• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How open are you about Pokemon?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    How open are you about your love for the Pokemon franchise?
    • Completely comfortable, as in you'll wear your merchandise for the world to see, and would talk to anyone about it.
    • You're not completely out there, but if someone asks you about it, you aren't afraid to start a conversation about it.
    • Your don't feel comfortable talking about it.
    • You're not completely out there, because of shyness, embarrassment, not wanting others to judge you.

Of course there are other options, so you don't have to pick from one of the ones above.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • Same as colours, pretty much. Pokemon has been one of the longest franchises I've been a fan of, and I really have no problem with people finding that out. I even have a Pokemon keychain and picture attached to my college ID, and I wear that nearly every day of the week.

Years
  • Yeah same here, If somebody asks me about Pokemon I'll be more than happy to discuss it with them but if they judge me then that's just there opinion and I couldn't care less. I don't really have any Pokemon merchandise to wear out although a new Pokemon shop did just open in London today so I'll have to check it out sometime.

Years
  • Some of my friends know I am or at least know I used to be a fan, but I don't really talk about it much. Now with Go being out it seems to be more accepted to be into pokemon. I won't hide or deny it per se, but I'm not going to be the one bringing it up in conversation.

I do have a few friends that are also into pokemon (and I mean not just Go), so with them I do talk freely about it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I actually still don't feel comfortable talking about it. I might even sometimes pretend I don't know as much as I do about pokémon. It's so deeply ingrained in me to pretend to not be a nerd :/ pretty weird tbh. At least I don't have to hide it from my boyfriend haha, he's just as bad as I am or worse <333

Years
  • I don't usually openly broadcast it, but that's more out of an interest in not making myself a target for harassment by morons who think it's cool to harass adults who happen to be interested in Pokemon than of being ashamed of it in any way.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • It's become a lot easier to be more open about liking Pokémon ever since Pokémon Go exploded hahaha. Like buying Pokémon merch isn't as...difficult, people are talking about Pokémon again, etc. But then it's still interesting because there's a divide between the three groups of people playing Pokémon Go: those who used to play Pokémon as a kid and have now come back, those who didn't play Pokémon before (so whose first Pokémon touchpoint is Go), and those who still play Pokémon. So even though Pokémon Go has made Pokémon 'mainstream' again, not many of those people are still active in the main games so it's still a bit difficult to be super open about it I reckon. And I do find myself 'censoring' my knowledge out of habit ("oh wait what's this Pokémon?? halp pls i really do not know")

But regardless, if someone asks then I say that I play. I don't openly broadcast it either as others have said.

Years
  • I find it quite easy talking about Pokemon to anyone. So many people have had exposure to it so anyone could relate to Pokemon. I find it difficult though to talk about how I have a youtube channel dedicated to Pokemon. That for me has been something I'm still trying to get used to :/

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • Being from a generation who were all in love with Pokémon when it surfaced, and then suddenly everyone was hush-hush about their continued enjoyment of the franchise during their teen years, and were suddenly loud and proud Pokémon fans once our college years hit... lol

I don't flaunt my love for Pokémon around like a badge of honor or anything but I'm not afraid to talk it about it (bring it up even). I don't shy away from the fact that I love and always have loved Pokémon and I'm willing to talk about it to pretty much anyone. I don't see any shame in it, especially considering that I've been a fan since Gen I was all we knew. At the very least, I can talk about that with some of my fellow old fogies who never kept up with the franchise. lol

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    I'm not shy about it at all. I mean, I'm not going to go up to everyone trying to start a conversation about Pokemon, but if someone was to ask me or bring it up, I totally wouldn't mind talking about it.

I've come to learn that Pokemon is one of those things that a lot of people aren't too shy about - at least not in the sense of denying the fandom completely.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I used to pretend I only knew about half as much as I actually did about the franchise, but I have become really open now. I still wouldn't go around and tell everybody I come across, but when somebody asks, I don't see a reason to hide. All my friends know I'm a fan, some of them have even come to me for advice on their Pokémon's move sets. :]

Years
  • I used to be shy about it but nowadays I really don't care. I'll attach that Pikachu keychain to my phone or buy a Pokémon phone case without problems. Sometimes I can be a little to myself, but that's because of my personality by nature and not because I'm ashamed to be a fan at all lol. Helps that some of my irl friends still love it also!!

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Wayyy more open about it since pokemon go release, but still hiding my superior knowledge of mechanics when battling my friends/family in the regular games.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I'm pretty open about it. I don't hide it but I don't go out decked in full Pokemon attire either if you catch my drift. I see no reason to avoid showing my love for Pokemon. There are adults all over the place that are obsessed with Fantasy Football, and no one finds that creepy or childish. Why would Pokemon be any different?

SeventhDawn

Uncompromising Worth
    Years
  • Well...I'm somewhat open about it. I'm surrounded by conservatives that still hail it as evil. So no comfort there. I've yet to meet others who do like it, but I don't know anyone. Especially around my age. Luckily, there's my brother I can talk to about it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I likely won't bring Pokemon up but if I hear someone or people talking about it I will join in. I don't have any Pokemon clothing or items, although I did see a shirt that I would've bought if there were any left because it was only $7.50 and a lanyard I might've bought if I had money on me at the time. My mom would think it's weird and childish for me to wear them but I wouldn't be afraid to wear them in any casual setting.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • While most people are pretty open whenever someone asked about it or by their own will, myself feels that it's not comfortable to talk with someone that doesn't even know about it aka. jumping in the trend since GO (it would be like talking to a living dummy with the only response "yes, yeah, k" if I would speak out loud). At least in my place, where people still believes that they contain religious content (well, it's an obvious nonsensical troll in social medias) and may be against me and the franchise if I even talk about it, so I like to get my mouth shut and only talk to several people that I know to be serious about hearing fun facts and stuff.

I know I'm not the only one, there might be several of you out there doing the same. Either way, I wouldn't really care if I get the choice to use their brand of some sort but with that condition intact, I rather not and be like a normal looking person.

Back