• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: [Hack of the Year 2017] - Pokémon Orange (GBC) [Movie 2000 Edition] (Fin)

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
It's been a few days since my last post so I thought I'd show off more scripting progress.

A6NjQJZ.png

The Sightseer from SuMo that Rangi uses for Polished Crystal is in the game (with my own OW and sprite edits). This ones complaining about crossing the Tangelo Jungle.

rnK7n5G.png

New mom sprite. She's reminiscent of Red's mom in terms of dialogue, but hints that she is a very powerful trainer herself.

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
Shame such a promising hack that is miles above the quality of a lot of what passes for a hack these days is getting ignored because gen 2 is so niche here. That said I'm very excited when there is any update for this.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Some nice updates to share with you all. I have successfully added a new tier of fishing rod, tentatively called the MASTER ROD, it will fish up level 50 Pokemon from the deepest parts of waters you decide to cast it in.

Thanks to FIQ's code, I also have double speed in the game now! This is pretty much the beginning of the improved framerate code, so expect some faster gameplay. since Running Shoes aren't in this one and the Skateboard isn't obtainable until Mandarin Island North.

I've successfully ported a MIDI of The 6th ED of the Japanese Anime as the title screen music of Orange. It's still a bit rough around the edges in some parts but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Next is WAV cries, so expect Wingull to sound like an actual Wingull next patch! Also, Gen 6/7 Pikachu cry anyone?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Personally, I'd prefer it if you kept Pikachu's original cry. Same goes for every other Pokemon from Gen 5 and earlier.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Personally, I'd prefer it if you kept Pikachu's original cry. Same goes for every other Pokemon from Gen 5 and earlier.

Had no intention of using the new cries from Gen 6/7. Pikachu is the only one. I wanted to port Yellow's cry over at first but doing it this way it should be much better quality.

It's not like Pikachu being voiced is even a new thing, I'd argue it's even more weird Pikachu doesnt say it's name as its shown in every game trailer, every movie, every piece of Pokemon advertisement, etc.

(the games also a light midquel between Yellow and Crystal, as Jessie and James are in this, so imo it fits that Pikachu retains its anime-esque cry)

Last edited:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
It's going to be good Hack... But I more counting for Ancient Platinum. Since PLATINUM on GBC was going to be something great. Orange Islands... Well... It needs game. But In case of time. RBY is better option for ORANGE ISLANDS in my opinion. <Especialy Yellow>

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
I fail to see how Yellow would have been a better choice than Crystal. Yes the game is just as complete disassembly wise, but that's about it no one has really done anything with or for Yellow. So jumping whole hog into that wouldn't have done Pia any good. Making this on Yellow would have probably taken even more work than it has for Crystal.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Love the "Orangean" Butterfree!
And is that Ratatta in the screens an Alolan Ratatta?

It is. Most alolan Pokemon have been included aside from Vulpix line and Sandshrew line. I think I've added every other one. EDIT: No Meowth or Raichu either, considering Alolan Raichu, though.

Last edited:
Years
Cool! I can see it fitting with the theme of Pokémon with different appearances/traits that exist only in the Orange Islands.
In fact I wonder if Orange Islands was an inspiration for Alola.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Alpha 2 is ready!

You can download it here (fixed)
As usual this is a hack of Pokemon Crystal (USA)

What's available:
3 Islands
1 Gym Badge
Old Rod
1 Trade
Over 50 different Pokemon!

What isn't fixed (yet):
Trainer card (old sprites, needs to be updated completely)
Alolan Pokemon do not have updated movesets (base stats and typing is correct)
TM32 can not be taught to anything yet
Naming screen palette not fixed
Wingull still has Sentret's learnset

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
Good work!

Just a little something I found again; the second gym trainer went over the rocks to battle me.

1K2zY

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Gave the alpha a play. Very nice! Really liked the music and map designs, feels very much like a tropical GSC. Looking forward to playing some more!

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
No, was considering it for Crystal Onix but decided not to to keep Brock and Drake's teams intact.

How are you implementing Crystal Onix? Whatever you're doing to differ it from regular Onix, there are a few routines you can edit to special-case that Onix as a different type (Rock/Ice?). Those are: battle/core.asm: InitBattleMon (where it sets BattleMonType1), InitEnemyMon (where it sets EnemyMonType1), LoadEnemyMon (where it sets EnemyMonType1), and text/types.asm: PrintMonTypes (where it sets BaseType1 via GetBaseData).

Back