• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Miau

If I fits...
Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Hello! First post, and I basically joined this to see if I can't get this one question answered;
    the question being in regards to the Masuda Method.

I've been breeding Eevee's for almost two month now, (I'm almost to 2,000 eggs) and haven't bred a single shiny eevee, which has lead me to wonder if what I'm doing is wrong. Now, I understand that you need to breed a foreign eevee with one from your game, so what I did was breed a foreign male eevee with a ditto until I got a female eevee; I then proceeded to replace the ditto with the female eevee. Was this the wrong thing to do? I don't have a problem encountering shiny pokemon: I have chain fished many as well as encountered a shiny yanma, and trevenant. This in mind, if I chain fish periodically while hatching eggs, does that hurt my chances of hatching a shiny?

Thank you for your help.

Make sure that the male is indeed foreign. Check his summary page, and in the top left, there should be a black label with the region he's from, like JPN, SPA, KOR, etc. You should be fine with breeding that foreign male with a female hatched in your game (or any female from a different region than the male). If that's the case, you're doing it right, but you seem to be having very bad luck :(

Hey there, this is my first thread so I hope it's OK for posting it here.

I have a serieus question about using the Masuda Method. I am aware of the fact that you'll have to use one foreign pokemon and one Pokemon that is from the same language/area as your game cartridge. But, I wanted to start a MM project, like breeding with a Japanese Scyther and I got a Ditto from a friend, who lives in the UK. I'm from the Netherlands, so that would mean the Ditto is still from a European country.

If I use these Pokemon regarding to the Masuda Method, will it take effect? Or do you HAVE to have one of your parent Pokemon caught in your own cartridge in which you are breeding (that is, do you have to be the original trainer yourself of one of the parent Pokemon)? I'm not the original trainer of both of the Pokemon I use, even though the Ditto is still from the same "area" I'm in and so, my cartridge (UK and Netherlands are both in Europe).

Thanks for all your help and effort guys!

It should work. Just to be clear though, none of the Pokemon have to be from your country, and also, it's not country, it's more like language. For example, a Pokemon from the UK and a Pokemon from the USA would both be English, and would have the ENG label if they're traded to a Japanese or Spanish game. Just make sure that the Scyther and Ditto have different labels on their summary page. The Scyther should have the JAP label, and the Ditto should have the ENG label, or no label at all, if your game is also English.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    Make sure that the male is indeed foreign. Check his summary page, and in the top left, there should be a black label with the region he's from, like JPN, SPA, KOR, etc. You should be fine with breeding that foreign male with a female hatched in your game (or any female from a different region than the male). If that's the case, you're doing it right, but you seem to be having very bad luck :(

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you for your response.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    In the meantime I guess I can entertain myself by trying to get a shiny Tyrunt. Which one will be here first, Bank or my next hatched shiny? :Y
    I did it. It took forever, but I did it.
    I now have a 4IV shiny Tyrunt with a bunch of egg moves and it's so blue and great. The Tyrunt I had in the daycare with the foreign male is now lvl 100, not even kidding. It was lvl 1 when I deposited it and it wasn't even the first one I had in there.

My faith sure was tested by the RNG gods this time, but I survived. I gotta hope my next project doesn't take ages like this one, since I really want a shiny Scolipede.
    Daaang them colours. B]

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • I've got a question for those of you who have successfully hatched a shiny (and kept count of their eggs).

When doing your egg count, do you reset your count to 0 when you replace one of the pokemon at the daycare, specifically when trying to hatch the same pokemon?

Considering each time you hatch an egg, your odds remain ~1/1,300 so it's not like it's changing your odds, but I was just curious.

I'm officially at 970 eggs with no shiny Emolga (STILL!? HOW CAN THIS BE???). I haven't replaced either pokemon at the daycare, so my running total remains.

This was my first attempt at hatching a shiny, and will likely be my last. I can't waste any more perfectly good adventuring time on these dumb eggs.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I haven't gotten one yet since I've never attempted to. I am tempted to try it out though, I have a few foreign Pokemon I received from Wonder Trade. For now however, I'm focusing on completing the Gen III games...

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I've got a question for those of you who have successfully hatched a shiny (and kept count of their eggs).

When doing your egg count, do you reset your count to 0 when you replace one of the pokemon at the daycare, specifically when trying to hatch the same pokemon?

Considering each time you hatch an egg, your odds remain ~1/1,300 so it's not like it's changing your odds, but I was just curious.

I'm officially at 970 eggs with no shiny Emolga (STILL!? HOW CAN THIS BE???). I haven't replaced either pokemon at the daycare, so my running total remains.

This was my first attempt at hatching a shiny, and will likely be my last. I can't waste any more perfectly good adventuring time on these dumb eggs.
    I take a break from trying for a certain Pokemon when it takes more than 2-3 days (I'd guess 5-6 hrs each day). Usually get them when I come back to try again :)

Also try chain-fishing or the other methods. It might not be the shiny you are looking for, but it does appease somewhat :)

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I have been doing the Masuda method in less than a week now and still haven't found a shiny. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or some RNG is messed up. Since the RNG Abuse, it has now been know that certain actions in game can trigger or alter your chances. I might be afraid I've done things to lessen my chances. I am currently breeding for a shiny Fennekin using my Delphox and a Jap Ditto.

Nusdogg

6IV Shiny Master
    Years
  • 10 box meaning 300 eggs so far, no shiny Pichu yet. I've already did all the IV part. Hoping it's a 5IV when I hatch that shiny. Been getting 4 and 5 IVs. Hoping to get a 6, but none.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • I take a break from trying for a certain Pokemon when it takes more than 2-3 days (I'd guess 5-6 hrs each day). Usually get them when I come back to try again :)

Also try chain-fishing or the other methods. It might not be the shiny you are looking for, but it does appease somewhat :)

Thanks for the suggestion, sometimes it's really hard to see the forest for the trees when you've been in the thick of it all. Taking a break from Egg hatching hasn't yielded any other Shinies yet, but I've switched my aim to completing the Kalos Dex, and at least I feel like I'm getting something done again. For a while there I was wondering if I would even be satisfied with achieving a MM bred shiny. It will eventually be worth it, of course. Shinies are always worthwhile.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • I managed to hatch my first shiny with Masuda Method without even trying. And actually it wasn't even Masuda Method as my Spritzee and Ditto are from my game so guess it was pure luck. Though, I'm still very happy to have a shiny Spritzee now too. :D

Years
  • I know that breeding can be boring, but watching random videos passes the time. So I tried to breed a perfect IV Gible, laugh at a video, look down, and was like oh snap a shiny. Unfortunately, it had imperfect 4 IVs yet the third egg had perfect 6.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I managed to hatch my first shiny with Masuda Method without even trying. And actually it wasn't even Masuda Method as my Spritzee and Ditto are from my game so guess it was pure luck. Though, I'm still very happy to have a shiny Spritzee now too. :D

Hey I just hatched a shiny Spritzee too! Had 6IV and 5IV parents and got a subpar Spritzee, but hey, it's shiny.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • Hey I just hatched a shiny Spritzee too! Had 6IV and 5IV parents and got a subpar Spritzee, but hey, it's shiny.

Oh, we are twinsies! :D That's so awesome! To be honest I have no interest on IVs whatsoever at all. I do EV train my Pokemon but I just don't have any understanding on IVs though read several articles about those.

At the moment trying to breed shiny Shroomishia but yet no luck at all. :P About 100 eggs atleast down, haven't kept accurate record of them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    I had prepared 210 eggs to hatch a shiny eevee, but I got one after 56 eggs! So now I got to hatch the rest -_-

Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • After just hatching ONLY 19 eggs, i just got a Shiny 4IV Ralts! Too bad its a male, though.

I have a question: The last time I saved the game was right before I started hatching. If I SR my game, will that shiny still be within 20 eggs, or will my chances be re-shuffled?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    After just hatching ONLY 19 eggs, i just got a Shiny 4IV Ralts! Too bad its a male, though.

I have a question: The last time I saved the game was right before I started hatching. If I SR my game, will that shiny still be within 20 eggs, or will my chances be re-shuffled?

Lol if you already had the shiny egg before the last time you saved, it will be EXACTLY the same pokemon hatched. If you did not have the egg before saving, you will have the rate of 1/1000 or w/e for all the eggs following, so the chances you get a shiny in 20 will be incredibly low.

I had prepared 210 eggs to hatch a shiny eevee, but I got one after 56 eggs! So now I got to hatch the rest -_-

Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

No egg moves? That must be a Jolteon! D=

Last edited:

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • Lol if you already had the shiny egg before the last time you saved, it will be EXACTLY the same pokemon hatched. If you did not have the egg before saving, you will have the rate of 1/1000 or w/e for all the eggs following, so the chances you get a shiny in 20 will be incredibly low.

No egg moves? That must be a Jolteon! D=

Ah, I SR'd with no such luck D: 65 eggs deep now, with no luck. Hate to see that. Oh well, I'll keep chuggin.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Currently sitting at 13 full boxes of Petilil, so 390 babies, and no shiny yet. Both parents have 5 perfect IVs, so at least when I get that shiny, she'll have at least 4 perfect IVs :)

Congrats on your Eevee! You could do an egg trading thing over at the trade sub-forum, hehe.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    I've gotten a shiny charizard, shiny ralts, shiny eevee, shiny zorua, and a couple others. Usually get them around 200 eggs. :)
    right now i'm going for a cottonee. (although i messed up 2 boxes full of eggs and now i have my fingers crossed on not getting a shiny, :()

Kagura_Nitrogat

Egg Factory
    Years
  • I bred about 500+ eggs to get a shiny Eevee and got nada, I'm pretty sure I hatched over a 1000 because I only started counting recently, I guess I'm just really unlucky.

Back