• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google+ shuts down amid data vulnerability

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
i never lost faith in google, its still my go to. But google+ was pretty dead for a long time sadly. Its google though, they might attempt at another social media, but call it something else.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Good riddance @ g+ but... yikes at that security breach. :/ Not a good look, Google.

Sorry to the 12 people who still used Google Plus, this loss must hit you hard.

Years
I mean.. it makes sense why they didn't say anything for months. Had they come out with it during the time that Facebook was all wrapped up in its Cambridge Analytica scandal, people would be getting their pitchforks and going straight to Google HQ.

Google is... interestingly perceptive of things sometimes. In order to save face, they decided to hold off on disclosing this as long as possible under everything kind of blew over.

Ah, well. When all is said and done, G+ was going to die eventually, anyway. I'm afraid social networking just isn't your forte, Google. It was a shot, though!

FlameChrome

Years
i mean google is wonderful with lots of other things, they had a neatish idea but hard to get into it since twitter, snapchat, instagram, and facebook being the big leaders of social media.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Google+ flopped badly so it's just matter of time when Google shuts it down. This data vulnerability allows them to do it without having to admit defeat, remember that Google+ was supposed to be rival to Facebook.

Cherrim

Years
Google did quietly remove "Don't be evil" from its company code of conduct earlier this year. I wonder if that's when they found out about the breach and just decided they'd rather not talk about it than be, you know, not evil. :P

Cherrim

Years
Google is known for spying so I think they removed that because people doesn't believe it anymore. If you want to know more about Google's evilness, check out Leave Google Behind.
Any website offering you a service for free is using your information. It's in the TOS nobody reads.

I'm less worried about Google knowing where I drove last month than I am about Google working with the Chinese government to facilitate their mass censorship. I think the latter is probably a lot more in line with why they took that line out of their code of conduct.

FlameChrome

Years
i do agree, facebook, and everything else of social media or free service is using your data (information) to sell and make money. So idk why people would want to leave it, its like saying leave social media also. It just makes no sense.

Years
Google did quietly remove "Don't be evil" from its company code of conduct earlier this year. I wonder if that's when they found out about the breach and just decided they'd rather not talk about it than be, you know, not evil. :P
While it's true that it no longer prefaces the CoC, I did actually find that it's still stated in the last line of it.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Google+ launched during a time where it fell into the shadow of a lot of other social media. I never personally met a single person offline or on that used it for anything other than being able to login their account elsewhere. It was trying to be Myspace when people didn't even really want Myspace anymore. /huffs Oh welllll.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Makes sense. Well, to be exact it's more of a surprise that they kept that thing for as long as they did. I wonder who they needed to fire in order to let it go :laugh-squinted:

Years
And if I may ask, could you please expand on your reasoning? Are you saying that Google should fire their entire workforce because of some corrupt executive that decided to sweep a months-old security breach under the rug until a whistle-blower uncovered it?

Back