.

I dont know much about GMO's, but as far as I know, they aren't particularly bad for you and they allow for the more crops to be grown. However, I do not like the billions of dollars of government money going towards Monsanto and stuff.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Humans have been genetically modifying food for thousands of years since our use of corn; why is this suddenly an issue when there's currently little to no evidence that they're hazardous to our health?

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Humans have been genetically modifying food for thousands of years since our use of corn; why is this suddenly an issue when there's currently little to no evidence that they're hazardous to our health?
    Because scientists are doing it, so it caused a backlash with the religious saying we're trying to play god. It's hardly god if you can do the same thing primitively by forcing animals/crops/etc to breed. The only real difference now is that genes donors can be animals from different genuses, etc.

manadhon

RTX-008L
    Years
  • The real issue is that we're creating these genetically modified organisms and entirely ignoring pre-existing varieties. You want a tomato that produces dozens of fruit per plant and is resistant to drought, cracking, and pests? They already exist. Corn that produces several ears a foot in length each? The list goes on. We're reinventing the wheel when we don't need to, and for what benefits?

Years
  • The real issue is that we're creating these genetically modified organisms and entirely ignoring pre-existing varieties. You want a tomato that produces dozens of fruit per plant and is resistant to drought, cracking, and pests? They already exist. Corn that produces several ears a foot in length each? The list goes on. We're reinventing the wheel when we don't need to, and for what benefits?

Combatting world hunger in developing nations would be one, as the only real way to sustainably feed those people is with GMOs with increased yields and resistant to the ills (pests, too much rain or lack thereof, of that particular area or region - not everything would normally grow wherever we need it to. You work around environmental limitations that way.

GMOs are safe, the science has made that abundantly clear. Now that being said, I don't like the idea of a huge corporation like Monsanto owning the food supply, directly or indirectly. That's where the apprehension should be coming from, not from the science of the thing.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Currently, we know that the majority of GMO's are safe, and have a net benefit. Of course research should be ongoing, and we should continue making sure that the things we eat are safe for our bodies and the environment, and won't have serious side-effects. We should also be wary of who's doing what and why - corporations care most about money and are amoral (neither moral nor immoral), after all.

~Psychic

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I don't see it as a problem at all. The anti-GMO movement seems like a marketing ploy to me. I went into a smaller local grocer with a huge sign above the door that said everything in the store was GMO free.

It's now also penetrating into the pet world...while getting horse feed the other day at my local mom and pop feed store I noted a new horse feed available: non-GMO, organic, soybean free, limited ingredient, non artificial, natural feed (seriously, EVERY single one of those adjectives were on the bag). The feed was also almost double the price and regular horse feed is already really expensive anyway. That's simply insane to me.

Now, I am not one to go out of my way to eat "organic" produce (with the exception of milk - I always get organic milk because it tastes better to me). I also do tend to eat meat that is either local or humanely raised, however, I think the anti-GMO thing is just strange and it seems to go along with the whole organic movement.

I see GMO's as a necessity. World population is huge! We need to feed all those people somehow. We have this science and knowledge and we need to use it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I don't see the real health issues behind it, nor have I heard of many cases in which genetically modified food has put peoples health at risk. Carrots are an example of a food that has been genetically modified over time. Before the 17th century, almost all carrots were purple and the only reason why they are orange now is because of human interference using cross breeding methods.
    The process of genetically modifying food is radically different from traditionally selective breeding and cross-breeding techniques. It involves the artificial modification of systemic DNA which could in turn, theoretically, pose a health risk. This risk is absent in more natural forms of selective breeding, which simply requires the expedited evolution of traits in plant foods that are beneficial to or preferred by humans.

I dont really care. If one thinks GMO's are bad (idk if they are or not) or some government conspiracy to dumb down the population (yes, really), thats fine- just dont interfere with the rest of us. Go eat the organic stuff.

I dont know much about GMO's, but as far as I know, they aren't particularly bad for you and they allow for the more crops to be grown. However, I do not like the billions of dollars of government money going towards Monsanto and stuff.
    Well, the idea of a government conspiracy is not completely out of the question. We do have politicians who promise to make actions against GMO prevalence in our food supply, only to turn around and protect Monsanto once elected. I do not see how anyone is interfering with people's ability to eat GMO foods. They are nearly ubiquitous at this point, so if you want to assume the potential risks, by all means no one is stopping you. Still, many would like them to be labeled to increase consumer awareness of the ubiquity of GMO foods. It's not like it's impossible to tell now. You can rest nearly assured that any food that is not certified non-GMO or organic will run a huge risk of being genetically modified. Whether government compliance and subsidization constitutes a viable conspiracy is up for debate.

Because scientists are doing it, so it caused a backlash with the religious saying we're trying to play god. It's hardly god if you can do the same thing primitively by forcing animals/crops/etc to breed. The only real difference now is that genes donors can be animals from different genuses, etc.
    This really misses the mark on what the debate is about, and how it has been framed by different groups. Traditionalist religious groups do not typically concern themselves with such ecological and nutritional concerns, though I don't want to overgeneralize. But this is not at all what the debate on GMOs rests on.

Combatting world hunger in developing nations would be one, as the only real way to sustainably feed those people is with GMOs with increased yields and resistant to the ills (pests, too much rain or lack thereof, of that particular area or region - not everything would normally grow wherever we need it to. You work around environmental limitations that way.

GMOs are safe, the science has made that abundantly clear. Now that being said, I don't like the idea of a huge corporation like Monsanto owning the food supply, directly or indirectly. That's where the apprehension should be coming from, not from the science of the thing.
    We already waste one third of the food produced globally. So higher yields means... yes, more food waste. If we already produce enough food to feed everyone in the world, why would producing more of it combat world hunger? There are tons of creative suggestions on how to combat world hunger. Particularly in Africa, strategies have been suggested to slow population growth, give more monetary resources to the people of Africa backed by the natural resources of the continent, provide poor Africans with agricultural skills and resources and disseminate human resource aid in hard-to-reach, remote areas of Africa. It is accepted that it is well within our means (as Western civilization, generally) to combat world hunger in meaningful ways. Growing more food is generally not a strategy that is discussed because it ignores critical failures in food dissemination that exist now in a wasteful world.

And with the science, it is more disputed than often made out to be. The posts in this thread would have many believe the science is settled when it is not. Potential risks have been highlighted by many researchers who conclude that while there is no decisive proof of these risks that toxicity could result from the reckless genetic modification of our food supply.

Currently, we know that the majority of GMO's are safe, and have a net benefit. Of course research should be ongoing, and we should continue making sure that the things we eat are safe for our bodies and the environment, and won't have serious side-effects. We should also be wary of who's doing what and why - corporations care most about money and are amoral (neither moral nor immoral), after all.

~Psychic
    Well, I don't agree about corporations, which are run by human calculation, as being amoral. Intentionally ignoring the potential risks of a business decision is, in my opinion, immoral. Though many economists would likely challenge me on this claim.

I don't see it as a problem at all. The anti-GMO movement seems like a marketing ploy to me. I went into a smaller local grocer with a huge sign above the door that said everything in the store was GMO free.

It's now also penetrating into the pet world...while getting horse feed the other day at my local mom and pop feed store I noted a new horse feed available: non-GMO, organic, soybean free, limited ingredient, non artificial, natural feed (seriously, EVERY single one of those adjectives were on the bag). The feed was also almost double the price and regular horse feed is already really expensive anyway. That's simply insane to me
    Well, I wouldn't pay for all that in horse feed, but I would in food for myself.

Years
  • )

Basically, everything that we buy at the supermarkets is genetically modified food. There is the organic stuff, yes, but things are genetically modified for a reason. They make the food more durable, lasting longer and greater immunity to bacteria and the like. There may be some health concerns, but the benefits are much more clear.

As for Organic stuff? Yeah, it's healthy, there's no pesticides used, no chemicals added, nothing crazy done to it. Just grown the old-fashioned way. And that's actually the very problem with it. The old fashioned way is inefficient. Those pesticides are there for a reason; to keep pests away. Those pests kill crops, and without the pesticides they become even more high maintenance. They are more prone to bacteria, mold, insects, and pretty much everything that can kill a plant. If everything were organic, it would be difficult to feed the massive population on this planet. It's also why organic stuff is so expensive. Sure, you're getting just the basic product with no chemicals, but it's really no more healthy than everything else. The word 'organic' is more a sales pitch than anything else.

Now, I'm not saying that everything that's put into food nowadays is good. All I'm saying is that the majority of it, even if there are some downsides, is more beneficial in the long run. If it weren't for those chemicals a fair amount of people who are here right now might just be dead.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with it and as long as everything is properly labeled and ethical, I think that they should continue modifying and improving crops as they have been.

Only with continued advancement can we even hope to sustain such a huge population and make the most out of what we have. As humans we have earned our right to evolve and so we should continue to do.

Back