• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest rom hacking skill

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
  • I do not agree.

It's like game development.
    A group is responsible for the graphics, the other by the sound, and another for the development itself.

Another example is the creation of websites.
    Uses PHP, ASP, HTML, and imagens (flash, fireworks, photoshop, etc.).

If you do not draw any tile, will not be able to insert it.
    If you managed to insert some, it was because someone designed it.

Why do you think many people ask for help to "Tilers" and "Spriters"?

Well, that's my opinion.

I'd have to agree with you on that spriting is used to help make ROM hacks better as a new adventure, but I disagree in that ROMs need new graphics and sprites, and I'm not saying that you mean that. I think that have spriting bieng deemed a ROM hacking skill is unvalid.

pokefreak2

I can't believe you read this
    Years
  • I'd have to agree with you on that spriting is used to help make ROM hacks better as a new adventure, but I disagree in that ROMs need new graphics and sprites, and I'm not saying that you mean that. I think that have spriting bieng deemed a ROM hacking skill is unvalid.
    yea sprites and graphics make the hack look alot better so it doesnt look old and so 2003/2004

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • yea sprites and graphics make the hack look alot better so it doesnt look old and so 2003/2004

That's a very subjective point. I don't believe any real custom tileset is better than what Gamefreak/Nintendo made in the original. The only "new" tiles I can really stand are Fangking Omega's Johto Tileset and the Kyledove-style DP ones, but those are all Nintendo-styled.

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
  • That's a very subjective point. I don't believe any real custom tileset is better than what Gamefreak/Nintendo made in the original. The only "new" tiles I can really stand are Fangking Omega's Johto Tileset and the Kyledove-style DP ones, but those are all Nintendo-styled.
    Though I do agree that they are still Nintendo style, I think his main point was that it looked like old-Nintendo. Kyledove and Fangking Omega had updated looks to the ones they made. So, it is still Nintendo, but putting it into today's terms. It seems to me that if you do use custom sprites and tiles, then it would be apart of your hack, so it would be a skill. But if you don't, you most likely wouldn't consider it one. It is the nice gray area skill, it could be argued and proven either way.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • What the hardest skill is depends on your talents. Since I'm graphically challenged, I'd say graphics would be the hardest part, considered a skill. Otherwise, it's all pretty easy for me, so I really can't say.

Years
  • The hardest part for me is probably ASM. Though I've never tried it, I probably never will. And I don't really care.
    Scripting, I don't find too bad. That's probably because there's loads of comprehensive tutorials about it, and you can literally just use one as a guideline as you script. Not too hard at all. I find Mapping and Spriting the easiest, but getting maps to look "right" can be rather difficult sometimes.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    What is really hard, for me that is, is ASM. I tried it once, but I failed XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    I'd say ASM is difficult (as in I want to cut the amount done to an absolute minimum), but knowing how bad I am with pictures, spriting is a close second.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Scripting is the hardest for me, as I haven't really tried ASM out, and I don't plan to.
    Every script that I make never work out the way I planned it to. :(

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Whatever it is, it isn't mapping. It may be tedious but it isn't hard. I'd have to say ASM scripting would be the "hardest" for me personally. But I would suspect a skilled ASM scripter like HackMew would disagree.

Years
  • I do not agree.

It's like game development.
    A group is responsible for the graphics, the other by the sound, and another for the development itself.

Another example is the creation of websites.
    Uses PHP, ASP, HTML, and imagens (flash, fireworks, photoshop, etc.).

If you do not draw any tile, will not be able to insert it.
    If you managed to insert some, it was because someone designed it.

Why do you think many people ask for help to "Tilers" and "Spriters"?

Well, that's my opinion.
    Well, Here it goes again.
    It's a problem of what we call it.
    As long as we call it hacking, I'd assume we're talking about hacking.
    And there the spriting isn't importent. Spriting is not hacking at all. but neither would I say scripting is.
    Sure grapic and scripting is importent if you'd like tó make a game. But that's modding, not hacking. Please start calling it modding, if you want those to be counted in.

yea asm is pretty hard the only reason i cant do it is because i cant find the offset in hex editor O_O i need it so i can get asm to work :(
    lol, that's so funny in so many ways. Sorry, but that's like saying. "I'm awesome at riding my bike, except I can't keep the balance or make it drive."

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    The hardest aspects of making a hack are
    Dialouge.
    Story writing.
    Map making
    Spriting
    General GFX.

If you can't do any of that. You have no hope.

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
    Years
  • Hm, what's really hard is what we try to get in our hack that is limited by the game's code, that makes things harder for all of us. Merry Christmas everyone :)

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
    Years
  • for an actual skill, it would be for me, mapping/asm
    but this doesn't really count but for me also is making someone would enjoy playing through for the hours to get through a beta or demo, then play it again after the next release

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    Well, Here it goes again.
    It's a problem of what we call it.
    As long as we call it hacking, I'd assume we're talking about hacking.
    And there the spriting isn't importent. Spriting is not hacking at all. but neither would I say scripting is.
    Sure grapic and scripting is importent if you'd like tó make a game. But that's modding, not hacking. Please start calling it modding, if you want those to be counted in.

I do not agree whatsoever . . . .
    Spriting, Tiling, and Scripting are some of the essentials in making a hack. Take the real Pokemon games themselves (I know these are not hacks, but), Nintendo creates new tilesets, sprites, and scripts for every generation of games (Gen I had it's own tileset and sprites, Gen II had their own, etc.). In my opinion these are some of the most important (but maybe not the hardest) skills.

Back