• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leader/Elite Four Specialties that AREN'T Pokemon typings

Years
  • i've always thought that the main games really limit themselves with how they only ever make Gym Leaders/Elite Four specialize in typings. there have been a couple romhacks here and there that break the mold by making Leaders specialize in 2 types instead of just one, but i kinda wanna see something even bolder.

one idea i've had is cut the Gym Leaders down to 6 and have each of them specialize in one specific Stat - Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, & HP. could result in these leaders being very well differentiated by their battle style, and allow them to have a much more diverse party.

anyone else have any themes/ideas?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Raihan had a thing going with weather.

Plus, Pokémon can form all sorts of motifs and themes. Things like Egg Groups, body types, and even specific aesthetic attributes (such as colors) can make for diverse yet cohesive teams.

Years
    • Seen today
    I agree. I guess main games still limit themselves to type-based gyms because that's the easiest way to introduce newcomers to the type chart. I'm surprised that most rom hacks / fan-games that are clearly not for beginners also stick with this formula.

I'd honestly prefer gym leaders being based on themes, egg groups (similar to types but less predictable), environments, etc. For example you can have a gym leader who for whatever story reason is obsessed with the moon, so he/she has all Pokémon that are related to the moon, like Umbreon, Clefable, Lunatone, and Musharna. Or a gym leader who is the descendant of a tribe that protects an ancient tree that lives deep in the jungle, and uses Pokémon that you could find in a jungle.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • Here's some ideas that I have for theme teams.

Native American: Braviary, Bouffalant, Sigilyph, Bibarel, Xatu
    Paleontologist: Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Archeops, Carracosta, Bastiodon, Rampardos, Armaldo, Cradily, Aerodactyl, Kabutops, Omastar
    Astronomist: Minior, Beheeyem, Solrock, Lunatone, Clefable
    Inverse battles
    Archaeologist/Egyptologist: Cofagrigus, Krookodile, Lucario, Talonflame, Runerigus, Arbok
    Chess: Bisharp, Escavalier, Bastiodon
    Spooky: Corviknight, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Chandelure, Honchkrow, Crobat, Noctowl, Ariados, Gengar
    Food: Alcremie, Polteageist, Appletun, Flapple, Slurpuff, Vanilluxe, Cherrim
    Inanimate objects: Palossand, Dhelmise, Aegislash, Klefki, Klinklang, Cryogonal, Magnezone, Bronzong, Chimecho, Electrode
    Team comprised of Eevee evolutions

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Me, probably weather or terrain since not only 1 type can advantage from weather/terain. Like rain, there could be Kingdra that can abuse the rain with Swift Swim ability and probably something like Zapdos or Lanturn which can fire off powerful accurate Thunders.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • One of the things that stuck out to me once was on a Fan Game that had an Elite Four that was themed on colours instead of typing (not sure if I can say the game or not xD) and I think that was really cool. GameFreak really should switch it up a little, even if its just for one Gym or something.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    How about a sort of rivalry theme?

To be a little bit more specific: think of the two gyms in Saffron City.
    The fighting gym was there first but was taken care of by Sabrina and her upcoming gym. What makes this more apparent is that her Pokemon were super effective against the old gym.

This could be expanded a little bit more: have two gyms and the player can choose either to get the badge. You can make these theme based instead of types to balance things out. That way you can create a sort of stalemate between the two (as opposed to the curb stomp in Saffron City). Anything can be a theme as long as it's opposing forces where one doesn't outright have an advantage (or maybe the same but with a different interpretation. Like having the same type but one uses only physical moves while the other only special).
    And while one gym gives you a badge the other can still be of some other purpose. Be that as an optional "dungeon" for more experience or a price, or maybe even as a story element.

Years
  • GameFreak really should switch it up a little, even if its just for one Gym or something.

the one gym i remember then mixing things up was Blue's. was refreshing to see a full party of his OG team come back as the final badge to obtain before Red.

and i'm really loving reading through the ideas in this thread!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think the type limitation should have been scrapped even back in Gen I.

Like, when they had "Dragon Trainer" Lance be actually a Flying type trainer and "Ghost Trainer" Agatha be actually a Poison type trainer, they should have figure out that hey, maybe type isn't the best idea.

I do agree that maybe themes are a better idea than types as there are a lot, here are some possibilities:
    - Egg Groups
    - Colors
    - Two Types (think Double Battle gym a la Tate and Liza)
    - "Biological" Group
    - Body Shape
    - Size
    - Battle Styles in general (Stall, Hyper Offense, Balanced, Hazards, Trick Room, Weather, Terrains)
    - Stats (e.g.: all mons focus on attack, special attack, defense, HP or speed)
    - Synergy (all Pokémon types chain like Grass/Ground -> Ground/Flying -> Flying/Normal -> Normal/Psychic)
    - Sound moves
    - Dance moves

Heck, Gym Leaders could even have special rules / terrain that benefit them and make the trainer experience harder. Kind of like Opal's quiz thingy that will give you a buff or a debuff depending on your answer.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    In the ORAS remakes, I believe Norma's gym personnel use items that increase or decrease accuracy, evasiveness, or other stats depending on if you answer their question correctly. This concept would be interesting to see developed, and it can make for cool strategies based on how you do during your run. I'd love for the 7th gym leader to be similar to Blue, where they don't have a specific typing and use competitive strategies to stop you from going to the league.

Years
  • In the ORAS remakes, I believe Norma's gym personnel use items that increase or decrease accuracy, evasiveness, or other stats depending on if you answer their question correctly. This concept would be interesting to see developed, and it can make for cool strategies based on how you do during your run. I'd love for the 7th gym leader to be similar to Blue, where they don't have a specific typing and use competitive strategies to stop you from going to the league.

This was unique and I miss it!

Yeah, would love to see some variety other than just types. I know it's classic Pokémon and Game Freak/TPCI doesn't care to break the mold for the most part when it sells so well, but multi types or strategies would be really cool. Color-based teams would be really cool. :(

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    i've always thought that the main games really limit themselves with how they only ever make Gym Leaders/Elite Four specialize in typings. there have been a couple romhacks here and there that break the mold by making Leaders specialize in 2 types instead of just one, but i kinda wanna see something even bolder.

one idea i've had is cut the Gym Leaders down to 6 and have each of them specialize in one specific Stat - Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, & HP. could result in these leaders being very well differentiated by their battle style, and allow them to have a much more diverse party.

anyone else have any themes/ideas?

I think that weathers would be perfect for the elite four, weather teams are highly competitive which makes them a big challenge, not to mention there's four main weathers in battle: hail/snow, sandstorm, rain and harsh sun.

Years
  • I think that weathers would be perfect for the elite four, weather teams are highly competitive which makes them a big challenge, not to mention there's four main weathers in battle: hail/snow, sandstorm, rain and harsh sun.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think radical red has already made this somewhat a reality with Lorelei either having a rain/hail team when u face her. it is indeed a fun and difficult challenge.

there's also terrains now, something i'm not too familiar with since i stopped obsessing abt this franchise right around the time that released lol.

Back