• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has GO encouraged you to go outside more?

NightKrow

staying up all night
Years
  • Me before today: bed.

Me after today: LET'S GO CATCH SOME POKÉMON! *douses self in sun cream* *takes ALL of the hayfever meds* *charges up portable charger* *goes outside*

Sirfetch’d

Mine has encouraged me to be at work and in town more lol. There aren't too many Pokemon right outside of where I live. THE LIFE OF LIVING IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
    Has GO encouraged you to go outside more?

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • apparently I didn't douse myself in enough suncream because now the tops of my ears are peeling

...maybe I should bathe in it next time

Love_Fight_Repeat

*Having_Fun*
    Years
  • Yeah for sure. I have been going out to more parks. Today I visited a higher end shopping center I walked around for 2 hours and I even visited a local Red Robin's to eat because they had a PokeStop. I even got a discount because I was playing Pokemon Go. It was a pretty good day.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    It definitely has. Me and my husband are both fairly active already, but like yesterday for instance, we woke up at 8am specifically to go on a walk down main street and collect pokestops, find pokemon etc. Later on we went to the pool and by the pool there's a park with a winding track and quite a few pokestops there so we ended up exploring the park as well, which turned out to be GORGEOUS with a gazebo overlooking the most gorgeous pond (which happened to have a gym on the other side). There were quite a few other people who had the same idea as us and we found a group of maybe 8-10 older teenagers sitting around the rock wall (which was a pokestop with a lure) catching pokemon as they showed up and commenting about the stuff they got, etc.

It's already been soooo much fun and I wore my fitbit which let me know I had over 12,000 steps by dinner time! The only issue is that I got ridiculously bad sunburned from being out all day, but wearing sunscreen is a small price to pay for such an amazing time. Ha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I am a Lifeguard at a pool so I am always outside anyway so it really hasn't got me out more. One cool thing though is it got a group of friends around 10 people taking walks together trying to check Pokemon.

Years
  • I've been going outside everyday due to XC practicing by myself and a friend. However, this game has caused me to stay 3-4 hours longer than usually, and made me buy a power bank! It's fun to place lure modules with my friend as nearby Pokemon GO players come and stay to catch Pokemon. I met some very nice people through that!

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I have already been going out but it has encouraged me to go out even more now!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Oh definitely, I visited a park I haven't been to in ten years, explored a new side of town, and walked up and down the mall while staring at my phone for two hours. :p

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2016
    Pokemon Go has definitely gotten me out of the house more! My evenings used to consist of me playing games on my 3ds and my husband firmly attached to hi ls xbox controller. Now we are getting out of the house together, spending more time actually talking, and even taking short trips to nearby cities to go exploring when we get the chance! Hopefully we will be able to keep up this momentum when the rain returns this fall

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Pokemon Go has definitely gotten me out of the house more! My evenings used to consist of me playing games on my 3ds and my husband firmly attached to hi ls xbox controller. Now we are getting out of the house together, spending more time actually talking, and even taking short trips to nearby cities to go exploring when we get the chance! Hopefully we will be able to keep up this momentum when the rain returns this fall
    Things like this are why Pokémon Go is such a great idea. I've personally found it having similar uses in my relationship too as a way to go out together more in a really relaxing and fun atmosphere which beats staying at home on the laptops easily. Hoping it stays like this for you, sounds like it's been a big thing for you :)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday

Things like this are why Pokémon Go is such a great idea. I've personally found it having similar uses in my relationship too as a way to go out together more in a really relaxing and fun atmosphere which beats staying at home on the laptops easily. Hoping it stays like this for you, sounds like it's been a big thing for you :)
    It's the same here for me. Although for me, it's more like my relationship with my parents is improving because of Go. Like today, I was the one that suggested we go out to an outdoor concert at a place where there were a few PokeSpots, and my parents and I walked around re-exploring the area. If we didn't go out and do that, we all would have been on separate ends of the house, not talking to each other.

Go has also encouraged me to get out and actually practice driving. I like driving if I have a destination in mind, and going to a place where there's a PokeSpot is a definite incentive.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    It's the same here for me. Although for me, it's more like my relationship with my parents is improving because of Go. Like today, I was the one that suggested we go out to an outdoor concert at a place where there were a few PokeSpots, and my parents and I walked around re-exploring the area. If we didn't go out and do that, we all would have been on separate ends of the house, not talking to each other.
    Do your parents play too? One of my close friends has a similar situation to yours where he and his sister have barely ever spent time together and hardly ever speak to each other (not that I'm suggesting this was anything close to your situation, but a family spending their time apart from each other is relatable for a lot of people) but since Go came out they're spending loads of time outside together and have become very close as a family because of it. I know I've said this before but it's just so cool to see how big of an impact Go is having on peoples' everyday lives. It's such an awesome thing to happen to the world with the state it's in right now and honestly I'm just so glad it's going down as well as it is; I really do hope a lot of people are having the same effects that we are.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Do your parents play too?
    I'm the only one in my family crazy enough to buy a new phone for Pokemon. :) My parents are both fine with their lower-end phones. But they like Pokemon and learning about all the new little attractions that are PokeSpots, some of which we've never seen before even after living in the area for 40 years!

It is crazy just how more sociable people are because of Go. Crazy, but it's a good thing.

Go is also great for people with depression, like me and a few other people I watch on Youtube. Because of Go, we're getting outside and moving, which is great for helping with depression. And Go's system means that we have small goal we can work towards, so we don't get de-motivated (and therefore more depressed) with the game.

It's just really great that there's this game now that has brought people out of their shells, gotten them out of the house and talking to people, and people are happier.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    It's encouraged me to want to go out walking more, but unfortunately work and social commitments have gotten in the way :( I usually walk quite a lot, but my summer job requires car travel so I don't get my usual walking commute miles in. Only really get a chance on weekends.

EvaLiz666

Dilettante and occasional cookie baker
    Years
  • I'm getting out more during lunch time, we shall see how that holds up after a few months play :-) I live out in the middle of no where so lunch time and the commute to and from on the bus is where I do most of my playing.

Azelf Ibrahim

Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?
    Years
  • I work outdoors so I guess not but I have been getting off the train station a couple stops before my home town just to walk the rest of the way home while playing Pokémon GO.

It definitely has encouraged me to walk more.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2016
    I think for me it definitely has. I got the app about a week ago and even my Mom said I've been outside more than usual. I think it is awesome cuz it gets me more active than sitting on my *** on my phone or laptop all day in my bedroom.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I've noticed that GO has slowly made me change some of my habits; I now take a more circuitous route to the shop that passes more stops, and I convinced my other half to take a turn through the park when we were walking home from town, rather than going directly. Honestly I think if I was on my own I would do that sort of thing more, but as I'm usually walking with my fiance, it feels a bit mean making him walk more just so that I can collect pixels. One of my housemates has the game though so next weekend, weather permitting, we'll go Poke-hunting.

Basically if it wasn't for me being at work most of the time, I'd be out and about loads.

Back