• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I had a random idea today - perhaps through the DSi, then Radio function of the Pokegear (if it does come back) could use music from the SD card and play it. Then one could have their old GSC music if they wanted (and had the files, I suppose)... or Miror B's music, or just whatever. I do doubt such a thing really working out though - it'd have to be able to somehow take the music files that you wanted, in case you had more, from the SD card, and assign them to a frequency (if the radio works as it did in GSC), and then play it in the game and so forth - programming wise it wouldn't be easy and all. Just a random, unlikely 'what if' I felt like throwing around.
    You and everyone else guessed that. Seriously this idea is too great to pass up. On the frequency note the game could use it easy. You set your favorite radio station. That station would have the music you would want. Lets say you listen only to metal.(my case) You would set it to poke-rock the most jamming station in Johto! There your favorite music from your favorite genre would be played. Or Pop-mon the most techno station in Johto! Or say uh Poke-rap live for the most rapping station in Johto. Bad names but its an example. You can set a radio station(one of them) and it could be for your favorite genre. Or you could just have a random station which plays whatever song is not categorized.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    You and everyone else guessed that. Seriously this idea is too great to pass up. On the frequency note the game could use it easy. You set your favorite radio station. That station would have the music you would want. Lets say you listen only to metal.(my case) You would set it to poke-rock the most jamming station in Johto! There your favorite music from your favorite genre would be played. Or Pop-mon the most techno station in Johto! Or say uh Poke-rap live for the most rapping station in Johto. Bad names but its an example. You can set a radio station(one of them) and it could be for your favorite genre. Or you could just have a random station which plays whatever song is not categorized.
    IF such a feature actually happened (and mind you that's a pretty big if), I'd actually think that it'd potentially stick to random songs played on the one frequency, rather than it playing music genres and whatnot. Actually making such a thing otherwise would probably involve a lot of coding, and compadiability between the game and SD cards as well, and for the person to arrange said songs in folders on the SD card or something like that.

I'd be nice if it actually happened, but I do rather doubt it and care way more on them making the game fun and getting the more relevant gameplay stuff right first, yadda yadda yadda. (Plus I don't have a DSi anyway and no need for one either, so... =p)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Yes, didn't Team Rocket have some plot involving the Red Gyarados?
    The plot with the red Gyarados also tied in with the Team Rocket plot with the radio tower in Goldenrod. (Radio waves were played constantly to drive the Magikarp insane at the Lake of Rage, until it evolved.) Since the Team Rocket plot is an important part of the story, I'd assume it would stay in.

Edit: As for the Red Gyarados, in DPPt it also hinted its above-average availability I suppose. My bro got on from surfing or fishing there. Sure, it might be luck, but I dunno. The whole thing sounds a little too good to be a coincidence.
    Seriously? I never heard that. o.O But finding a shiny is a case of luck.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I'd be nice if it actually happened, but I do rather doubt it and care way more on them making the game fun and getting the more relevant gameplay stuff right first, yadda yadda yadda. (Plus I don't have a DSi anyway and no need for one either, so... =p)
    Yeah like I am wondering a lot of stuff. They finally added slopes. You know actual hill like tiles instead of bump things. How much will they use it? Will they add other surfaces that make more sense and add some realism? Another question to raise is town specific trees. Will they have them or only some towns? And how the story will add the new girl or gold if you chose the girl. What does lake of rage look like? Everything will get answered soon enough but not soon enough. This game is more interesting then thought. While its a remake deep down from what we saw major speculation needs to be brought.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Seriously? I never heard that. o.O But finding a shiny is a case of luck.
    I wouldn't say that it means the Red Gyarados is necessary going to be more likely to be obtainable in HG/SS, but they did make various mentions to them in D/P/Pt. In DP, the game began with you watching a tv show on the Red Gyarados. (And your rival drags you off to Lake Verity, hoping to catch one). In Platinum, the intro is gone, but apparently it is viewable randomly on tv, and a cameraman goes as far as to directly mention it by name (I was the one to film the Red Gyarados at Lake of Rage). But finding a shiny itself is indeed just luck.
    Yeah like I am wondering a lot of stuff. They finally added slopes. You know actual hill like tiles instead of bump things. How much will they use it? Will they add other surfaces that make more sense and add some realism? Another question to raise is town specific trees. Will they have them or only some towns? And how the story will add the new girl or gold if you chose the girl. What does lake of rage look like? Everything will get answered soon enough but not soon enough. This game is more interesting then thought. While its a remake deep down from what we saw major speculation needs to be brought.
    The tiles have improved a fair bit, really, looking closely at them and all. And my guess is that Lake of Rage won't look too different from what it does look like in GSC.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    I couldn't see the bumps until I just checked out the Slowpoke Well image again. I have to say my love for these games just skyrocketed.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    The tiles have improved a fair bit, really, looking closely at them and all. And my guess is that Lake of Rage won't look too different from what it does look like in GSC.
    True but I mean will it be roomy or compact? I mean the shot with Cynda can't be Azalea as the building under would be too small for a gym. So if it is Ecruteak(which I say it is) you can notice how much more compact it is. Burnt Tower isn't too far off and all and the pathways do not have that muchspace between them. Johto certainly is the same just more clean less desolate. Take for example Ilex forest.
    HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation
    HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation

If you cannot tell I will tell you. the path extends a bit then cuts up. Now the game cuts up straight there. I think that while yes a smaller region means ugh fast game but if both regions are in this will be great. Makes me wonder if the story will change.
    I couldn't see the bumps until I just checked out the Slowpoke Well image again. I have to say my love for these games just skyrocketed.
    There aren't bumps but slopes.
    Spoiler:

Slopes that go around the well. Amazing.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2009
    A Weird thing maybe Diffrent Story Lines Eg
    Become Apart of Team Rocket How fun would that be
    Or become A Gym Leader instead of the same line unless you have a diffrent game you get other pokemon
    Sorry for Spelling Errors

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I don't mind if Johto's a few tiles smaller if it means a complete Johto, a complete Kanto, and possibly Sevii Islands.
    You think I do? I just pointed it out to show that some maps might change so they can be more realistic or because the game wasn't capable of doing somethng back then it might change. Like Olivine. That lighthouse shall be HUGE. Or the Radio tower. These are the things that interest me.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    You think I do? I just pointed it out to show that some maps might change so they can be more realistic or because the game wasn't capable of doing somethng back then it might change. Like Olivine. That lighthouse shall be HUGE. Or the Radio tower. These are the things that interest me.
    The Radio Tower wasn't much of a tower. The tallest building in Johto was not only less than half the height of Silph, but each floor was tiny compared to Silph's monsterous hallways.

Hopefully, the tower will be a bit more respectable in these games.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well, Kanto was also downsized due to memory issues, so it's no great surprise that places in GSC's Johto also were a touch smaller than others. Heck, New Bark Town looks like it will possibly be somewhat bigger as well... since they have some more space to play with and all.

True but I mean will it be roomy or compact? I mean the shot with Cynda can't be Azalea as the building under would be too small for a gym.
    It mightn't, but I'm not too sure - the house above, and the position of the NPC from memory makes it seem a lot like Kurt's House there. Could be that the town is bigger yet again, and the gym's in a different position? I don't recall anywhere else leastways that looks like that as much as Azalea Town, is all (and doubtful it's a town much beyond there given the starter in the pic is not evolved yet - but with Cyndaquil it'll be getting close to it.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    It mightn't, but I'm not too sure - the house above, and the position of the NPC from memory makes it seem a lot like Kurt's House there. Could be that the town is bigger yet again, and the gym's in a different position? I don't recall anywhere else leastways that looks like that as much as Azalea Town, is all (and doubtful it's a town much beyond there given the starter in the pic is not evolved yet - but with Cyndaquil it'll be getting close to it.
    The NPC is a woman. The NPC in front of kurts house is a male while the one in front of the tower is a woman. Changing the location for the gym is doubtful as this is a remake not a V2. And that could be fore the sole reason of taking screenshots. Thus I find it more likely to be Burnt Tower then Kurt's. Exactly Hiroshi. I am expecting Kanto in but I just wanted to point out that the region will be downscaled or upscaled in size for some areas.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    The NPC is a woman. The NPC in front of kurts house is a male while the one in front of the tower is a woman. Changing the location for the gym is doubtful as this is a remake not a V2. And that could be fore the sole reason of taking screenshots. Thus I find it more likely to be Burnt Tower then Kurt's. Exactly Hiroshi. I am expecting Kanto in but I just wanted to point out that the region will be downscaled or upscaled in size for some areas.
    True, thought the Burnt Tower might have been the next best one... odd though that the person hasn't evolved his starter by that stage though. (And something there is certainly different if it is the Burnt Tower - the entrance to it was different slightly.) XD Then again... the back of Platinum's box had an Infernape with Close Combat, Flare Blitz, Calm Mind and... Fire Spin. Last two moves aren't exactly sensible either. XD

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Also note how there is charred looking piece of wood on the side of the hill. So that has to be it. Anyway I wanna know what the new gym building what the new PC and mart look like.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    We all do.But Im pretty sure it will be the same as D/P/Pt's since in FR/LG The buildings are the same as R/S/E's.
    You are kidding me right? Care to explain to me how the buildings in RSE are the same at all to the ones in FR/LG?
    Spoiler:
    RSE.
    Spoiler:
    FR/LG.

If not RSE had much better graphics and was superior in that department to RSE. Same thing will happen here.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You are kidding me right? Care to explain to me how the buildings in RSE are the same at all to the ones in FR/LG?
    Spoiler:
    RSE.
    Spoiler:
    FR/LG.

If not RSE had much better graphics and was superior in that department to RSE. Same thing will happen here.
    No no no not all the building just the mart and pokecenter and the gym.
    Though turned out I was wrong,Eh sorry.
    Maybe the will show us in the next scan.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Not quite. Gold and Silver have quite a bit of space left; the game is occupied with lots of leftover data (beta maps, for instance). Additionally, Pokémon Crystal's circuit board had a ROM capable of holding more than Gold/Silver, and accommodating the features the game introduced wouldn't take up a significant amount of space either.

It's being pointed out that some parts of the game are narrower than they originally were, mind you. It'd be incorrect to pin the blame on space issues for this game either; DS cards can have circuit boards with a very large ROM size. In fact, commonly we're looking at 256 MB ROMs on most games, which generally include lots of 3D models (of characters). The Pokémon series make sporadic use of 3D (and the mapping is done in a simple way) so I don't see GameFreak having issues with size, even with 128 MB circuit board ROMs (which GameFreak, but not Nintendo of America, use for the Pokémon games at the moment).

Sorry, had to get really technical there. :P
    Why apologize? Being technical is FUN! =P

Beta maps did appear a fair bit within GSC, heh. Such as those of the safari zone and so forth that never got used in the end, IIRC.

Doubt they'd have any issues with size this time around, really, so I don't see any downsizing being around like Kanto was in GSC unless they do a lazy job of it. =/

Back