• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gotta Breed Them All

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Gotta Breed Them All

Breeding is one of those things that many casual players may tend to overlook, but to some of the most hardcore players it can be just as important as training. Breeding Pokémon can allow a player to find the "perfect" version (to them) of a Pokémon, meaning rare moves, ideal natures, perfect IVs, shiny, etc. The whole process, though, is harder than it sounds, and it can take hours to get the perfect egg.

What is your take on breeding? Do you do it often? Have you mastered its ways?

Also, what do you think of the various special aspects of it? Have you heard of the Masuda method? Have you ever used a Destiny Knot? Do you even know what the Incense items can do? How has breeding changed for you over the years?

And finally, just how many have you bred and hatched?

sorry for the lame title

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I've done a lot of breeding across the different games and I think it can be pretty fun! I've bred for shinies, good IV Pokémon...you name it. I'm a bit tired of it recently but I think it's a fun hobby overall!

I don't know how you can do it. I tried breeding in like Diamond or something and it just took too long so I gave up. These days I tend not to bother.
    Though, I do know someone that bred a veritable army of shiny Pokémon. I'm not really sure how long it took him, but he was working at it for weeks. I don't have that kind of tenacity.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I love to breed pokemon :3 I do it relatively often, but I don't have a project at the moment. I know what all of the items do, and I have heard of the Masuda meathod (though I am not one to use it). Some people have the drive to breed for shinies, but I don't find them necessary. All of the pokemon I have bred are for ivs, egg moves, abilities etc. Of course, i'll keep a shiny if I get one, they are still cool to have.

I didn't really know about iv breeding until gen 6, so I guess my knowledge changed drastically then. To put it in perspective, I learned almost everything I know while sitting in tc's irc :P

For the number of eggs? Too many to know.

Years
  • Last time I made an effort to breed any sort of pokemon, it was to get a second eevee in my gold version, I think. And I didn't care what it was like, I just wanted a second eevee because I wanted an espeon as well as the umbreon I had.

Otherwise, I really can't be bothered too much about breeding. Seems...very time-consuming, definitely. Not sure if I would have the patience for it even if it does mean I'd get something better.

Years
  • I breed occasionally for fun. I've tried to get shinies a couple of times from it, but no luck. Doing some breeding now to help me complete the dex in ORAS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I do it all the time! For mostly just my favorite Pokemon, or if I wanna breed a friend something special and whatnot. It definitely makes me feel more like that Pokemon is mine, like it's my baby or something. <3

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I honestly want to say i've probably bred over a 1000 which makes me nauseous to think about. when I breed to tend to only care about the nature and the gender. idk why i have this thing where the pokemon i want has to be the gender i feel it looks.

when i was really bad i would even hatch the eggs in certain locations that i thought were fitting to the pokemon.

my method was always throw a pokemon with flame body into the mix with 5 eggs and ride my bike like a psycho. I always used ditto as the breeding partner because i could never be bothered for egg moves

Years
  • I liked getting to do breeding when the DS games came about, even if I never really battled competitively it was still fun getting stuff with different egg moves or good stats all-around. But it got more interesting in B2W2 when the Everstone would guaranteed pass natures when held, and then with XY there was the Destiny Knot. It's fun to breed different kinds of Pokémon and try to get creative thinking of ideas.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Breeding is terrible to do in the older generations in which I'm mostly playing, so I don't spend much time to it. I only breed if I want to have a certain egg move on a Pokémon and once to get a specific nature, but it's too time consuming and I don't care enough for shinies to breed for those, not even with the Masuda method.

Years
  • I usually only breed to complete the Dex but I do think it's an interesting and important part of the game. I just don't have the patience. Perhaps if they introduced a mini game type thing like Super Training but for breeding or even just to make hatching more fun than going round in circles on your bike!

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2015
    I've recently started breeding a lovely competitive team and I like the way things are turning out. I tend to breed only for the stats that most benefit my Pokemon as well as an okay nature. Unfortunately, since I just started, I lack a good ditto and therefore I rely on my competitively viable Pokes I've received in trades for breeding.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I never use to breed, but I started doing it on and off in Gen IV and V, then became REALLY big on it in Gen VI. I really don't like the process, it feels very tedious and just feels kind of like false padding to lengthen the game's replay value... but in the end it's always worth it, so I keep doing it.

I typically always use the Masuda Method, as well as Destiny Knot. It's gotten me a decent number of legit near perfect IV shinies, including a Ralts (who is now a Gardevoir named Io) and and Eevee (who is now an Espeon named Carbuncle.) It also got me a shiny Goomy within four eggs when I FIRST started MM'ing in X. I was honestly shocked to see that happen. Traded it for a shiny Ponyta for my fiancee, since she adores it. That Ponyta's name is Arvak. ^-^

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Breeding is good, I love the sweet Egg Moves.
    I'm a fan of breeding for the perfect IVs as well!

Back