• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gym & Gym Leaders Discussion

Which gym leader do you like better?

• Atei

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Kamitsure

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Yakon

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Furou

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Hachiku

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Iris (White)

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Shaga (Black)

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Dento, Poddo or Koon

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Aloe

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I think Mr John Marston as I will refer the Ground type leader as forever will have Doryuuzu as his main Pokemon as its badass and is going on my team xD and my Steel "Gym" Team

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    We kinda know all that... :/

It was posted today and I only put it in here because it was relevant to the thread. I didn't even know this thread existed until I decided to check to be sure.

@guys debating color: Dragon is a Purpleish blue color on the typing chart. The image I found is just dark.

crystal286

Awesome Type Trainer
    Years
    um... if someone already said this but someone didin't notice that some guy said this I'll say it. Go onto pokebeach.com! They just revealed the new isshu gym leaders! And on some other websites too. So... yeah... the last gym leader is a dragon type like in the jhoto.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    But then the anime creator's would have to give her a different starter Pokemon to Kibago.

I knew she was Dragon when the picture was first released... I really wasn't expecting the 8th Gym leader to be Iris .0. Im pretty sure someone said that she doesn't have a big part in the game xD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I am quite surprised that we got a 10 year old (that's how old I think Iris is as almost every main character girl ash travels with recently has been 10...) as our all mighty gym leader :)
    also we have the same last two gym leaders as gen 2...lol imagine if the second gym leader of Isshu had been that bug gym leader instead of Aloe people would be saying they are coping Johto's gym's again :P

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I hope Iris is new to the whole thing kinda like Flannery was but less crap.

Iris hopefully shall get the 3 headed hydra Dragon <3

Something got me thinking :/

I think Iris' catches a Tsutarja in the anime. So if Tsutsy's final evolution is Grass/Dragon she may use that :O

Last edited:

Years
    I hope Iris is new to the whole thing kinda like Flannery was but less crap.

Iris hopefully shall get the 3 headed hydra Dragon <3
    You mean new to the gym group, hey Flannery was hard in the rematches...
    Well she might have it she would become the first non Champ or E4 member to have a pseudo legendary before post National Pokedex :)

lucaspontes

One of Them
    Years
    Hm... that makes me think about that guy next to Iris on the game trailer. Maybe he is in charge of the gym while Iris is out?

EDIT: Just something minor I noticed... if you go to Serebii pre-release picture page, the penultimate picture says "Dento, Poddo & Corn"... Isn't his name Koon? O.o

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    My theory regarding Iris:

After beating all 7 gyms, you go to see Iris but she isn't there. Instead, you find Team Plasma trying to steal some sort of plans. You find out that Iris is in either White Forest or Black City, then you go there, leaving Team Plasma unattended. Iris is in that location watching the sky change (which goes to the cutscene of Reshiram/Zekrom) and she tells you that after 50 years Reshiram/Zekrom have been awakened. The only way to stop them is to battle one each. She gets the other version exclusive, you get your version exclusive. After battling or catching, order appears to be restored, but then you see the sky change to a dark colour and then everything starts to freeze as Team Plasma shows up - proud of their third dragon, which is meant to freeze back to the ice age or something, back when the three dragons lived in peace. The other version exclusive appears, after being beaten by Iris and then attacks all of you. Team Plasma catches it, and you need to battle it (so you can't catch it). When you beat it, order is soon restored and Team Plasma retreats. Thennn, Iris declares you're worthy enough to battle her dragons after seeing how good you were against those ones. Oh and the fossil scene shown with Iris/someone else is where you get the third dragon.

And yeah, that's my theory. :D;

Years
    My theory regarding Iris:

After beating all 7 gyms, you go to see Iris but she isn't there. Instead, you find Team Plasma trying to steal some sort of plans. You find out that Iris is in either White Forest or Black City, then you go there, leaving Team Plasma unattended. Iris is in that location watching the sky change (which goes to the cutscene of Reshiram/Zekrom) and she tells you that after 50 years Reshiram/Zekrom have been awakened. The only way to stop them is to battle one each. She gets the other version exclusive, you get your version exclusive. After battling or catching, order appears to be restored, but then you see the sky change to a dark colour and then everything starts to freeze as Team Plasma shows up - proud of their third dragon, which is meant to freeze back to the ice age or something, back when the three dragons lived in peace. The other version exclusive appears, after being beaten by Iris and then attacks all of you. Team Plasma catches it, and you need to battle it (so you can't catch it). When you beat it, order is soon restored and Team Plasma retreats. Thennn, Iris declares you're worthy enough to battle her dragons after seeing how good you were against those ones. Oh and the fossil scene shown with Iris/someone else is where you get the third dragon.

And yeah, that's my theory. :D;

Thumbs up for that theory, fool. ;)

EDIT: And does anyone else find it strange that you go through the main storyline of capturing/defeating the legendary and evil team BEFORE beating all of the gym leaders? I always hated how you'd go through the whole 'alternate world' in Platinum, defeat/capture Giratina, only to have to go straight back to the normal gameplay of defeating the rest of the gym leaders. It makes it seem like you encountering the legendary and evil team never happened. I wish they could make it that you go through the 8 gyms, and then you encounter the legendary and defeat the evil team. But maybe that's just me... :B

Last edited:
    Years
    I like the types used for this region in the gyms, good to have another Dragon gym. I was shocked that Iris is actually a gym leader, the last one at that.

Can't wait to battle them!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    She does? But you can't even see her whole face. :P Either way though, I wouldn't mind. I loved Cynthia, so a character resemblance wouldn't be a problem for me.
    Gym & Gym Leaders Discussion

She reminds me of Cynthia with her black and yellow look; the hair almost looks similar with the eye position as well if you take a close look at her.

I am quite surprised that we got a 10 year old (that's how old I think Iris is as almost every main character girl ash travels with recently has been 10...) as our all mighty gym leader :)
    also we have the same last two gym leaders as gen 2...lol imagine if the second gym leader of Isshu had been that bug gym leader instead of Aloe people would be saying they are coping Johto's gym's again :P

We've had previous young Gym Leaders in the past such as the twins Tate and Liza. Except this would be our first 8th Gym Leader that is young, yes. :)
    Out of all the possibilities for Dragon types Iris will have, I hope her team will be in both the fittings of strength (as she is the 8th gym) but still have the pokémon designs or abilities suit her really well as her nature seems to be a wild and adventurous type.

Iris came as surprise, and I guess whatever source decided she would be an anime-only character, was wrong. Though this is still remaining unconfirmed as serebii stated, I wouldn't mind this being real. It seems believable enough and the characters suit their typing. I can't wait to see each of their full team for more opinions although it's likely we won't get to know until the short wait; 3 days. ;>

The Red Chain

I am really wanting Iris to have the 3-headed hydra and Ononokusu. That would rock my world. A young girl with immensely powerful beasts? Now that is beyond awesome! <3 Something about someone so small with such huge Pokemon is just amazing to me, like Jasmine and her Steelix. I would look up to Iris as a character from then on if she had those two dragons, or at least one of them.

...This is making me connect Ononokusu and Kibago as evolutions even more. :x

Years

She reminds me of Cynthia with her black and yellow look; the hair almost looks similar with the eye position as well if you take a close look at her.

We've had previous young Gym Leaders in the past such as the twins Tate and Liza. Except this would be our first 8th Gym Leader that is young, yes. :)
    Out of all the possibilities for Dragon types Iris will have, I hope her team will be in both the fittings of strength (as she is the 8th gym) but still have the pokémon designs or abilities suit her really well as her nature seems to be a wild and adventurous type.

Iris came as surprise, and I guess whatever source decided she would be an anime-only character, was wrong. Though this is still remaining unconfirmed as serebii stated, I wouldn't mind this being real. It seems believable enough and the characters suit their typing. I can't wait to see each of their full team for more opinions although it's likely we won't get to know until the short wait; 3 days. ;>
    How old were Liza and Tate anyways? for some reason I think Iris is the youngest gym leader yet...

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
    Well, should it really be that surprising that we have Gym leader so young? I mean, in every Pokemon game, you are just a kid, and yet you manage to take down an evil organization, save the world from peril, capture Pokemon of legend, and become the Champion... Being a Gym leader sounds pretty lame in comparison.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I'm thinking Iris is new to pokemon and because the town had no pokemon trainers as they all went on their pokemon journey, so Iris was given a few dragons and became leader. Just like Flannery :|.

Back