• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hilbert & Hilda Discussion

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    I really liked the designs of the main character this time round. Hilberts hair is very stylish as i see boys my age walking around high school campus with his hair style, and Hilda is also, seeing how she has rather large hair. And you know what they say; "the higher the hair, the closer to god". XD XD

So yeah. I REAALLLYYYY like their designs. But their names are just so ugly. D;

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Their names are okay. There, I said it.
    I don't think it suits them that much but, it's not awful.
    I love the characters themselves though. They look brilliant. xD;

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Wow, those names are a joke. But oh well, must get used to them. Doug & Whitney would be perfect choices for them. I was expecting the girl to be Whitlea (sp?) but that is nowhere close.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like their designs, especially the guy's, due to the Jaden Yuki resemblance, but I hate the names. GF should've come up with better names.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Jett and Candie would have been AWESOME! :D

Even though they seem to be adult/Nordic names, I love them. Why? They both mean battlers which is what Trainers are in Pokemon. And these two are Trainers :)

The designs are the best so far. A guy wearing a hoodie! :D Only problem is that I would have switched the light and dark blue on the jumper around. Hilda is HAWT! And I now like short-shorts xD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'm perfectly fine with the names and designs, but I think that Jett and Gwen would have been amazing names imo. :(

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    The names are so weird... :x Their designs are coolsauce though. The girl is just win, and the guy is pretty cool too. Although, his face when you go into big battles (ie. gym leaders) is kinda... scary. :x

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The names haven't grown to me yet, but the designs have always been pretty neat. I just can't picture a "Hilbert and Hilda" as the protagonists and to be honest, I expected more city like names for them. However, since I've named the female protagonist as the nickname I want, I barely see the set names for them so it's all good. d("d)

The only time I have seen Hilbert was when he became my partner for the Battle Subway but other than that, they aren't a big role depending on the protagonist you play as.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I refuse to acknowledge, let alone use those names, so I stick with the Japanese ones. About the designs, I like Touko's, but... Every male design has been terrible in my opinion, and the new one keeps true to the tradition. So there I am, using the other gender as my player like I did back in the third generation.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Hmm, Blanchard does not mean White in Frence, Blanc (as in Mont. Blanc) and blanche (some circumstances) DO.

Blanche is feminized white; Blanchard hails from that, and technically comes from the root word meaning "white".

Just as I'm sure Corvin doesn't really mean White Castle. Would you go around calling the restaurant "Corvin" from now on? I don't think so. It comes from some root word in old English surely, just as names come from root words.

Irene means peace, but I'm pretty sure that when the Greecians talk, they don't actually use "irene" in that context. It's derived from Greek somewhere, and it's them that came up with the name, just as Blanchard comes from Blanc which is French, and they added their nifty "hard" to the end to make it a name. It still means "white", but you can't go around saying "La neige est blanchard" because that makes absolutely no sense. It's a pronoun with a derivational meaning, not a noun that can be used as an adjective in itself.

Everyone's names have a meaning, but that doesn't mean that their names can be used in a formal context. It's just derived from something that means x long ago (or even to-date) and being used as a pronoun.

Spoiler:

Tox

fight me
    Years
    I think the designs are pretty good overall. They don't have anything too abnormal that could cause people to hate them yet they're not boring either. Their names completely suck though. I don't mind Hilda that much but the name Hilbert is terrible. There are so many good names out there so I don't see why they'd go with something so awful.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years

Blanche is feminized white; Blanchard hails from that, and technically comes from the root word meaning "white".

Just as I'm sure Corvin doesn't really mean White Castle. Would you go around calling the restaurant "Corvin" from now on? I don't think so. It comes from some root word in old English surely, just as names come from root words.

Irene means peace, but I'm pretty sure that when the Greecians talk, they don't actually use "irene" in that context. It's derived from Greek somewhere, and it's them that came up with the name, just as Blanchard comes from Blanc which is French, and they added their nifty "hard" to the end to make it a name. It still means "white", but you can't go around saying "La neige est blanchard" because that makes absolutely no sense. It's a pronoun with a derivational meaning, not a noun that can be used as an adjective in itself.

Everyone's names have a meaning, but that doesn't mean that their names can be used in a formal context. It's just derived from something that means x long ago (or even to-date) and being used as a pronoun.

Spoiler:
    I didnt really think about the roots of the words. But I speak french too, fluently.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    The only time I have seen Hilbert was when he became my partner for the Battle Subway but other than that, they aren't a big role depending on the protagonist you play as.

Wise guy said:
    The mountain can't flaw my argument, so it repeats what I say in a funny voice

This, this, and a thousand times this ^. You only see the name on one specific occation, why does the name matter?
    (I've got The100megashock with me on this one, woo!)

I'd rather complain about how people actually decide to battle on a high-speed subway, but then again I'd prefer shouting the name "Hilda" under those intense/dangerous moments over some japanese name I can't pronounce properly despite studying Japanese for two years >:[

Also, have some battle subway art. ^^
    Hilbert & Hilda Discussion

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've always hated the "pockets sticking out of the bottom of your shorts" style for girls. Even before seeing Hilda, I always said that if you were going to wear shorts THAT short, you should have to deal with the consequences of having no pockets. It just looks tacky, and accentuates the fact that the girl is wearing shorts WAY too short, if a normal pocket can't even fit inside them.

Therefore, I really don't like her design. It's stylish I guess, but it's a style I hate.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I noticed when she throws the ball, the animation is a bit funny around the shorts - white stuff. I guess that's the pocket problem; never really noticed that her shorts where that short until recently ~_~

Back