• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] GT Challenge

Years
    Have just read through the event CSS and I really like how we've gone about the sacrifice idea, I like the ability to collaborate and remove each other's rules!

Is there a definitive list of the rules to be able to review before we go live?

Years
    Have just read through the event CSS and I really like how we've gone about the sacrifice idea, I like the ability to collaborate and remove each other's rules!

I'm still working on the list, but up-to-date version is in my original post. Sorry it takes so long, but I've been appointed to take care of new UK students at our university and it's been taking quite a lot of my free time.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024

Question! Would it be better to have a spreadsheet on Google docs where we can just put rules and such? I was working on something like this for ease of sorting them out and I can share it with you all if you want~

I have to say one thing though, I'm not really keen on sacrificing 2 Pokémon at a time no matter what, because of the likely dupes restriction and because of the Pokémon needing to be "worthy" to begin with. I'd rather make the requirements a bit tighter in different ways or making them more specific. Meanwhile, when it comes to rules, I'm trying to drive players towards a certain playstyle more than anything (switch a lot, attack a lot, use only slow Pokémon... those are just examples): hopefully that should be a good way to approach this <3

For the final post, I still feel like I need to add 2 things: the player board (which I can lift from last year's stuff probably) and a section with the points we'll distribute. I'll see if I can make a second sheet in the file above where I can list off how we'll give points, but I'm thinking about... going mostly by Pokémon sacrificed per team, with some bonuses here and there, rather than just games completed. That's still up for debate though!

As for how to track points during the challenge and not lose sacrifices here and there, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to enlist maybe one representative per team who can help with that. If Janp and I end up in opposing teams then it would be us, no problem, but if we are on the same team, maybe having someone else on our opponents' team could be nice~

And that's my current thoughts on this... sorry I'm not that coherent or anything ^^;

Years
    I have to say one thing though, I'm not really keen on sacrificing 2 Pokémon at a time no matter what, because of the likely dupes restriction and because of the Pokémon needing to be "worthy" to begin with. I'd rather make the requirements a bit tighter in different ways or making them more specific.
    We could do something about it. I'm a little bit dry on ideas tho, so if you have any, edit them in in my post.

Meanwhile, when it comes to rules, I'm trying to drive players towards a certain playstyle more than anything (switch a lot, attack a lot, use only slow Pokémon... those are just examples): hopefully that should be a good way to approach this <3
    I had the same approach. But now that I look at the rules, I didn't really use stats in the rules. Maybe that could be the thing to replace "2 Pokémon sacrifice" with.

Years
    Question! Would it be better to have a spreadsheet on Google docs where we can just put rules and such? I was working on something like this for ease of sorting them out and I can share it with you all if you want~

I have to say one thing though, I'm not really keen on sacrificing 2 Pokémon at a time no matter what, because of the likely dupes restriction and because of the Pokémon needing to be "worthy" to begin with. I'd rather make the requirements a bit tighter in different ways or making them more specific. Meanwhile, when it comes to rules, I'm trying to drive players towards a certain playstyle more than anything (switch a lot, attack a lot, use only slow Pokémon... those are just examples): hopefully that should be a good way to approach this <3

For the final post, I still feel like I need to add 2 things: the player board (which I can lift from last year's stuff probably) and a section with the points we'll distribute. I'll see if I can make a second sheet in the file above where I can list off how we'll give points, but I'm thinking about... going mostly by Pokémon sacrificed per team, with some bonuses here and there, rather than just games completed. That's still up for debate though!

As for how to track points during the challenge and not lose sacrifices here and there, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to enlist maybe one representative per team who can help with that. If Janp and I end up in opposing teams then it would be us, no problem, but if we are on the same team, maybe having someone else on our opponents' team could be nice~

And that's my current thoughts on this... sorry I'm not that coherent or anything ^^;

For the sake of tidiness so your thread isn't just a HUGE post with all that in, I'd advise a spreadsheet for sure or even just some images with them on, could make some cool "character sheets" with each one on, but either of those would suffice yeah.

In terms of saccing 2 pokemon, I'd be happy I think to just do a blanket change and make all instances of 2 to 1.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    More unsolicited ideas/opinions:

Could tighten up sacrificing rules by tacking on a class specific requirement to be worthy. Examples:
    • Rogue: Knock out an opposing Pokemon with Poison, Burn, weather effects, or entry hazards.
    • Barbarian: Defeat a Pokemon in a single blow.
    • Druid: Consume a held berry on that Pokemon. (Makes it impossible for Generation 1, though.)
    • Paladin and Cleric: Defeat an enemy Pokemon while at full health.
    • Warlock: Defeat an enemy Pokemon while in red health. (Alternative: Inflict status conditions on at least two enemy Pokemon.)
    • Fighter: Use all of a Pokemon's moves once during the battle.
    • Wizard: Must share height, weight, or color with the knocked out Pokemon.
    May be needlessly complex, though. Deals with a fair number of rules already, particularly at the start.

Agrees on multiple sacrifices being a bad idea with dupes clause. Becomes difficult to complete type-restricted classes on older games. Worries about some being stuck with their starter for the first few gyms, in a challenge all about sacrificing Pokemon. Never delved too deep in type placements by game, though.

Likes the idea of teamwide achievements, also.

Edit: Idle thought, not necessarily a good one. Is this challenge better reversed? Earns Get-Together points by sacrificing Pokemon. Takes on harder and harder rulesets for each sacrifice. Solves the problem of frontloading too many restrictions. Loses the teamwork element, however. Could implement multi-player sacrifices for more points (with fierce restrictions to match), if so desired. May be too late to act on an idea like this, even if good.

Last edited:
    Years
    Agree with Aaron on making a blanket all sacrifices are just a single mon. I also think using a spreadsheet would be tidier and more efficient.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    Sorry I'm late but the spreadsheet is available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuhjkpZOe44Td6wFFFxgFYQpsd2-DyDACYmPnArnmkg/edit?usp=sharing and... if I set it up correctly anyone with the link should be able to leave some comments! I could probably work a lot more classes in here and I still have some suggestions / ideas from this thread to add in there but I've had a pretty busy week and tomorrow is looking extremely packed as well so... yeah let's hope that at least Saturday can be fully dedicated to this :')
    As bad as I feel for having rushed parts of this and being pretty late overall, I'm very, very hyped for this challenge and I have high hopes for it! Hopefully it will be at least... able to keep up with the save swap of last time haha!

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    GT 2022 Player board:

Divine Offering
    PLAYER BOARD

Guerreros: 0
    Arqueros: 0

Player Info

[tab=close]
      ❌ Close​
      [/tab]
      🦴 GUERREROS
      [tab=el]Eleanor[/tab] •

🌹 ARQUEROS
      [tab=Janp]Janp[/tab] •

Click on a name to see their information!

Eleanor

Rules shall appear here!

Janp

Rules shall appear here!

So yeah, there's that ready ♥ I'm hoping to keep at it with the rules and work on some more suggestions even if it's getting hard (because you know, using mechanics that are only in newer gens is not really desirable) but I'd like to reach at least 20-25 classes. Also because there's some that were hinted at (ex. Monk) who remained without representation ^^;
    Oh, and I've added more stuff to the OP in the meantime! Hopefully that's ok!

Back