• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been playing for?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Pokemon Yellow was the first one I owned and played. Although not long after that my cousin gave me his copy of Pokemon Blue. (and I eventually had Red too but I can't remember how I got it)

Honestly I don't really remember much about what happened when I was playing these games. Obviously I loved them enough to keep playing though.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Started when I was just 9 or 10 when I got my first GB and gold, didn't finish it in time

Rocket-Brendon

The Pokemon Boy!!
    Years
  • I was so excited when I got Pokémon red back in 1998 for Christmas and my sister got blue. I was 13 at the time and everyone at my Junior High were bragging that they got the games for Christmas. I would play secretly during lunch and on the bus on the way home. I love how no game really compares to Pokémon. Many games have a common theme, but Pokémon is original and unique. I am really into Pokémon Go now and how it makes me more active and getting outdoors. I have lost 15 pounds so far and have walked over 50 miles. It is going to be amazing telling everyone how I lost so much weight playing Pokémon.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I have been playing since December 1999, when I got Red and Blue for Christmas (best Christmas ever!)

I believe I was seven at the time, so it has been 17 years O.O Wow, I feel so old...

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Pretty sure I started with LeafGreen in.... 2004 or 2005? Somewhere around there I got the game for my birthday. Not quite as long as a lot of people here who've been playing since the originals, but is still feels like quite a while.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I started with Blue on the 20th of july 1999 (since I got it for my birthday).

I never took any breaks from the series.

What keeps me playing today are of course the new pokemon that are being added every generation and since I always keep a living dex in my box it takes some time to get them all. A new region and story is really exciting too.

When the craze about a new region is gone, I still keep myself busy by replaying the games, often with certain themes (like an avatar challenge, monotype run, fossils/starters only teams etc). I also like to hunt shinies so that keeps me busy as well.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I have been playing since August 1999, so about 17 years ago at this point. I think I first picked up the TCG starter set in July, so I guess I had gotten started with that by this point 17 years ago. I've played Pokemon continuously ever since, though my play time has its ups and downs. I've been playing a little less the past month or two (think I burned out a little bit, plus I just bought a Wii U, so more of my free time has gone to playing that instead), but I'm sure my play time will pick up substantially once the new games release. I don't have as much time to play these days as I used to, but it's still a great hobby. I mainly play Pokemon before bed at night these days, to help wind down and fall asleep.

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • Been playing since Diamond. Not sure when I got it but I think it was a gift from my mother. It was for my 7th birthday in 2009 but may have been in January 2010, not sure. That would've been just under a year before the release of B&W.

There is actually a big chance that I wouldnt even be a pokemon fan by now. Before Diamond I had never been interested in pokemon in the slightest and the gift from my mother was actually one ds game of my choice to go along with everything else she got me, this was so I got to pick atleast one present for myself instead of them all being picked by mom. (The ones she gets me ar always amazing though)

When I went to pick my game I didnt instantly pick Pokemon Diamond as I wasnt sure I would like it (funny looking bat at it now considering Im a very big pokemon fan) however, I didnt like any of the games the store had so I thought Id just give pokemon a go thinoing I might like it a bit and the rest is history so if it wasnt for having such an amazing mother and that store having nothing I liked I may not be here on these forums today or even be a pokemon fan at all :0.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I reckon it was around 2006-8, which was LeafGreen. Before that however, I had a bootleg, which used to be really common back here. I enjoyed playing the game, but I didn't really understand it. But at around 2009, I got Pokemon Emerald (I wasn't aware of the existence of the DS at the time). That was the time I started to get the hang of what Pokemon is, thus I became a fan since then :D

Years
  • Been playing since Diamond. Not sure when I got it but I think it was a gift from my mother. It was for my 7th birthday in 2009 but may have been in January 2010, not sure. That would've been just under a year before the release of B&W.

There is actually a big chance that I wouldnt even be a pokemon fan by now. Before Diamond I had never been interested in pokemon in the slightest and the gift from my mother was actually one ds game of my choice to go along with everything else she got me, this was so I got to pick atleast one present for myself instead of them all being picked by mom. (The ones she gets me ar always amazing though)

When I went to pick my game I didnt instantly pick Pokemon Diamond as I wasnt sure I would like it (funny looking bat at it now considering Im a very big pokemon fan) however, I didnt like any of the games the store had so I thought Id just give pokemon a go thinoing I might like it a bit and the rest is history so if it wasnt for having such an amazing mother and that store having nothing I liked I may not be here on these forums today or even be a pokemon fan at all :0.

Nice story :)

Is Diamond your favourite Pokemon game or have you found others that you prefer?

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • Nice story :)

Is Diamond your favourite Pokemon game or have you found others that you prefer?

No. Probably my second favorite but I think the gen 5 games will always be my favorite or atleast for a very long time. The main reason for this is because I feel Gen 5 had the best story.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well, since I could play on my computer, with the emulators... Only gen 1 was out, so maybe in 1999? I am 23 now so I played all my life :)

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I started with Fire Red shortly after it's release, I think, so 2004? Twelve years. It's been quite a while. I feel, though, that while Fire Red was my first, I live more in Hoenn than Kanto, due to its lushness.

Years
  • I started with RBY in the late 1990s, got almost every main series game on release since except for ORAS since I was away on vacation at the time. Almost crazy thinking that I've been a Pokémon fan for 2/3 of my life now... The franchise is really dear to me, it's helped me through some rough patches.

Back