• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Giving up my iPod for a Walkman (30 Year anniversary~)

Years
  • Giving up my iPod for a Walkman (BBC)

Giving up my iPod for a Walkman (30 Year anniversary~)

When the Sony Walkman was launched, 30 years ago this week, it started a revolution in portable music. But how does it compare with its digital successors? The Magazine invited 13-year-old Scott Campbell to swap his iPod for a Walkman for a week.
    Well that should have been quite an experience. I still have a Cassette tape Walkman at home. :>

Still works too. XD

And I want an IPod. XDDDD

So post about your experiences of the Music tecnology days before the MP3 Revolution. :D

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I can't even imagine going back to a portable CD player anymore, let alone a casette player. That kid is hardcore. XD;

I never even had a portable CD player until like two or three years before I got my iPod so I really had no experience with portable music players until MP3 players had already invaded the market. I can remember being super jealous of the kids who did have them, though.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • wow, my old walkman seems so primitive now compared to my iPod touch. having to fast forward or flip over the tape to find the song I want seems so time consuming and annoying. I'd sooner go a week without my iPod than deal with a walkman again.

In retrospect, when I did have a walkman and iPod was just some crazy thought in Steve Jobs' head, they were actually pretty fly. to be seen jogging down the street with a pair of headphones attached to a small box on you hip was all the rage. It certainly revolutionized the way we listen to music and began grading the road that eventually became the true Mobile Music market. My hat's off to the walkman for it's innovation back in the day.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Wow going back to a cassette player. I wouldn't be able to do that.

I never had a cassete player myself. I did get a portable CD player which I used to take everywhere. I can,t imagine doing that now though as my ipod just has so many songs on it.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I still have, and occasionally use, a modern Sony Radio/Cassette Walkman and a Sony CD Walkman.

For some time I had a Sony MP3 player, but now I've got an iPod because I sold out. Sorry Sony =[

Years
  • I had a walkman back in my youth!
    I loved it. =]

Then it went to CD player. That was such a big thing to carry around.

Now I have an I-pod Touch. I couldn't imagine going back to the walkman. It would just be un-naturally big for me. :/

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Well when I was about 11 I got my first Walkman and could finally listen to (my mom's) music on the go... Then when I was 12 I got my first Discman (CD Player)... I didn't get my first MP3 player until I was 14, and I just got my iPod in December... *sigh* I probably couldn't go back XD

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Wow.... going from an iPod to an old Walkman?... I couldn't do it. XD

But a few days ago I was thinking about something like this too. I saw someone with a CD player and here I am with my iPod and I was like "How can people take CDs anymore?". I mean I know not everyone can run out ad buy an iPod. But there are some very low priced MP3 players. So I just can't understand the use of CDs.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    CDs have superior bitrates so I can stand them easily, depending on headphones. But decent ones need an amplifier and then I'm at a loss.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Before getting my ipod I had cd players. They were fine at first, but later I had to deal with skipping problems that got very annoying. << One time it also damaged my Pokemon Johto cd; I guess I had pressed the pause/play button too hard or something because I heard a scrape inside the player. Next thing I knew there was a scratch circling my cd and the Jigglypuff song was never the same again. ;__;

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    I record mp3's from my computer on to cassette tapes with a mini jack attached, I have it plugged into the computer and then pressing record on the other tape while it plays on the stereo.

That way I can listen to my favourite new songs or ones that aren't mainstream in my car, I also use my old walkman too because I like the look of it. :3

Max™

Needs to scarfduggy
    Years
  • I actually never had an iPod and actually still use a CD player but no, i cant see myself go back on an iPod if I ever had one.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Well I always had a cd player and only recently I got an MP3 player. But the thing is so damaged suprisingly enough I only use a CD player and my phone. And you know what? I love cd players. The damn things are awesome.

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    Before anything i had a portable CD Player and then a MP3, until the iPod came i've never seen music in a different way. :P

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • It's incredible how far technology has advanced, and how we take something as simple as an iPod for granted nowadays. XD;

Back