• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grinding, Grinding, Grinding...

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • 31-Fire_Emblem_(J)_Chapter_02_Turn_03_Battle_02.gif

When you usually grind in video games, you basically have to do repeated tasks, like, defeating random encounters of enemies over and over again for Experience, or, maybe you want to constantly do in-game jobs for the currency in the video game world. Either or, to reach a certain point, it might take us a while! Well, with all that being said...

*How well do you like grinding in video games in general?
    *Do you have a game where you enjoy to grind? What video games do you not like to grind?
    *What do you think on grinding in general? Feel free to share all thoughts on this!

Years
  • 75% of the whole play time I will be spending grinding my characters completely beyond what they should be; it's like a drug to me XD Though the downfall with constantly grinding is that the difficulty, if any, level of the game becomes non-existent. For example, I'm playing Bravely Default right now, nearly halfway through the game and I can tell I'm beyond the point where I should be in terms of their levels. Monsters are being one-shotted left and right, yet I have no intention of stopping the grinding process OTL Despite being rather time consuming and unproductive, progressing the story-wise, I've done this in all the RPG games I've played.

Last edited:

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
    Years
  • It really just depends on the game for me. In Pokemon, I don't necessarily enjoy grinding for hours unless it's for a certain goal. Though, in other games such as Maplestory (MMORPG), I like grinding simply because you can change it up a bit with different skills, etc.

Years
  • When I'm grinding in games like Pokémon and Fire Emblem, and about to go into a tough battle, I make sure that my team is at high enough levels.

In Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm grinding so that I can change a character's class, or to max out their level.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Hmmm... when I'm in the mood I enjoy grinding, it depends on how I feel. Though, I suppose the most rewarding aspect of it is becoming all powerful lol. But grinding in a game like Dark Souls is depressing... especially when you get cursed...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it really depends. If it's a game where you level-up characters by defeating enemies and the like, then, yeah, I will grind, because when I get up to boss fights, I just don't want to have such a hard time. xD"

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Grinding...I have done so much grinding in my life. I have yet to play a game where grinding is a lot of fun. I really wish they'd make it fun. I do have a somewhat high tolerance for grinding I guess, since you seriously have to put in hundreds of hours of grinding into the Disgaea series and PSO to defeat the strongest enemies (not to mention the grinding I've done in other games). But I do reach a point where I can't take it anymore.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Hmmm... when I'm in the mood I enjoy grinding, it depends on how I feel. Though, I suppose the most rewarding aspect of it is becoming all powerful lol. But grinding in a game like Dark Souls is depressing... especially when you get cursed...

Also just the fact that when you grind in that game and you accidentally kill yourself it's one of the most maddening things ever. Especially if you die twice considering than you can't even get the souls that you've dropped. It's just rage inducing.

Grinding I feel is just the way a company tries to elongate a game. It's tedious and not fun at all in my opinion. A game should be able to continuously flow without having to stop because you aren't a "certain level." It takes the immersion right out of the game.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    When I "mastered" almost everything about Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy Tactics (the War of the Lions edition), I started making different save files wherein for each one I would take a different job/class tree route and basically just grind before every major game event. Does that count? :p

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I hate grinding. It's boring, repetitive and really serves no purpose towards the story. However, I'll do it because I know I have to. I just hate it.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • Grinding is fun in some games and in others; I can't say I really like it in your regular turn-based RPG because it's always something along the lines of attack, attack, use x skill, etc. and nothing's really that fun. I've always enjoyed it in action RPGs [or Fire Emblem, I dunno why] because it's usually fun just to beat down monsters by mashing buttons using personal skill, regardless of if they're the same ones over and over.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I actually have fun with grinding. I love being overlevel because I hate struggling with bosses when it can easily be avoided by grinding. I usually watch videos or listen to music or even grind in two games when I do this though. Eases the pain and makes it go a lot faster.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I actually have fun with grinding. I love being overlevel because I hate struggling with bosses when it can easily be avoided by grinding. I usually watch videos or listen to music or even grind in two games when I do this though. Eases the pain and makes it go a lot faster.

Yeah, the end result of grinding is fun, its just that getting to the good part usually sucks.

Years
  • I don't grind much at all, but the hardest game (for me) to grind in was Knights of the Old Republic. Nearly impossible... and the level cap is 20 so...

Years
  • I actually have fun with grinding. I love being overlevel because I hate struggling with bosses when it can easily be avoided by grinding. I usually watch videos or listen to music or even grind in two games when I do this though. Eases the pain and makes it go a lot faster.

That's pretty much what I do! Though the option of auto-battling in Bravely Default makes it exceptionally easy and less painful :P Not sure if that feature exists in other games, but it's definitely the first game that I've played which has it. My hatred towards needing to struggle against bosses is because of my cheapness in-game XD I don't want to expend tons of money to buy items which would help and heal my characters constantly; it would drag the battle on too long. I like bulldozing my way through :3

Ibraihim the Betrayed

You are not prepared...
    Years
  • I extremely dislike grinding. I've been doing it since 2009 in World of Warcraft and have yet too reach max level in an expansion. The closest I've ever been is right now, I've got a level 86 and the max level is 90. My girlfriend has been playing for about a month, with me, and she's beating me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    That's pretty much what I do! Though the option of auto-battling in Bravely Default makes it exceptionally easy and less painful :P Not sure if that feature exists in other games, but it's definitely the first game that I've played which has it. My hatred towards needing to struggle against bosses is because of my cheapness in-game XD I don't want to expend tons of money to buy items which would help and heal my characters constantly; it would drag the battle on too long. I like bulldozing my way through :3

The only other game I've seen an auto battle feature in is the Tales series (but its not as good as in Bravely Default). But ermahgerd auto battle on Bravely Default (which I just discovered) makes life so much better. I've been having a bit of a tough time lately, and was not looking forward to grinding, but now its not so bad. If only you didn't have to hit A at the end of battles....

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • The only interesting thing I can say about grinding is that when I played Mother (Earthbound Zero) I didn't know about the ATMs, so I slowly grinded to the point where I was level 12 before entering the graveyard. Made the rest of the game a breeze.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Grinding can be fun, but also can be very frustrating and time consuming. I can relate this to training my Pokemon. It's rewarding to see my Pokemon level up and grow stronger after hard work. At the same time, it's very tiring when the wild Pokemon in the grass give too little XP, so I have to keep on walking around and downing them until mine levels up. This is why I love going on mass Audino killing sprees lol.

Back