• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you all ever looked at Pokémon heights?

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    I only recently started looking at their heights, and it intrigues me. I thought alot of the Pokémon were about human size, but then it turns alot of the Pokémon I even thought to be large (like 7'0), such as Typhlosion, were only 5'7. That's below the average height of a Human! And then there's the wicked tall Pokémon you didn't even know were wicked tall, like Feraligatr, and Arbok, and Hariyama. (Did you know Milotic is above 20 feet long?)

So have you all ever had a gander at Pokémon heights? What shocked you?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I came across an image the other day showing a bunch of Pokémon at proper scaling. I was pretty surprised that Wailord is so much bigger than Kyogre, since I always pictured the latter as absolutely massive.
    I checked the wiki to be sure, and yeah, Wailord is about 3 times the size of Kyogre, who kind of feels like a puny little dolphin now.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • The size of the eeveelutions always surprised me. They're all over double the size of Eevee, and I always imagined them being about the same size as Eevee (a small dog size).

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • Sceptile is only 5'7 which is actually quite small considering Sceptile is supposed to be significantly taller than their trainer in the anime, and Seviper is 8'10, which is really long for a Pokemon, but it is actually realistic considering it's a snake.

Years
  • One of the most shocking ones to me was some cute Grass-types like Bellossom and Roselia. They were actually much smaller than I first pictured them, with the former even being smaller than Oddish.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • One of the most shocking ones to me was some cute Grass-types like Bellossom and Roselia. They were actually much smaller than I first pictured them, with the former even being smaller than Oddish.

I'd like a tiny little Bellossom on my desk please. {XD}

Gengar is a lot bigger than I always thought too. I had forgotten about that one. Gengar is 4'11", that's only a few inches shy of me (5'3") but Gengar is pretty much round, so it's HUGE.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    Gengar is a lot bigger than I always thought too. I had forgotten about that one. Gengar is 4'11", that's only a few inches shy of me (5'3") but Gengar is pretty much round, so it's HUGE.

Gengar actually goes DOWN in height when evolving from Haunter. That might be because when it lists him as 5'3, it counts the void between him and the platform he's levitating on as "height," but I dunno.

I wonder what would happen if you just had a Wailmer in some sort of little pond, and then he evolved into Wailord. Would he just flop out of the pond, crush everyone, then suffocate?

EDIT: Super Size Gourgeist is the same size as Charizard, Heatran, Victrebell, Deoxys, Regirock, etc. This is the evolution of a Pokémon who can be as small as 1'0.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I always forget that Nidoking is only 4'7", which is a foot shorter than me. It's so weird to think of that strong bulky Pokemon being...short.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    yeah the heights of pokemon was brought to my attention once.. idk someone wrote about it somewhere. i always just took the pokedex entries as kind of like filler to make the pokedex seem more realistic. idk if that makes sense? basically i don't take the heights too seriously and i just continue to imagine it the way i want lol.

this might be weird, but a shocking height for me was Roserade. for some reason i thought it was at least 4 to 5 feet tall. it's a humanoid plant i figured it would be a small human's height. turned out to be under 3 feet

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah some of the heights of Pokemon are a little odd, and their appearances in-game and the anime tend to not help. I'm 5'8" and it's a little funny but odd that I'm taller than 'mons like Charizard, which seem to be larger than that. Then you have stuff like Wailord, which is actually fucking massive but you'd never guess that from its in-game models.

Sometimes I wonder if they like kinda randomly assigned heights to Pokemon or something. It's probably in some ways more sensible from a child's point of view though. iirc there was even a thing in the Dex in the Gen 4 games that would let you compare a Pokemon's height and weight to the player character. They're all between 4'6"-4'11" and 75lbs-90-lbs, which is similar to the average 12ish year old, and so are on par with or smaller than some of the Pokemon that us old people are as big or bigger than.

Years
  • In Emerald, I compared the player's size with Wailord. Dang, Wailord is big. I wonder how it will look like in Pokemon GO :p

Years
  • I always take Pokedex entries with a grain of salt- stats like height and weight included. In media like the manga and anime, Pokemon are shown all of the time as sizes much different than the Pokedex would suggest, so I've always just assumed that the numbers in the Pokedex were either the average for the species, or just the first one they came across and measured.

That said, going by the numbers alone, it's weird to think that a Pokemon like Slowking is 2 feet taller than the likes of Nidoking and Darkrai, while Kingdra and Dragalge (both based on types of seahorses) are the same size as a Hydreigon or Regice.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    It's also strange to think about how there's a one and a half foot gap between the Slowpoke evolutions. It's strange to think that if a Shellder bites you on the tail, you stretch out one foot, but if he bites you on the head, you stretch out 2 and a half feet.

Back