• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How important is the level you catch a pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    I always try to catch a pokemon I want at the lowest level possible, because I've heard it's better that way, but how much difference will it really make if I catch a pokemon at lvl 19 instead of lvl 17?

(Sorry I'm new to this)

Years
    Kind of depends. If you're just running through the game like most folks, it's fine. It saves you time. I'm way lazy so the higher the better I say.
    That being said...
    If you're going for competitive battling, EV training and some of the more advance aspects then lower levels give you more time to build up all the stats you want, customize movesets and all that good stuff. Of course Platinum makes things easier as far as that is concerned like the Move Relearner in Pastoria.
    Two levels though? I wouldn't worry about it.
    Worry about good team building first and foremost. You can always go back and get a new competitive team if you want.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I remember when I used to think this, but the Pokémon will get its EV's 'n stuff by level 100 I'm sure, so they'll be the same really (if they were exact clones or something, I haven't taken into account which EV's, IV's, etc.).

Gimmepienow

Man-Eating Diglett!
    Years
    It's always best to start from the lowest level practically possible to get the most ideal EV growth. But 2 levels like what you said won't make too much difference.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
    To me catching a pokemon isn't about level. I go for pokemon that I want on my team for that run of my game. I always train up so levels aren't a big issue for me. I figure if I catch a pokemon at say level 17 and my goal is a team of level 20's at that time it just makes training easier otherwise I say bring on the challenge of training the pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Personally, I don't think it matters (espically if it's a rare Pokemon). If the possible levels you can catch it at are like 11-15, I always go for the higher level though.

Tbird

Don
    Years
    It doesn't really matter at all I'd say. Because as long as you train the pokemon right you'll get your desired EV's. There are also Items that help EV growth* so you could catch a pokemon level 50 and as long as you only battle the pokemon that give you the specific EV's needed you'll be fine (say you wanted your infernape to be attack driven, then you could train it against a Gallade which gives 3 attack EV's + power brace = 12 EV's [and luckily there is a gallade in the platinum E4 :p]) Also Pokerus will give your pokemon extra EV growth, I've never had a pokerus pokemon so I couldn't tell you how it exactly affects EV growth but I think it doubles EV growth.

Sorry I got a bit carried away, but basically the answer to your question is no in my opinion :)

*Items = Power belt, power band, power anklet, power bracer. HP up, Protein, Iron , Carbos, Calcium, Zinc.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    It never really matters to me. If they are a low lv then I can just level them to 100 myself, but if they are a high lv (like 60-70+) then its easier for me to train them.

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
    It really doesn't matter in the least. Effort training does the exact same thing at level 80 as it does at level 1. In the end, if those two Pokemon are identical in IVs and have the exact same effort training, they'll both have the same stats at level 100.

What's fun about level 80 effort training is that you can get all that training done in one level, meaning when you level up from 80-81, you see the awesome stat gains of, like, +28, +30, etc. I love it. XD

- Tyros

BlizzStorm

Darth Hacker
    Years
    i always catch them at lower levels, as it seems it puts me at more of an advantage and i also feel more accomplished when i reach lvl 50+ :).

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    The level that a Pokemon is claimed doesn't really bother me a great deal, since in EV training post-game, I've started EV training them from Level 1.

During the course of the story, it still doesn't really bother me, since I'm likely going to end up training the Pokemon to a specific level anyway. All that it changes is how soon I can conclude that training really, but I'm rather patient when training; I just catch & use.

Pre-Pastoria, it would probably be better to get them at the lowest level possible for moves you want, but missed because they don't have it learned when caught. Though after you reach Pastoria City, it doesn't matter at all.

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    it all depends. i prefer catching lower-leved pokemon so i get to train them a bit more than higher-leveled ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back