• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hiding the truth

Sirfetch’d

I've hid the true me for a while now. And I don't mean that as in I've been fake, but I've kept a lot of things I should have been sharing to myself instead of being dishonest to my friends and family. So basically do you feel like you show who you really are or do you keep a lot of things about yourself hidden?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    There are some things I'll keep hidden to myself because it doesn't affect anyone but myself or 1 other person. So as long as that 1 other person knows the truth, I'm fine and I can move on.

Otherwise I'm an honest person but I'm conflicted. My honesty will often offend other people because my honest opinions are too brash. For this reason, I sometimes like to keep my opinions a secret until someone actually asks me for it. Then I can't be blamed for sharing my "brash" or "offensive" opinions.

pkmin3033

Well, the entire concept of truth is down to the individual perspective; it isn't something that can be nailed down and quantified as an absolute. I prefer to let people determine what is true for them unless they ask me something, in which case I will give it to them as I see it. I prefer not to disclose my own perspective of truth unasked, because I realize that it isn't shared by the vast majority of people, and because I'm not really in the mood to justify or defend myself when I have no need to. I gain nothing by being honest if honesty is to throw all of my opinions in other people's faces. People just don't need to know these things. If they WANT to know, I don't mind telling them, but otherwise? Nope.

I don't see my reticence as dishonesty; I simply don't volunteer information, because a) my life is not that interesting and people probably don't want to know anyway, and b) it only causes arguments when I do, because we inevitably disagree. I prefer to leave people to their own deductions and delusions, as I prefer to be left to my own. If people think something is true and I don't, even if it is in relation to myself, why should I contradict them?

I am nothing more or less than myself: my thought processes and opinions, whilst they might affect my personality, do not stop me showing that personality to others. It's enough for people to know what I am like; they don't need to know the WHY of things as well. There is no discrepancy, in short, between who I believe I really am and what I show other people. The only thing that differs is the interpretation, and in all things - my own personality included - my interpretation is no more or less valid than anyone else's. Some people might say I'm quite a confident person. I would say I was an arrogant person. Same idea, different words, different spin on things. It isn't for me to contradict something like that just because I might not agree with it...after all, there are always parts of ourselves that we never want to recognize. Taking that into account, I think we all hide the truth (if such a thing does exist in an absolute form) inadvertantly, as in hiding it from ourselves we will hide it from others as well.

The truth shall make ye fret, as they say.

Years
  • How much I am myself depends on who I'm with. The better I know and trust someone the more open I am with them and the more of me they get. I naturally hold myself back when around people I don't know well. I don't think there's anything dishonest about this and I think everyone does it. Everyone has views that conflict with those of other people. Unless you want to accidentally offend someone it's better to err on the side of caution. When you know someone better it's easier to disagree on fundamental topics without offending or jeopardising relationships.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Well, the concept of one hiding "their true self" is impossible; the majority of your personality traits are gonna be there no matter how hard you try. However, if you mean hiding dreams, desires and that kind of stuff; i'm generally a very private and reserved person.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Well there are a few things about me that are hidden yes, cause revealing them isn't important at all in my opinion

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • I keep my values and emotions hidden from my family. I just found dealing with family easier from doing that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I show people what I want them to see, so I guess I do hide some of who I am to some people. Some people I'm more myself around than others. But I'm never not myself.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Lately, I've been pretty open about showing who I really am. I went through a depressive state because I wasn't being true to myself. :/ I mean, I know the whole 'mask thing' works for some, but it never once worked for me. I wasn't happy with myself.

Years
  • I don't talk about my home life with my friends, and I don't talk about my social life with my family.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I'm pretty open with who I am. I used to hide stuff a lot in the past because I was always made fun of for my interests but I learned to not care (I'm still working on it though). I like what I like, they like what they like, nothing wrong with either side.
    As far as lying and honesty, I'm very blunt with how I feel about certain things and people so I don't hold back. I always end up hurting people's feelings but I don't like sugar coating things, beating around the bush and dragging things on. I hate liars, so I try my best not to lie to anyone either.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Some say hide I say keep to myself. There are just some things I rather keep to myself and I don't feel as though I'm hiding anything that's hurting me in anyway. I'm just private about some things and that's all really. How I am with other people depends how comfortable. I'm obvs not full blown myself when with people I don't know well.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd say I'm pretty closed off at this point in my life, I've a lot going on and I can't really seem to get my head straight at the moment. There are a few things that I'm hiding to myself that I would like to share with friends and family, but it's kinda difficult given the circumstances right now.

Years
  • I show people the parts of my life that I'm comfortable with them seeing.
    So I guess very few people really know me as my truest self. Honestly PC people get pretty damn close though, I don't hide much on PC.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't hide anything as such, but I go for a relevance system. I'm not going to go out of my way to tell you things about myself so that you can get to know me, but I will tell you anything whatsoever should it become relevant to a conversation.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I'm very honest, I just can't lie which I guess is a good thing. But the problem with that is I'm not scared to give my opinion no matter how controversial or hurting it may be, I don't like to beat around the bush so I just don't care if it's unpopular. Some things I'll always keep to myself but that's just small stupid stuff.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • all doors and windows are closed to family and friends except the wife :) shes the only one who has ever seen the real me. good and bad

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I hide many things about myself, simply out of fear others will hate me for who I am. I often feel as if everyone is out to get me and such.. my perceptiveness of others can turn 180 on me when I falsely perceive that others dislike me.

Back