• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Giving out "spelling advice"

Years
    Why do some people insist on giving out spelling advice as soon as someone makes a typo in a thread? This isnt just on this forum, but appears everywhere. IMHO it has nothing to do with the thread (unless the spelling is so bad you can't understand what the writer means) and just fills it with useless text that doesnt really help anyone.

Agree/disagree?

Last edited:

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    Strongly disagree. Sure, the grammar itself normally has nothing to do with the topic... but it just makes the forum seem less intelligent as a whole. Personally I only correct people because it bothers the hell out of me if I don't, but if I had to give an honest reason it would be that.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    People like that are just annoying usually, especially if only a few errors were made.

It's a completely different story if someone makes a post with a TON of spelling mistakes, as that just looks very unintelligent and possibly inebriated by some substance or lack of sleep. Just ignore the idiots who try to correct you, they'll shut up if you don't react to them at all usually.

Still I do understand how they feel. Seeing someone with poor spelling really annoys me, but I also realize that I make errors from time to time, especially when I'm half asleep, so I try to avoid being a spelling nazi unless that person has obviously posted something with many mistakes...and in that case, I'm usually only saying something out of kindness, since the trolls like to eat n00bs who are terrible at spelling >D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't give out spelling advice, but I do get annoyed when someone makes a spelling/grammar error. So I kind of agree to this.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I don't give spelling advice since as you may have already noticed I suck at spelling. I make so many mistakes but without knowing it. I usually don't re-read what I type so errors always make thier way into the posted product. >B(
    I hate it though when spelling noobs, give out "advice" and make your error look so big when they can't even spell "and" without making an error. XD

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    As long as the title of the topic is understandable, then it doesn't really bother me if a few errors were made. However, if someone actualy meant to misspell the title, it annoys me.. xD I don't like to correct people though, because I used to get corrected a few years back, and I know how annoying it can be because it made me feel stupid that I couldn't type as well as I do now. So yeah, I don't wanna give out spelling advice. I'm sure they'll learn how to spell as time progresses.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't understand. I'm fluent in chtspk and I can pretty much make sense out of any message you put in front of me so I feel no need to correct anyone. If I don't understand what I'm reading, I'll ask for clarification - but I wouldn't correct someone's spelling errors. That person could be dyslexic; he mightn't have had the best education; he just might have had a bad day and doesn't care about how he looks over the internet; maybe he just doesn't care. Grammar's the same. I don't know why people would try and enforce what's right on you - just makes you come off as arrogant/pretentious I guess.

@Pachy: When you're inebriated, you type as you would normally. Anyone who does so otherwise... isn't inebriated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    if the error isn't clearly a typo i guess taking initiative to correct the person is a "considerate thing to do" for future reference (though some people come off rather haughty about it) but i'd rather correct someone in private. doing it in the middle of a public discussion seems impolite, kind of like informing someone they've got a crotch stain loudly in a room full of people.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    People use spelling everyday of their lives, and generally just English in general. If you can't spell a simple world correctly, it's probably good people point it out to you.

I, on the other hand, really don't care if someone makes spelling mistakes.

Years
    I have no idea. I'm leaning toward disagree.

It used to bother me, to no end. I couldn't stand it, at all. When I got paired with this girl, on another forum, the first thing I told her was, "do you mind capitalizing the beginning of your sentences?" Not a very nice thing to do. Nowadays, I'm on so many different forums and have gotten used to it. Still, I very much prefer it when people use proper punctuation and grammar. Makes it easier on the eyes.

Years
    Yeah, it's a weird thing. On the one hand, I make a typo (I edit them if I see them though) here and a mistake where I just didn't know it better (due to English only being my second language) there, and still I occassionally tend to correct people who have a worse spelling (yes, that IS possible) than me.

When I do that, I try to make it only a line in a bigger on-topic post though. But it's not that often anyways.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I think people just get irked by typos- I know I do sometimes. I can understand most of what people are saying, but spelling mistakes still bother me. If there are more than two typos in a sentence, I feel the need to correct the person. I will post my own content after correcting them, of course; I won't just waste space telling them what they are doing wrong. People who do that irk me.
    One word I can excuse is "grammar". I think about 75% of the people I know spell it wrong.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    You must be joking. Or very bad at statistics. How do they spell it, then?

They tend to spell it "grammer". 75% might be off a bit, but I do see it spelled correctly about one out of every four times I see the word. I just sigh and shake my head at the world.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    It kind of bugs me when people misspell simple words such as "does." On the other hand, if they are spelling words like "acrylic," but add two 'L's I will point it out, because it is just something simple.

I have my days where I can't spell(or type, rather) to save my life, so I understand both sides. Dx

Neo Duality

Waveform
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2011
    I can't stand even the most minute literary errors in the sentence construction of an individual. It irks me to no end, and I instantly label the user in question as "inferior".

Meh.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Oh, and then there are the people who try way to hard to sound smart. People who spend like 10 minutes to type one sentence... .

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    It irks me, being the stickler for grammar that I am, but I typically don't point it out except for the rare occasion that I'm actually reviewing a piece of fan fiction. I'm just too lazy to correct it, just like I'm too lazy to review fan fiction on a regular basis.

However, I am careful to make sure that there are no errors in my own posts... I don't appear quite as stupid that way. xD

Neo Duality

Waveform
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2011
    Oh, and then there are the people who try way to hard to sound smart. People who spend like 10 minutes to type one sentence... .

Intelligence is extremely necessary in a community full of morons who cannot even spell "you're" and "too".

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Intelligence is extremely necessary in a community full of morons who cannot even spell "you're" and "too".

Or to people who are insecure and need to constantly reassure themselves that they're superior whilst on the internet.

Back