• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardcore Pokemon

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    What are your thoughts if there was a "hardcore pokemon" where if your pokemon faints (dies) you lose it forever. Like diablo

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    People sorta do that already with the various Nuzlocke variants. It is self-imposed but there is that.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I thought this is those 'Pokemanz GTA' threads again! {XD} As Nah says so, there's already the Nuzlocke challenge. I found it pointless for the series to introduce something like that. While Pokémon aren't immortals, no Pokémon die from battles in-game, presumably due to ethical reasons as it's a game for all ages, which means children are included.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I suppose the odd thing though is that Pokemon can in fact die in the games, as is shown by the various graveyard sites like Lavender Tower and Mt. Pyre. But yeah, kids really wouldn't like it if their Pokemon really could die in battle in the games. Idk, maybe someone could make a hack or something with the feature in it though.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Due to the popularity of Nuzlockes, I'd say such a thing would be pretty well received! Granted, GameFreak would have to be willing to slap a big "M for Mature" on all their games, and I don't think they'd be willing to do that.

Maybe if they set it up so that when your Pokemon faints, it gets so upset with you it runs away? xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Due to the popularity of Nuzlockes, I'd say such a thing would be pretty well received! Granted, GameFreak would have to be willing to slap a big "M for Mature" on all their games, and I don't think they'd be willing to do that.

Maybe if they set it up so that when your Pokemon faints, it gets so upset with you it runs away? xD

If they were to implement a mode for this, I'd imagine them to go towards something like that--if your Pokémon faints a certain amount of time (one time likely wouldn't make much sense, especially if their friendship level is high), they would release themselves out of frustration, haha.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I suppose the odd thing though is that Pokemon can in fact die in the games, as is shown by the various graveyard sites like Lavender Tower and Mt. Pyre. But yeah, kids really wouldn't like it if their Pokemon really could die in battle in the games. Idk, maybe someone could make a hack or something with the feature in it though.

I'm not sure if it's officially stated, it's said that Game Freak don't wanna associate death to battles.

But according to the recent statics, kids from nowadays aren't interested in Pokémon, (low anime viewers, more adult players on Pokémon games). So they might change the formula a little bit, I guess nothing like dying from battle a la Dragon Quest, though. Pokkén Tournament, on the other hand, can be seen as slightly hardcore. TPC/TPCi might be testing waters with the said fighting game.

Years
  • Maybe if they set it up so that when your Pokemon faints, it gets so upset with you it runs away? xD

Wow, just imagine if that was a thing in Generation V - maybe Team Plasma would have more to them if they saw that! Had BW (and B2W2 to a lesser extent) been like that, it would honestly get far more interesting, no? (And yes, in Black 2 and White 2 we already know Team Plasma has no moral objectives but there are still grunts who talk of Pokémon being treated like objects.)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Wow, just imagine if that was a thing in Generation V - maybe Team Plasma would have more to them if they saw that! Had BW (and B2W2 to a lesser extent) been like that, it would honestly get far more interesting, no? (And yes, in Black 2 and White 2 we already know Team Plasma has no moral objectives but there are still grunts who talk of Pokémon being treated like objects.)

And then at the end of the game, N would battle you using all the Pokemon that left you, perhaps? o: Now that would truly be Pokemon Hardcore mode!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Due to the popularity of Nuzlockes, I'd say such a thing would be pretty well received! Granted, GameFreak would have to be willing to slap a big "M for Mature" on all their games, and I don't think they'd be willing to do that.

Actually considering the audience for Pokemon this would be a disaster in terms of sales. Nuzlocke might be popular relatively, but the people that actually like it represent a very, very significant minority. (And honestly it wouldn't have taken off if it weren't for the original comic and what it spawned)

People would just reset every time they lost a Pokemon. Wouldn't you? That's pretty much how everyone plays Fire Emblem, which is a series mainly targeted towards veterans of the series. (And the tactical aspect of Fire Emblem makes the risk of losing your unit/resetting the whole map excitingly thrilling and forces you to think and plan in advance, Pokemon is too simple for it to be thrilling.)

Years
  • I'm with Nah's statement in that while we do have graveyards existing in the Pokemon universe, seeing Pokemon actually die in-game would be way too scary for kids to witness. However, with the fact that kids are becoming less interested in the franchise (as Unaplogetic pointed out with the low anime viewer ratings) and more adults starting to play, I feel like that a mature Pokemon game could happen even if I think it'll be unlikely to ever take off.

Back