• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] GT Challenge

Years
    Putting this here for when Loomie is back. Right now, the idea about the rules is to let people "sacrifice" their Pokémon after each battle. There is possibility to add achievements (for example as a team you need to kill at least 1 pokemon for each type). We'll probably discuss this more on discord and then post thread template here.

Eleanor here~ We got a first post!

Members of two rival clans, improvised trainers, set off for the adventure of a lifetime, in search of healing and peace of mind. But the deities they worship won't be so easy to bestow such blessings...

Divine Offering
    Get Together 2022 - Pokémon Challenge

Rules

This challenge involves, as usual, playing a main series Pokémon game from start to finish with some self-imposed rules. This time around, those will be assigned to every new player at sign-up, and will be active since the game starts. They're almost like... curses... and no, there's no way to get rid of them, unless...

🌹 You may complete this challenge on any main line Pokémon game (except Legends:Arceus), as well as any hack that still follows the typical '8 Badges and League' format.
    🦴 The challenge is considered completed when you see your game's Credits roll for the first time.
    🌹 This challenge will last for the entire duration of the Get-Together!
    🦴 You can sign-up with the form below. After that, please wait to get a set of rules assigned to you! You'll find all of your information in the Player Board in the following post.

Yes, you can pray for the two Deities, Marowak or Decidueye, to bestow their blessings. But in order to appease them, you will need to offer the right Pokémon in your team... one that they will deem worthy. How does one Pokémon attain such status? By showing its prowess in an important battle...

🌹 If any of your Pokémon is able to KO an opponent during a Gym battle (or for games set in Alola, all Kahuna fights plus the trials in Verdant Cavern, Wela Volcano Park, Abandoned Supermarket, and Vast Poni Canyon), it will become worthy in the eyes of the Deities. A small number of rules may override this, but this is the norm for most situations!
    🦴 You may then permanently box or free a worthy Pokémon as sacrifice, to have those self-imposed rules (please keep in mind that each rule will have 3 stages to go through, which may vary and not always become easier). The Pokémon must be appropriate for the rule, too - each rule will specify which Pokémon can be sacrificed to get rid of it.
    🌹 You can sacrifice multiple worthy Pokémon per battle!

The Deities have recognized your concerted effort, though.

🦴 You can sacrifice a Pokémon not only to remove your own rules, but to remove those of a teammate as well. Work as a team and help each other out!
    🌹 Just one detail: once someone's has progressed to the next level thanks to a sacrifice, no one may sacrifice any further Pokémon for it until the person who needs to follow that rule completes a Segment. Basically, for each Segment a person completes, no more than 3 sacrifices will be possible even in the best looking scenario~ This is a bit hard to explain, we know...
    🦴 And that's why you can always reach out to us, Eleanor and Janp, in this thread or over on Discord, for anything you may need or have doubts on! We'll do our best to help and update all of the player information down below, at least daily.
    🌹 That said, please remember to keep track of your progress (and your sacrifices) after every badge. It looks like the Challenge mods are in different teams so... we shall be responsible for our own teams to keep everything recorded!
    🦴 Communication will likely be key. This is why it's strongly encouraged to keep track of your progress in this thread after every important fight, but also join the PokéCommunity Discord for faster updates. You can find us in our respective team channels or in #gt-challenge!

A small glossary:

To clarify the way some rules are worded...
    - It's already noted that battles during which your Pokémon can become worthy are... Gym battles (or for games set in Alola, all Kahuna fights plus the trials in Verdant Cavern, Wela Volcano Park, Abandoned Supermarket, and Vast Poni Canyon). Add Champion battles to the list, and that group makes up what are called final battles! (No, your Pokémon don't become worthy of a sacrifice when you defeat the Champion. You do ♥)
    - Why 'final'? Because they mark the end of a segment and the start of a new one. The segment being, anything that happens between those two final battles.
    - Major battles are not just Final battles, but also battles against your Rivals, villainous team Admins and Leaders, and Elite 4 / League members in general. For Alola Games, the other Trials that weren't mentioned before (Brooklet Hill, Lush Jungle, Mt. Hokulani) also fall in this category.
    - You may find that a Pokémon may be eligible for a sacrifice if it "can learn a move". That means, not only it doesn't have to know that move right now, but it can also be a move that it could only learn via Egg move, TM/TR, event or in a game from a more recent generation than that you're playing on. If, for example, a Rule says you must sacrifice a Pokémon who "can know" Grass Knot but you're playing Pokémon Emerald, where that move doesn't exist... you can still sacrifice a Roselia you've caught, since that Roselia could learn that move in a different game.
    - The same is true for Abilities! For example, if you're playing a Gen 2 game, you may still sacrifice a Pokémon based on this criteria. For example, you may sacrifice a Vaporeon in Pokémon Gold as a "Pokémon who may have Water Absorb", because that is Vaporeon's typical ability since Gen 3 onwards. This also means that if you are playing, let's say, Platinum, and have to sacrifice a "Pokémon who may have Hustle", but you have a Togekiss that has Serene Grace... it still counts, because Hustle is one of Togekiss's possible abilities.

🌹 During this challenge you shall gain... Challenge Points, through various means. The main one is to sacrifice Pokémon, which will yield 2, 4 or 8 points depending on the Stage of the rule you're trying to remove.
    🦴 Careful with what you sacrifice! Offering the same Pokémon twice will halve the points you get, and every subsequent sacrifice will work the same way. So points will become 1, 2 or 4.
    🌹Every person who reaches the Hall of Fame will let their team gain 20 Challenge Points!
    🦴 We may distribute points to each team based on some Achievements: specifically, if your team has the largest number of different species submitted; if your team has submitted the sacrifice with the highest level or the lowest level; if your team has made the most sacrifices per person playing.
    🌹 Individual achievements are also possible for those who complete their game of choice. You may get some boons if you only sacrifice Pokémon for other players, or on the opposite, if you only do it for yourself with no outside help; if you end the run with no more rules left, or if you just... haven't removed a single one; if you sacrifice no Pokémon at all, or if you are able to sacrifice 6 Pokémon in a single fight.
    🦴 The team who has the highest amount of Challenge Points at the end of the GT is the winner of the challenge! They shall get 150 Get Together points (the real deal), while the opposing team may get a variable amount of points based on how close they got to first place. We'll normalize the results to be on par with the other events, basically.

Sign-up Form

🌹 Name:
    🦴 Team:
    🌹 Game of choice:
    🦴 Trainer Class: (for cosmetic purposes)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Is sacrificing a thing you can maybe do for rewards or a thing you must do as part of the challenge? Either option sounds interesting but the latter sounds more challenging.

Years
    As part of the challenge, but each team could have list of missions/achievements that will reward points.

So something that pops into my head is potentially doing something similar to Ultimecia's Castle in Final Fantasy VIII.

For those unaware, all of your normal options both in and out of battle are unavailable when you first enter, and you unlock one option for each boss in the castle you defeat. For example, you initially cannot use magic but once a boss has been defeated, you can choose to unlock it.

Could we do something similar for this? Maybe not as harsh as like disallowing everything, but I know last year's event had random rules for each person so maybe people could have a few detrimental ones in which they can choose to get rid of by sacrificing certain Pokemon? Say for example, you can remove your highest level Pokemon to get rid of IDK, the rule that doesn't allow you to use TMs or something.

I also want to ask - will the this be a Baton Pass type thing similar to last year? I ask because that was a REALLY good event and think it would be great again this year, could even have it that you have to sacrifice a Pokémon from the team given to you or something.

Years
    Oh that's interesting. You'd have to make sure people weren't sacrificing random stuff though regardless. You should need to actually be using what you give up.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I like the idea (also ultimecias's castle is one of my favorite dungeons of FF, both mechanics and music).
    To give the event a similar atmosphere you could make everyone start with something like no evolution, no items, no revive (maybe including pokemon center (I remember that in ultimecia's castle there was a mechanic that even if you were allowed to use items you were not able to revive characters until unlocking that feature)) no legendaries (depending on the part of the story), and as you progress and get a gym badge you are allowed to evolve 1 or 2 of your pokemon (depending on the progress and random rules) and also give the option to sacrifice something (maybe not limited to pokemon depending on the progress) in exchange to avoid or eliminate a rule and depending of the progress unlock some features that usually makes the games easier along the way. Maybe also add the option of selection like choosing one of two rules before being able to progress. (Hope it doesn't sound too complicated and apologies for my grammar).

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm having a mixed feelings about the idea. It could make early game either quite annoying to go through or barely affect it, since some rules would only work later in the game and late-game could be quite boring, because as your options for Pokémon, items and everything grows, you would have only few to no rules that would limit your choices. BUT it might work if each rule also had a cost to get rid of it, for example a hard rule needing level 40 Pokémon as sacrifice. And the rules can't be random (as they usually were in previous years), but there would need to be sets of rules that work great together and won't break down when one or two rules are removed.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    Very sorry I'm posting here just now, I also shall be quick bc I don't have much time today, but I'm liking the idea ♥

However, I am also agreeing with Aaron about the Baton Pass thing and how nice it was to see such teamwork in a Challenge event! The GT is the perfect moment to have team-focused challenges after all. And so, I've been thinking about how to add that aspect into what we've already got going on. Not easy I'll admit, I drew blanks quite often, but here's a few ideas~

So, we have players starting out with a set of rules and having to sacrifice Pokémon (that have fought in a gym battle or something and are therefore valuable) to get rid of them / make them less restrictive. Let's say we can award points depending on how many badges a team's collected in game, or how many members finished their save. But, we might also award points based on the "quality" of the sacrificed Pokémon (do they fit with what Marowak or Decidueye stand for? what's their level? how important were they for your team?) for example.

- Now, something I talked about in the discord was adding a team wide dupes clause on the sacrificed Pokémon. Either that or something to that effect to limit how many Bidoof and Zubat you can submit. This might not be needed per sé if we are very specific about which Pokémon needs to be sacrificed (for example, it needs to have the ability X, or needs to be a rare encounter)... but it's a possibility.

- To balance that out and increase teamwork, maybe we could have that... Pokémon can be sacrificed both for your own and your teammates' rules. Personally, I'd love to see a challenge that makes you really consider high-risk-high-reward decisions: if you're that kind of person and you wanna sacrifice like 5 Pokémon for every gym you beat, so that you can at least help out your team, why take that possibility away, right?

In order to make this work I think we would need to have either tiered rules (each Pokémon you sacrifice makes the rule a bit less harsh but you need to sacrifice at least 3 or 4 Pokémon to get rid of it entirely) or... a lot of rules, which is probably the least feasible option. Either way, that would leave a lot of opportunities for sacrifices to be made!

- I've been considering having something like a hard limit on how many Pokémon a person can catch, but that feels a bit harsh to implement. If the dupes clause + all the tiered rules can already allow for diversity with the sacrifices, and the points make it more enticing to get rid of Pokémon you are actually using and training as opposed to the first thing you catch, then we should be good, right?

I'm here for any feedback of course ♥

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    So, we have players starting out with a set of rules and having to sacrifice Pokémon (that have fought in a gym battle or something and are therefore valuable) to get rid of them / make them less restrictive. Let's say we can award points depending on how many badges a team's collected in game, or how many members finished their save. But, we might also award points based on the "quality" of the sacrificed Pokémon (do they fit with what Marowak or Decidueye stand for? what's their level? how important were they for your team?) for example.
    Sounds cool, I suggest adding a small "Finish the save without sacrificing any Pokémon" achievement so there's prize for those who don't want to make the game easier.

Years
    Very sorry I'm posting here just now, I also shall be quick bc I don't have much time today, but I'm liking the idea ♥

However, I am also agreeing with Aaron about the Baton Pass thing and how nice it was to see such teamwork in a Challenge event! The GT is the perfect moment to have team-focused challenges after all. And so, I've been thinking about how to add that aspect into what we've already got going on. Not easy I'll admit, I drew blanks quite often, but here's a few ideas~

- Now, something I talked about in the discord was adding a team wide dupes clause on the sacrificed Pokémon. Either that or something to that effect to limit how many Bidoof and Zubat you can submit. This might not be needed per sé if we are very specific about which Pokémon needs to be sacrificed (for example, it needs to have the ability X, or needs to be a rare encounter)... but it's a possibility.

- To balance that out and increase teamwork, maybe we could have that... Pokémon can be sacrificed both for your own and your teammates' rules. Personally, I'd love to see a challenge that makes you really consider high-risk-high-reward decisions: if you're that kind of person and you wanna sacrifice like 5 Pokémon for every gym you beat, so that you can at least help out your team, why take that possibility away, right?

In order to make this work I think we would need to have either tiered rules (each Pokémon you sacrifice makes the rule a bit less harsh but you need to sacrifice at least 3 or 4 Pokémon to get rid of it entirely) or... a lot of rules, which is probably the least feasible option. Either way, that would leave a lot of opportunities for sacrifices to be made!

- I've been considering having something like a hard limit on how many Pokémon a person can catch, but that feels a bit harsh to implement. If the dupes clause + all the tiered rules can already allow for diversity with the sacrifices, and the points make it more enticing to get rid of Pokémon you are actually using and training as opposed to the first thing you catch, then we should be good, right?

I'm here for any feedback of course ♥
    As I said on Discord, I love most of these points, but would make it even harder in one regard: Players can only sacrifice Pokémon that beat a Pokémon during a gym battle. This way, no one can start the battle with level 5 Pidgey, then switch it out on the first turn and claim it did participate in the battle. This will also put another challenge on a player. Gym Leaders have limited number of Pokémon. So the player will have to think about their choices more. I'm aware it will benefit some gens (Kalos' Gym Leaders have a small number of Pokémon) and Alola would be hard to figure out, but I still think it's better than sacrificing 5 Pokémon, who were only switched in and out and did nothing in the battle.

For a tiered rules: I had an idea to hide the fact that they are tiered from the players and let them figure that out.

Also what do you think about theming sets of rules based on RPG classes? If you're okay with that, I have few drafts ready.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    As I said on Discord, I love most of these points, but would make it even harder in one regard: Players can only sacrifice Pokémon that beat a Pokémon during a gym battle. This way, no one can start the battle with level 5 Pidgey, then switch it out on the first turn and claim it did participate in the battle. This will also put another challenge on a player. Gym Leaders have limited number of Pokémon. So the player will have to think about their choices more. I'm aware it will benefit some gens (Kalos' Gym Leaders have a small number of Pokémon) and Alola would be hard to figure out, but I still think it's better than sacrificing 5 Pokémon, who were only switched in and out and did nothing in the battle.

For a tiered rules: I had an idea to hide the fact that they are tiered from the players and let them figure that out.

Also what do you think about theming sets of rules based on RPG classes? If you're okay with that, I have few drafts ready.

I like the idea, it works very well with the theme of "sacrifice your worthy Pokémon to the deities" and it could (at least) make for some interesting plays if someone really wants to sacrifice a specific Pokémon, regardless of how strong it is~ I'm not sure how to balance this out for the different gens but hopefully it's not too bad of an issue ♥ and by the way, I'm fine with RPG classes being used for trainers!

"finish the save without sacrificing any Pokémon" as a separate achievement might even work fine but if we do go for the "you can sacrifice Pokémon for your teammates" then it may not hold as much value as before... :thinkrem:

Years
    +1 to sacrificing a Pokemon that has defeated another in a gym battle (or a rival battle/antagonist battle maybe to spread things out a bit more?). Major battles basically.

Also +1 to being able to sacrifice mon to benefit your teammates instead of yourself if you choose. That's nice.

Years
    Okay, here it is. I'm on mobile, so there is almost no formating yet, but I hope the rules make sense this way.

Work in progress. I'm opened to any criticism. Loomie, feel free to edit in anything you want.

Fighter
    Trusted sword
    1. You can only use Fighting-type Pokémon or your Starter. Sacrifice level 12 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Fighting and Steel-type Pokémon. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon and Steel-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use Fighting, Steel and pure Normal-type Pokémon. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon and Steel-type Pokémon on levels 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    Close combat master
    1. You can only use Physical moves that make contact. Sacrifice level 15 or higher Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Physical moves that make contact, and Status moves. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use Physical and Status moves. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher and a Black Belt/Fist Plate/Fighting Gem item to get rid of this rule.
    Military training
    1. You can't use TMs. Sacrifice a Pokémon that can learn Brick Break via TM to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use TMs that teach Fighting-type moves. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon that knows at least 1 moves taught via TM to get rid of this rule.
    Ultimate warrior
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless you beat at least 50 trainers on the map and beat everyone on Victory Road. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Rogue
    Daggers
    1. You can't use moves with over 40 Power. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 12 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can't use moves with over 60 Power. Sacrifice a Dark-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can't use moves with over 80 Power. Sacrifice Pokémon on level 30 or higher that can have Technician, Pickup, Quick Feet, Run Away, Cheek Pouch, Keen Eye or Pickpocket ability to get rid of this rule.

Unfair advantage
    1. All of your Pokémon must know a move that inflicts a negative status on your opponent. Sacrifice a Pokémon that can inflict at least 1 negative status to get rid of this rule.
    2. At least 3 Pokémon on your team must know a a move that inflicts a negative status on your opponent. Sacrifice a Dark-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher that can inflict at least 1 negative status to get rid of this rule.
    3. At least 1 Pokémon on your team must know a a move that inflicts a negative status on your opponent. Sacrifice a Dark-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher that can inflict at least 2 negative status to get rid of this rule.

Strike from shadows
    1. All of your Pokémon must know a priority move as soon as possible. You must start each battle with a priority move. Sacrifice a Pokémon that knows any move with +1 priority or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only Pokémon that can learn priority move. You must start each battle with a priority move. Sacrifice Pokémon on level 35 or higher that knows at least 1 +2 priority or higher move to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate thief
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless you find at least 20 hidden items on the map. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Druid
    One with nature
    1. You can only use Grass-type and pure Normal-type Pokémon. Sacrifice a Grass-type Pokémon on level 10 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Grass, Water-type and pure Normal-type Pokémon. Sacrifice a Grass-type Pokémon and a Water-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use Grass, Water, Fire-type and Normal-type Pokémon. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon, including a Grass-type Pokémon, a Water-type Pokémon or a Fire-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.

Seeds of future
    1. You can't use healing items, aside from berries. Your Pokémon can only hold berries. You have to put Pokémon that can have Pickup as their ability on your team. Sacrifice a Pokémon holding a berry to get rid of this rule.
    2. Your Pokémon can only hold berries. You have to put Pokémon that can have Pickup as their ability on your team. Sacrifice a Water-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    3. Your Pokémon can only hold berries. Sacrifice a Water-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher and 10 berries to get rid of this rule.

Balance - will probably need a better wording. The idea is: If the player has Grass and Normal-types on their team, they have to have 1 Grass and 1 Normal-type or 2 Grass and 2 Normal-types...
    1. You must have an equal number of Pokémon of each type you currently use on your team. Sacrifice a dual-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    2. You must have an equal number of Pokémon of each type you currently use on your team, excluding secondary types. Sacrifice a Grass-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate druid
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless you feed your Pokémon 50 berries. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Paladin
    The Cause of Righteousness
    1. You can only use Pokémon that can learn Protect, Detect, King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Baneful Bunker or Obstruct. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 10 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.
    2. You must have at least 3 Pokémon that can learn Protect, Detect, King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Baneful Bunker or Obstruct on your team. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 20 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.
    3. You must have a Pokémon that can learn Protect, Detect, King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Baneful Bunker or Obstruct on your team. Sacrifice at least 2 arbitary Pokémon (at once) for other player to get rid of this rule.

Divine warrior - fighting and psychic types
    1. You can only use Fighting-type Pokémon or your Starter. Sacrifice level 12 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Fighting and Psychic-type Pokémon. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon and Psychic-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use Fighting, Psychic and pure Normal-type Pokémon. Sacrifice Fighting-type Pokémon and Psychic-type Pokémon on levels 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Lay on Hands - healing moves
    1. You can only use non-damaging healing moves to heal in battle. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 15 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use healing moves to heal in battle. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 30 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate paladin
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless you sacrifice at least 5 Pokémon for other players. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Barbarian
    Rage
    1. You can only use damaging moves with highest Power on each Pokémon. Sacrifice a Pokémon that knows a move with at least 70 Power to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use 2 damaging moves with highest Power on each Pokémon. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon that know a move with at least 80 Power to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use damaging moves with at least 80 Power. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 25 or higher that knows a move with at least 100 Power to get rid of this rule.

Berserker
    1. Battle on Set. You can't switch between Pokémon during battle. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 12 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. Battle on Set. You may switch between Pokémon once during battle. Sacrifice a Fighting-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    3. Battle on Set. Sacrifice Pokémon on level 30 or higher that can have Iron Fist, No Guard, Steadfast, Guts, Anger Point, Defiant or Vital Spirit ability to get rid of this rule.

Battle frenzy
    1. You can't use any status moves. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 20 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use status moves that increase Attack and/or Special Attack. Sacrifice a Steel-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate barbarian
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless all of your Pokémon know a move with over 100 Power. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Cleric
    The Healer
    1. All of your Pokémon must know a non-damaging healing move as soon as possible. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 12 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. At least 3 Pokémon on your team must know a non-damaging healing move as soon as possible. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon that know a non-damaging healing move to get rid of this rule.
    3. At least 1 Pokémon on your team must know a non-damaging healing move as soon as possible. Sacrifice Pokémon on level 30 or higher that can have Healer, Serene Grace, Regenerator, Natural Cure or Friend Guard ability to get rid of this rule.

The Warrior
    1. All of your Pokémon must know a Fighting or Psychic-type damaging move as soon as possible. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 10 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.
    2. At least 3 Pokémon on your team must know a Fighting or Psychic-type damaging move as soon as possible. Sacrifice a arbitary Pokémon at level 20 or higher for other player to get rid of this rule.
    3. At least 1 Pokémon on your team must know a Fighting or Psychic-type damaging move as soon as possible. Sacrifice at least 2 arbitary Pokémon (at once) for other player to get rid of this rule.

Divine agent
    1. Pick one type. You can's sacrifice Pokémon of that type, but they are immune to The Healer rules. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 20 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. Pick one type. You can's sacrifice Pokémon of that type, but they are immune to The Healer and The Warrior rules. Sacrifice a Psychic-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate cleric
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless all of your Pokémon know a non-damaging healing move. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Ranger
    Natural learner
    1. You can't use TMs. Sacrifice a Pokémon that can learn Pin Missile to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use TMs that teach Bug-type moves. Sacrifice Bug-type Pokémon that knows at least 1 moves taught via TM to get rid of this rule.
      You can only use TMs that teach Bug-type and Grass-type moves. Sacrifice a Pokémon that knows at least 2 moves taught via TM to get rid of this rule.

Live Off the Land
    1. You can't purchase any items inside Pokémon Centers, PokéMarts, or Department Stores except Poké Balls. Sacrifice a Grass-type Pokémon at level 10 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can't purchase any items inside Pokémon Centers, PokéMarts, or Department Stores except Poké Balls and Potions. Sacrifice a Grass-type and Bug-type Pokémon to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can't purchase any items inside Pokémon Centers, PokéMarts, or Department Stores except Poké Balls, Potions, and Status Heals. Sacrifice a Grass-type Pokémon on level 25 or higher holding an item to get rid of this rule.

Animal Companion
    1. Pick one Pokémon. You can't sacrifice that Pokémon and you can only use it and your starter in every Gym Battle/Trial. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 20 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. Pick two different Pokémon. You can't sacrifice these Pokémon and you can only use them in every Gym Battle/Trial. Sacrifice your entire inventory, as well as anything being held to get rid of this rule.

Ultimate ranger
    1. You can't challenge E4 unless all of your Pokémon battled in at least 4 Gym Battles/Trials. Sacrifice your Starter on level 50 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Work in progress
    Wizard
    Knowledge is power
    1. You have to use every TM you get on your Pokémon. You can't use any move that your Pokémon didn't learn via TM. Sacrifice a Pokémon that knows at least 2 moves taught via TM to get rid of this rule.
    2. You have to use every TM you get on your Pokémon. Your Pokémon can use any move they can learn via TMs. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon that knows at least 2 moves taught via TM to get rid of this rule.

Sorcerer
    Dragon heritage
    1. You can only use Dragon-type Pokémon or Starter. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 15 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Dragon-type Pokémon or dragon-like Pokémon that can learn a Dragon-type move. Sacrifice Dragon-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.
    3. You can only use Dragon-type Pokémon or dragon-like Pokémon that can learn a Dragon-type move. Sacrifice 2 Dragon-type or dragon-like Pokémon on level 35 or higher to get rid of this rule.

The art of magic
    1. You can only use Special moves. Sacrifice a Pokémon on level 15 that knows only Special and Status moves to get rid of this rule.
    2. You can only use Special and Status moves. Sacrifice 2 Psychic-type Pokémon on level 30 or higher to get rid of this rule.

Bard
    Monk
    Warlock
    Will add more later

Last edited:
    Years
    Ok so... I really like the idea of doing things based on the classes. I do worry a bit though that some of the challenges are going to be almost outright impossible. I'm unsure on essentially sacrificing your starter just to unlock most of them.

Others seem too specific - releasing a Pokémon with Technician for example, or having to find a +2 priority move (I believe that ExtremeSpeed is actually the only really viable option here).

I think a combination of what you have both mentioned would be good. I think having specific "class" rulesets is a nice touch, but I think perhapsthe sacrifice conditions can be a little more generic. Maybe even give one of two options? Also, can players choose to satisfy the last rule and remove all of them at once?

An example:

Rogue - Rule 1 - You can only use moves with a base power of 40 or less. Sacrifice either a Pokémon that CAN have Technician as an ability OR sacrifice Pokémon with a combined Speed stat of 60 or more.
    Rogue - Rule 2 - You can only use moves with a base power of 60 or less. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon that have a priority move OR sacrifice a Dark-type Pokémon that is level 30 or higher.
    Rogue - Rule 3 - You can only use moves with a base power of 80 or less. Sacrifice your Pokémon with the highest Speed stat OR sacrifice 50,000 Pokédollars.

In this example, the sacrifice has been made a little broader so that you aren't spending 5 hours catching a Technician mon, but so that if for example a Fighter then picks up this save and need to get rid of this ASAP they can then choose instead to sacrifice Pokémon with the combined Speed stat so that they aren't potentially locked in any way, or can at least just grind some battles and catch throwaway mons if required. The further conditions I tried to keep different and not all revolved around catching mons.

I think don't put a cap on what people can capture - if you think about it, if someone wants to waste 3 hours catching 10 Pokémon for the sacrifice then... that's their 3 hours to choose to not progress. Which is in a way the beauty of the challenge, you can prepare but that preparation could cost you.

For your other challenges such as Ultimate Thief etc, could this perhaps be achievements as Mewtwolover suggested? If not, still happy with them being other rules too.

Years
    Ok so... I really like the idea of doing things based on the classes. I do worry a bit though that some of the challenges are going to be almost outright impossible. I'm unsure on essentially sacrificing your starter just to unlock most of them.

Others seem too specific - releasing a Pokémon with Technician for example, or having to find a +2 priority move (I believe that ExtremeSpeed is actually the only really viable option here).

I think a combination of what you have both mentioned would be good. I think having specific "class" rulesets is a nice touch, but I think perhapsthe sacrifice conditions can be a little more generic. Maybe even give one of two options? Also, can players choose to satisfy the last rule and remove all of them at once?

An example:

Rogue - Rule 1 - You can only use moves with a base power of 40 or less. Sacrifice either a Pokémon that CAN have Technician as an ability OR sacrifice Pokémon with a combined Speed stat of 60 or more.
    Rogue - Rule 2 - You can only use moves with a base power of 60 or less. Sacrifice 2 Pokémon that have a priority move OR sacrifice a Dark-type Pokémon that is level 30 or higher.
    Rogue - Rule 3 - You can only use moves with a base power of 80 or less. Sacrifice your Pokémon with the highest Speed stat OR sacrifice 50,000 Pokédollars.

In this example, the sacrifice has been made a little broader so that you aren't spending 5 hours catching a Technician mon, but so that if for example a Fighter then picks up this save and need to get rid of this ASAP they can then choose instead to sacrifice Pokémon with the combined Speed stat so that they aren't potentially locked in any way, or can at least just grind some battles and catch throwaway mons if required. The further conditions I tried to keep different and not all revolved around catching mons.

I think don't put a cap on what people can capture - if you think about it, if someone wants to waste 3 hours catching 10 Pokémon for the sacrifice then... that's their 3 hours to choose to not progress. Which is in a way the beauty of the challenge, you can prepare but that preparation could cost you.

For your other challenges such as Ultimate Thief etc, could this perhaps be achievements as Mewtwolover suggested? If not, still happy with them being other rules too.
    Just a small note at the start: Maybe I misunderstood something, but I was making rules with assumption that each player will only use their save file, but can choose to sacrifice their Pokémon to help someone else. I didn't consider swapping save files and thought this event wasn't about that.

Otherwise, the rules will need some balancing. Like the one with +2 priority move. That rule should have said +2 priority or higher to make it more accessible. I like having more generic sacrifices, but I wouldn't add 2 options to every rule. Maybe first sacrifices could be more generic and get harder with each tier. But I would also like to have some rules that can't be cancelled early in the game.

I'll add more rules on Saturday, but feel free to suggest any by yourself.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I wonder if there will be a rule or restriction regarding the exp. share.
    Maybe not make the final elite 4 tasks imposible (or almost impossible) that forces a sacrifice, maybe something hard but not imposible for a short time gameplay like:
    Fighter: defeat maybe around 50 different trainers before the elite 4 or maybe battle all trainers that can be rematched before the elite 4 (like when the pokenav introduced that for 3rd gen games).
    Rogue: maybe find around 30 or 40 hidden items via item finder before the elite 4 but after victory road/final rival battle.

Other possibilities could be complete side quests, side events (pokemon contest, musical, etc. depending on the game version used)

As for in case the event goes the swap or battom pass format like previous year; wouldn't be easier to just battom pass everything, including the class so that people can continue the challenge without getting stuck because the rules of one class blocks the progress of other classes?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Came up with some Rogue, Ranger, and Barbarian ideas for restrictions. Only touched the sacrifice cost for one restriction. May be too harsh all together. Tweak them as needed. Will not be hurt if you have other ideas you wish to use, also. Hopefully inspires a good idea or two, if nothing else.

Rogue
    Burglar
    1. Throw any Pokeball at the start of every trainer battle or Totem fight, starting at the first gym leader battle (or trial).
    2. Throw any Pokeball at the start of any trainer battle inside a gym and trial (including Grand Trials). Also pertains to the enemy team leader and Champion.
    3. Throw any Pokeball at the start of any gym leader battle, enemy team leader battle, and Champion.

Barbarian
    Blinded With Rage
    1. May only use the first move on your Pokemon. Cannot change move order during battle.
    2. May only use the first two moves on your Pokemon. Cannot change move order during battle.
    3. May only use the first three moves on your Pokemon. Cannot change move order during battle.

Berserker
    1. Battle on Set. Cannot switch between Pokemon during battle.
    2. Battle on Set. May switch between Pokemon once during battle.
    3. Battle on Set.

Attack Attack Attack
    1. Cannot use any status moves.
    2. May only use status moves that increase Attack and/or Special Attack.
    3. May only use status moves that increase Attack, Special Attack, and/or Speed.

Ranger

Strong Bond
    Imposes this restriction before challenging your second gym leader battle (or first Grand Trial). Upon reaching that point, designate one Pokemon that is not your starter as your "companion". Cannot change this decision after making it. Cannot sacrifice a companion.
    1. Cannot use any Pokemon besides your companion and your starter in battle. Sacrifice your starter to remove this rule. Designate two more Pokemon as companions upon removing this rule.
    2. Cannot use any Pokemon besides your companions in battle. Sacrifice 20 unique items to remove this rule. Designate another Pokemon as a companion upon removing this rule.
    3. Cannot use any Pokemon besides your companions in battle. Sell your entire inventory, as well as anything being held, to remove this rule. Cannot be removed until after your fifth gym leader battle or second Grand Trial.

Live Off the Land
    1. Cannot purchase any items except Pokeballs.
    2. Cannot purchase any items inside Pokemon Centers, Pokemarts, or Department Stores except Pokeballs, Potions, and status heals.
    3. Cannot purchase any items inside Department Stores.

New Tricks
    1. Cannot use Technical Machines or Records. Cannot let your Pokemon hold items.
    2. Cannot use Technical Machines or Records. May only let Pokemon hold berries or Leftovers.
    3. Cannot use Technical Machines or Records.

Years
    I really like Devalue's suggestions.

Edit: Also, just as a reminder, don't forget to add to the scheduling thread. Please also drop your Discord info here so we can make sure you have access to the EO channel.

Last edited:
    Back