• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest game to catch the legendaries

Years
  • Either I am terribly unlucky or Emerald is the hardest game to catch its respective legendaries in that I've played.

It took me over 10 attempts to catch Groudon.
    I've so far taken 24 attempts at Kyogre - pain in the you know what with it's rest and double edge preventing you from keeping it at close to nil HP as possible.
    So I gave up on it and went after the Regis. Go to Regirock, have it asleep, minimal HP and throwing what felt like 40+ timer balls and ultra balls at it. Then it runs out of PP for all moves and uses that struggle (was that what it was called - I got Very annoyed at this point) and it fainted. UGH!

What the hell, seriously. I guess I've been spoilt at how easy X and Y and Black and Black 2 were. I mean, I can caught Mewtwo first attempt with a normal pokeball!

What am I doing wrong?! It's so frustrating!

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • I think you're having a horrendous case of bad luck mate v.v You haven't stepped on any black cats under a ladder lately have you? I'll agree on Kyogre being an absolute pain to catch thanks to Double-Edge, but you can easily block that off by using a Night Shade Dusclops. What pokemon are you using to catch the legends?

Years
  • I think you're having a horrendous case of bad luck mate v.v You haven't stepped on any black cats under a ladder lately have you? I'll agree on Kyogre being an absolute pain to catch thanks to Double-Edge, but you can easily block that off by using a Night Shade Dusclops. What pokemon are you using to catch the legends?

Luck has improved slightly. Caught the Regirock after I posted this thread. Then I caught Regice in under 10 attempts and Registeel first attempt with a Great Ball.

For the Regis I used my whole in game team: Sableye, Vileplume, Skarmory, Electrode, Exploud, and Swampert. To be honest, I only really used whatever got me down to almost nil HP and then spammed Sleep Powder with the Vileplume.

For Kyogre, I swapped out Exploud and Skarmory and used Rayquaza and Groudon as they're the same level just to weaken it. Groudon comes in handy with Drought taking over from Drizzle. Then once low enough I use the Vileplume to put it to sleep again. However, i never though of switching Sableye back in to counter the double edge seeing as it is part ghost type.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Man, it really just depends on your luck. I don't believe that there is a game which it is harder to catch legendaries than the others. I remember back in Pokemon Platinum, I found Giratina and it took me at least a good hour and a half to finally catch with a Great Ball. Did it make the catch any more great? Not really, by the time I caught it I was too frustrated to care. The hardest legendaries to capture are the ones that are constantly moving, like the Legendary Dogs in HeartGold and SoulSilver or Cresselia. Those are the ones that become a real pain in the uutt, because you constantly have to paralyze or put them to sleep.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • Like everyone else said, it's just bad luck. Sometimes I go on a streak where it appears to be incredibly easy to catch the legendaries. However, most of the time, I resort to the simultaneous pressing of A + B, hoping that it will somehow work.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    The catch rate has gone up in newer gens, while it used to be 3, it is now about 30. So of course the older ones are harder to catch. The gold/silver duo used to give me trouble. >.< All my pokes were to weak or to strong. One megahorn fron heracross would KILL HO-OH. Not joking T^T

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I found it to be pretty difficult to capture legendaries in all three of these games, unfortunately. ): In Ruby, it had taken me nearly a week to capture Groudon; in Emerald, it took more than 15 days to catch Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza all together; in Sapphire, I… just don't remember. Wound up quitting the game at one point because of all frustration caused by Kyogre, haha.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    The catch rate is the same man... it's just luck haha, and you're not having good one. Get some ultra balls and a Scyther with false swipe and a pokemon that can put it to sleep and you're set.. unless that legendary has rest, in that case you're ♥♥♥♥ed lol

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Your case of bad luck may be no different from those who get hit by 100% accuracy Supersonic and Poisonpowder. People also get burnt by fire moves or paralysed every time a physical move is used on a Pokémon with static. You don't question luck, you don't.

I needed 42 Ultra Balls and three Timer Balls to catch Rayquaza, and I think that was my first ever legendary I captured (barring Kyogre on whom I used the Master Ball) so I got used to the toughness, I guess. You should really save before battling a legendary, especially the ones which we have to battle to progress the story.

If you caught Mewtwo on your first try, then you have unimaginable luck. I salute you for the goodness you've done in your life to deserve it.

Years
  • I've got the Regis. I've got the Latios. Still haven't got the Kyogre but now AlphaSapphire is confirmed I'm not going to bother with it in Emerald!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, at least Emerald didn't lock you out of getting Regice (caused by a bugged ingame timer), like Ruby and Sapphire did.

I think the hardest times I had catching legendaries was back in Gen 1/2. xD

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Nope pretty sure it's just your luck since the game does it on chance. I already caught the three regis but I haven't caught the other trio yet still training for battle frontier. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I think they're all the same. They all have a catch rate of three, if I'm sure. Unless you got lucky with some, and unlucky with some, they should all be equal. ;)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2015
    I just caught a Groudon in Ruby with 4 Ultra balls!! Lucky or what? Lol

Years
  • Luck is a huge factor when it comes to legendary Pokemon. When I first played RSE, I spent several hours chipping away at Kyogre's health and throwing hundreds of Ultra-balls at it. When I played Ruby on an emulator later on, I managed to catch Groudon in only five or six attempts, which was a new record for me. Rayquaza took forever though; I had to put my game away and lie down because I was developing such a nasty headache :[

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I had rotten luck in RSE, too. In XY, I came prepared to fight Xerneas with 99 ultra balls, haha. Guess how many I needed? 4! Honestly, I think RSE just has really low catch rates :/ I have memories of staying up for days trying to catch Rayquaza specifically.

There isn't anything else you can do, unfortunately.

Back