• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphic making program

Graphic editing program?

• Photoshop

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Gimp

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Paint

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

Tsugaru

Twilight
Years
  • Photoshop CS2 on Vista and CS3 on Leopard(Mac), I personally prefer CS2 over CS3 and use CS2 way more. I don't do much graphic-ing now though, mainly only for school projects. D;

Years
  • I always find that Photoshop is far too overengineered for my needs (which normally only amount to making the backgrounds of sprites transparent and resizing the odd avatar, mind), and given that The GIMP can generally perform most of Photoshop's features with a much quicker loading time (for me, at any rate), it's my choice. Plus, seriously, it's called The GIMP. Inspired, no? xD

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Adobe Photoshop CS2 and GIMP.

I rarely, rarely use GIMP because I just can't figure that program out, and any graphics I make in GIMP are far worse than the ones I make in CS2.

I use MS Paint for plain, solid borders though, simply because I'm too lazy to change the settings of my palette so that the black line around the canvas doesn't show up, and that black line totally throws me off.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Gimp really annoys me because I, like others, never figured out how to use it properly and make it [half] as good as Photoshop is. So, with that said, I prefer Photoshop CS3 over anything because I have the most experience with that over most programs I try to use; like Paint Shop Pro and all of that good stuff. I've tried Photoshop CS2 and CS4, but those two aren't as stable (in my opinion) as CS3 is and I don't really have any need for any of the extra features in CS4.

...I miss my Photoshop. ;;

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I primarily use Paint for most of my work, then sometimes I use Gimp for the more complex editing like layers. Paint is simple and easy. Period.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
  • Aurapostle: Pidgin? Win.

I know how to use GIMP, but I'm becoming fonder of photoshop.
    GIMP has the advantage of an interface that's pretty easy to learn (just look at photoshop's menus! ACK!) and automatic tool switching when the mouse, pen tip, and pen eraser are used, remembering which tool you used for each one.
    Photoshop has smoother antialiasing, more brushes, and some amazing filters. It's also more widely supported on filter download sites, and on tutorial sites.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

I mainly use GIMP for graphics making. I sometimes use Paint also-but usually whatever I do there I end up pasting/reloading in GIMP for processing into the final image.
    That's basically why my graphics (including my sig banners) look very 80s-ish (aka 'too simplistic') compared to others here.

Last edited:

Sokai

s ♥ n e
    Years
  • I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, which sucks because everyone and their mother use some form of Photoshop, so every tutorial I want to use involves Selective Coloring or some other Photoshop-only feature. :/

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Photoshop elements for me. :3

It's sort of like regular photoshop. Though, some of the features are different but it still works when using graphics, so its good enough for me.

Years
  • I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, which sucks because everyone and their mother use some form of Photoshop, so every tutorial I want to use involves Selective Coloring or some other Photoshop-only feature. :/

Wow, you use PSP? I used to use that, back in the day! I even think it was 8. Brings back the memories. :D ...then I kind of moved onto Photoshop. I did prefer it for spriting over Photoshop, though.

For banner/avatar making and other misc editing, Photoshop 7. BEAT THAT. :D

I use Paint to save screenshots since Photoshop does take some time to load on my computer, for basic diagrams for my writing, and on the very rare occasion that I feel like attempting to sprite.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I just got Photoshop CS4 today. After using a program for years that didn't have a true layer system, it's like I've died and gone to heaven. And the brushes are much, much nicer.

So yeah. Photoshop CS4 for me.

Years
  • Photoshop CS2 mainly for most graphics, I rarely used GIMP in my early days, but I am going to try it out, since that is also free (yay, I love free stuff!)

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I actually have Photoshop CS3, but I have no idea how to even use the basics of the program. I want to make graphics for the forums I visit, but I'm having trouble even opening and saving files. ><

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • I use Photoshop CS4 although the brush loads are a little slow, its very good.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • I actually have Photoshop CS3, but I have no idea how to even use the basics of the program. I want to make graphics for the forums I visit, but I'm having trouble even opening and saving files. ><

Same here. Photoshop is really complex. It'll take a while before you figure out what everything does.

Metamence

Years
  • I use GIMP because I don't have the money to get Photoshop and it is indeed useful..
    Paint is just a default program which doesn't have most features as programs similar to Photoshop..
    Although it does prove useful in spriting...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I use Photoshop CS4 it's great,Paint is not even a program,just some picture editor.

Back