• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Basically, as you've EV'd it at such a low level, it needs to have some small stat gains for a few level-ups, or otherwise it's going to end up with some preposterous speed stat at lv.40, which would be weird.

It's got to gain the points gradually in order to finish up with the right speed stat at lv.100.

Also, if your pokemon has a horrendous speed IV, it's never going to end up as high as you expect it to be.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Right, thanks for the quick answer and explanation. I just want them to have 100 at Speed by level 50 so they're fast for the Frontier! ^_^ That's how the Frontier cuts their stats down right?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think so...well, actually, as far as I can remember, from when I EV'd my Dragonite and it ended up at lv.69 (thing with my friends, don't ask), I learned its IVs. When I went into Battle Tower, I used an IV calculator, checking its' stats against IVs, and it said I needed the EVs I'd given it to get those stats.

Therefore....it keeps the EVs, so no matter what level you get it fully EV'd by, it'll appear as it would have if it was fully EV'd at lv.50

Hope I wasn't too confusing :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    so i just found out about shiny pokemon and it made me wonder what else i should watch out for?

i mean i've only played any pokemon game for a couple weeks now (SS) and might have hit a shiny and knocked it out without knowing.

are there other things i should watch for as i play through my first pokemon game for the first time?

thanks

Years
    so i just found out about shiny pokemon and it made me wonder what else i should watch out for?

i mean i've only played any pokemon game for a couple weeks now (SS) and might have hit a shiny and knocked it out without knowing.

are there other things i should watch for as i play through my first pokemon game for the first time?

thanks

1. shiny pokemon are very very rare. 1/8192 chance of encountering one. don't worry, you wont have missed a shiny in only a couple weeks of playing. anyway, if one appears, even if you're not paying much attention you'll notice it.
    Spoiler:

2. another thing you should watch out for is pokerus. it's a virus for pokemon that's even rarer than shinys are. but it's a good virus. if a pokemon has or had pokerus it will gain double evs (effort values).
    Spoiler:

things to know about pokerus:
    (1) if you have a pokemon with pokerus in your party it will spread to the other party members
    (2) any pokemon in your party at midnight with pokerus will be healed (will no longer be able to spread it, but will still gain double evs).
    (3) any pokemon in your pc at midnight with pokerus will not be affected. they will keep it and still be able to spread and everything. so try to make sure you always have at least one pokemon with pokerus in your pc so that you can continue to spread it.

3. in heartgold/soulsilver, pokemon follow you. sometimes if you talk to a pokemon it wll give you a shiny leaf. there's four different routes each pokemon can gain a leaf on (if you get all four you'll get a crown!), and it's random. there's info somewhere on the net on which routes each pokemon can find shiny leaves on. it's kinda pointless (just like shiny pokemon) but it's pretty rare too, so, like shiny pokemon, it's pretty cool to find shiny leaves on pokemon. it's a nice touch exclusive to hg/ss.

hope this info on what to look out for helps :)
    any questions just ask

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    cool thanks for the tips - especially the virus one. anything special i can do to increase chances of getting pokerus?

ThatOneGuy_21

Dark Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    cool thanks for the tips - especially the virus one. anything special i can do to increase chances of getting pokerus?

I don't think you can improve your chances.
    Getting Pokerus is based on luck.
    If I remember correctly, the chance of encountering a Pokemon infected with Pokerus is about 1/3 of the chance of finding a Shiny Pokemon,
    so make sure you spread it to other Pokemon when you get it.​

Years
    I don't think you can improve your chances.
    Getting Pokerus is based on luck.
    If I remember correctly, the chance of encountering a Pokemon infected with Pokerus is about 1/3 of the chance of finding a Shiny Pokemon,
    so make sure you spread it to other Pokemon when you get it.​

yeah. I've only gotten it like twice in my life (been playing for about 15 years). once when I was little, but I didn't know it was good and thought my pokemon got a virus (bad) and I didn't realize it was good till after I'd lost it. and once the last time I played diamond version; I got it after like 110 hours of playing.

I've been playing heart gold for 211:28 time now and still haven't got it. it's all luck. no way to effect your chances of getting it, either. it is however possible for a pokemon with pokerus to be traded to your game. so if you want it that bad, you can get someone to trade you.

***** in fact I'm feeling pretty generous right now :) I still have that diamond game, and I have like over 100 pokemon with pokerus spread to them. I could give you one that's still infected if you'd like, it'd be no problem to me. I don't play it anymore right now and like I said tons of my pokemon have it anyway. pm me if you're interested; a gift to a newbie :)

---------------------------------------

oh yeah I forgot one thing. to get pokerus: you have to defeat pokemon.

if the opposite pokemon has pokerus (there's no way to know) and you defeat it, your pokemon might get it. the way you know is next time you heal at a pokecenter, the nurse will tell you that you got pokerus.

then if you look at the status screen of that pokemon (and any infected pokemon) there'll be a pink box with PKRS on it.

if you accidentally leave an infected pokemon in your party at midnight: a pokemon healed from pokerus will have a smily face in place of that box.

Last edited:
    Years
    Urm, I don't think Ampharos want to EV no more. I'm EVing and it even has a Power Anklet, but it only went up by 1 Speed point e_o It's level 36 with 63 at Speed. Help?

You have to fight specific Pokemon to gain specific EVs.

For example, if you want to gain more speed EVs, you only fight Pokemon that will give you that benefit. If the Pokemon you are fighting only gives you Sp Atk benefits (as an example) then your speed EV won't increase as much as you'd like it to.

123wert50

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Hi, I was at GameStop and so I bought this book called the Pokedex. It said you could get Groudon/Kyogre in it. I was wondering how you got the orbs.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Once you've defeated Red on Mount Silver, go visit Mr. Pokemon. He will give you an orb, red or blue depending on your version. Then go to Route 47, use the bottom exit of the Cliff Cave, surf until you find a place to use Rock Climb, then go in the cave up there. You'll encounter either Groudon (SoulSilver) or Kyogre (HeartGold).

To get the other one, you have to trade. Once you have both, go visit Professor Oak in his lab in Pallet Town. He'll give you the Jade Orb. Then, go back to Embedded Tower (where you found Kyogre/Groudon), and you'll be able to capture Rayquaza.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I have a friend who already obtained the Enigma Stone from the August event. Could they share that wondercard with me since I didn't get it?
    Yes you can. If your friend has the Wonder Card, they can use DS Wireless Communication to send the card over to your game.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    When soft resetting for a shiny starter it will show on the screen when you are still selecting a starter if it is shiny or not.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When soft resetting for a shiny starter it will show on the screen when you are still selecting a starter if it is shiny or not.
    I've heard no from others who have tried (though second-hand accounts, so...) The only way to tell is to check it on the status screen after you receive it.

Years
    Hi, I was at GameStop and so I bought this book called the Pokedex. It said you could get Groudon/Kyogre in it. I was wondering how you got the orbs.
    You get the Blue Ord in HeartGold or the Red Orb in SoulSilver from Mr. Pokémon after getting the National Pokédex and the Kanto starters from Professor Oak.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I've heard no from others who have tried (though second-hand accounts, so...) The only way to tell is to check it on the status screen after you receive it.
    I have heard the opposite myself from many people though. =p Unlike any other game (idk about B&W though), they will (supposedly) show up as shiny when you choose them rather than only once you get it and look at the status screen. Which makes SRing a faster process if you don't mind which starter you get as you can check 3 at once.

Years
    On my way to Mahogany. I've learned that the gym battle is a tag battle, ripe with flying and dragon-type pkmn. I've been doing well so far, relying on my (now lv 41) Typhlosion. I haven't done any hardcore training, just leveling as I go along the game. His stats are 86, 85, 95, 84 and 110. He knows cut, ember, flame wheel and lava plume. Would he be a match for them, or am I better off taking some time to raise some other pkmn-type?

Back