• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever been in an online relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
Years
    • Va
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    I am currently in an online relationship that's been ongoing for about 4 years. I met him through a friend that I've known for 3 years prior.
    I can honestly say that I've never been happier. We do plan to meet this year now that I've gotten my financial things in order. He's always there for me and is extremely kind. We do talk on Skype every so often when we have free time, because we used MSN Messenger prior and that's now kaput.
    I wouldn't say that Internet relationships should be Taboo at all, it depends on the parties and how much they're willing to invest in it

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
    Years
  • I've been in an online relationship going on four years now. We literally talk everyday. We've both have been going though a lot and have been the support that each other needs. Recent unfortunate tragedies have put a damper on us being together like we've wished but we have most definitely grown stronger together out of them. She's too hard on herself and even if she wont admit it, she has one of the kindest hearts I've ever seen. I wouldn't give up the time we've had together for anything. I can say without hesitation that this is the happiest I've ever been.

Honestly it all depends on the people. Yes it gets hard and you yearn to see your love. But if you feel it in your heart and you are willing to wait for it? You won't regret it. I know I haven't :]

Years
  • I was in one for 7 years with somebody, before we'd finally had enough of going back and forth to visit each other, and finally made plans for me to move up to live near him (one of the best moves in my life so far, honestly). We'd met through a group both of us happened to be in - funny enough, a pokemon-related group - and I don't even know when things started to happen, they just...did.

I've seen such relationships both work and fall apart. I'm indifferent to them. As far as I'm concerned they're pretty much just like any other relationship, if maybe needing a little extra push to work.

Personally though I don't like the term "online relationship." I prefer "long distance relationship."
    Yes.

Not sure if it's so much the case now, but "online" had a stigma attached to it that "long distance" didn't. Long-distance just meant you didn't happen to be within physical contact of each other. Online meant...well, if my mom's initial reaction to just even the thought of talking to people as friends "online" is anything, then yeah. "Online" was bad, and weird.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I have no problem with online relationships. I don't think they're for everyone - a lot of people desire physical closeness from their romantic relationships, for instance. It definitely requires a degree of trust and great communication skills. If you've got that, I think that's great.

I've never been in an online relationship myself, but I don't think I could do it. My partner and I briefly lived on different continents, and it was tough on both of us; I am happy to be living in the same city again.

Not sure if it's so much the case now, but "online" had a stigma attached to it that "long distance" didn't. Long-distance just meant you didn't happen to be within physical contact of each other. Online meant...well, if my mom's initial reaction to just even the thought of talking to people as friends "online" is anything, then yeah. "Online" was bad, and weird.
    I think there is a difference between a long-distance relationship and an online relationship, though. When a relationship is long-distance, the implication is that the parties already have some kind of relationship in real life, such as having met irl and one person moved away, or they may not live near one another but still make trips, or that the distance between them is only temporary (ex. one person has gone away for school). In an online relationship, the parties may have never even met irl before. They mostly got to know each other via online communication, and may have only gotten to meet some time into the relationship.

While this distinction is arguably fairly arbitrary, it's easy to see why some people see one as being more socially acceptable than the other. I understand why people find it odd (I personally still have a lot of preconceptions about online relationships that I still need to shake), but hopefully as we become more globally interconnected, that will change.

~Psychic

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I never was in an online relationship, but I know a couple people who are, which is why I think that it could work. As of that I'm not neccessarily opposed to being in one, but I'm not the kind of person who likes to start something like any kind of relationship, be it friendship or love, himself. Realistically speaking: my cautiousness would make it really hard to get into one and my own personal problems would lead me to avoid getting someone else into my own mess, at least for the moment.

Years
  • I've been in two. Didn't work out too well. I was drunk most of the time because I was depressed and just didn't want to be alone. Just wasn't the right time or people for me. I have nothing against them now and it just depends on the people. If both of you can stand being away from eachother, it's just that much better when you finally meet.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i've been in one serious one. we use to mail each other and stuff. ive had a couple flirts and romances, but nothing serious. im happy with my real life relationship now(:

Years
  • Yes, I absolutely love the idea of online relationships. You are immersed in a world where it's imperative to strive even harrder to communicate with someone in order to show your affection where as when you're next to each other we take it more for granted. I can't speak for everyone else but I've noticed I appreciate women more online because there's no time to be inclined to frivolous things. I don't know but offline relationships have never intrigued me enough to really dedicate myself to them. It's like I'm not myself in offline relationships because I feel pressured to exceed required expectations which never entail just " Talking " ( I'm still a virgin and I prefer it to stay that way until I die, so I don't need the temptations of reality disrupting my virtual love life). AHEM!

I'm a weird individual, lol. <.< I don't like " Reality ", I live off of my imagination majority of the time and I'm much more comfortable with imagining a person being in my arms than the actuality of me holding someone. Lol, I've sustained this mentality since I was a child and I don't plan on losing sight of that just because I am an " Adult ". My imagination is my reality and I never want to be proven otherwise. :o

It's like I can freely communicate through my heart when I'm typing to someone but when I actually talk I think entirely too hard about what I should say and it never seems genuine.

If I were to date again I would definitely want it to start online then possibly transitioning into an offline relationship, that way I can really be more focused on interacting with someone without too many distractions.

Last edited:

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
    Years
  • yea, big mistake. guy was a nutcase... >___> he eventually tried to control me by threatening to kill himself, lol. it was a lot of stress and drama ... never again.

CG1789

Crazy? No that's silly.... I'm just INSANE!
    Years
  • Sadly yes I have had a Online Relationship. One was when I was young. She constantly keep threatening to kill herself. And honestly after a year I pretty much just told her I didn't care anymore. She never killed herself..... She only 'pretended' to. Another was good for two months..... Then she went nuts and thought I was cheating on her every time I talked about a female family member. Sadly after all these years she's still trying to communicate with me....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back