• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I shall name thyself...

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
Years
  • often, i consult a baby names website and go after the most "unusual" sounding ones, like nordic or celtic names, african, or south-east asian names. but i don't only go after "unusual-sounding," though, as i also consult the meanings behind the names and see if they fit the character. if i'm too lazy, though, i just end up naming my (female) characters "meme" or "renee."

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Default names or canon names, if not it's me thinking for several hours as to what to name them and then go onto naming them something horrible.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
  • When it comes to old Final Fantasy games, I just keep the default name. When it comes to other RPG'S I pick either Gana or Apollo

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    If I'm really into something at a time, I name myself after it. Like, on my copy of Pokemon X, I named myself Jonathan, as in Jonathan Joestar, the first protagonist from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I was going to play through it several times and harvest up Mega Stones and name myself after a different JoJo each time.

For something more original, I named myself Coatlicue in Y (my main sixth-gen game) after the randomly-generated name I got in Legend of Mana when I played that, er, about a year ago at this point.

The last time I used my real name was for Black 2. Oftentimes, also, I'll name myself for my usual online alias (phyresis), which is what I did for my most recent Final Fantasy run (which technically is for a rebalance -- I named my party Phy, BSul, Trel, and Kuma -- everyone else after folks I know on the internets). But honestly, outside of Pokemon games, I haven't played a whole lot of games where I can change my name -- I've been playing a lot of platformers instead.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • If there is a default name, i will keep it 90% of the time.
    When it comes to RPG, i usually try picking a name that fits the setting/era the game takes place in
    And when its just a "regular" game i chose either my own or Ernesto xD

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I used to change names when I was younger but now I just keep the Default names.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Pretty much what Zorogami said - usually I'll keep the default/cannon name if there is one (although in most Pokemon games, I'll just pick the female character and use my own name even if they have one). In RPGs I'll pick a name that fits the character's race and setting best so that they 'blend in' the game.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • Generally if it's an online game then I stick with my usual online name - eleck7.

Otherwise I generally name my character after my first name. I do end up naming my character rubbish sometimes though.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • If it's online I use the same generic name that I always use for my accounts and then change it later on if I can, but just naming an in game character I choose defaults or type in some random letters and try to make a name like I did for Skyrim.
    "Jormandur Crosroc de Janiul"

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • This actually brings me to one question...
    Do you guys mind using numbers in your character's name?
    I actually don't like using numbers in names... I don't mind it in nicks, though.

Generally I'm fine with using numbers. It feels perfectly natural to use the same username that I had for 6 years even if it had numbers.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    If it's a single player game I name myself Ryudo as it's always been my favourite name and it feels rather 'adventurous', then for online games I usually got for some derivative of it (ie Ryudo Squirrel in LoL) or often just AlexOzzyCake or Squirrel. Honestly I don't care too much about what the player's name is, but when it's only a few seconds to type and I can take my usual character on yet another amazing journey I'm more than happy to do it.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • In Pokemon games, I always pick a different name, and the only time I used my real name was my first FireRed playthrough. I dislike using my real name in games, because I'm not the player character and don't feel like the player character. I'd rather make them their own person.

In games where you do play a sort-of self-insert, I use my online nickname instead. I much prefer Harmony to my actual, given name.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I'm so boring when it comes to naming my in-game characters/Pokemon/anything, genuinely no creativity at all.

In Pokemon at least I just call my character Mike, cos, y'know, das mah name.

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
  • i used the name korrin for a really long time and i just go with that for my female characters. ^^

but with males i usually call them something dreamy, like sebastian or julien. cx

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I keep the default name if there is one, and I'll even go to alternate sources to find a "canon" name. (For example, my Persona 3 character is always Minato/ko Arisato, after the manga. And I was disappointed that his name was changed for the movies. :() If that's not possible, I try to think of a name that fits the character.

If the character is customizable, like in Mass Effect or TES, I'll name them whatever my "favorite" name is at the time. Over the years, I've had many names that I defaulted to when I needed to name something, though only ever one at a time. Right now, it's Kestrel. I originally came up with it while playing Baldur's Gate, since the one I was using before really, really didn't fit the PC and I felt that Kestrel did, but I've discovered I actually really, really like that name. (I like the bird too.)

But if it's a male character or if there are more than one, I have to get creative. For example, in Strange Journey, my MC is Lucien Frost. And in games like Etrian Odyssey or Disgaea (for the generic characters anyway), I usually just toss together some syllables until I get something I like, or just give them random names I like. I've used Kieran in both of those, I think, and I've got a Mina in Disgaea.

And I name my Pokémon characters whichever version of their names I like best: FRLG is Red, HGSS is Kotone, B/W is either Touko or White, etc.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • In story oriented games I'll usually use my real name. For example, in any given Pokemon game or Final Fantasy game (in which you can name your character, thank you crapfest 12-13: Lightning Returns), the male character is always named Tim.

However, for the multiplayer spectrum I use my username "Byoubyanese" for everything.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I go with the name everyone else goes with, or I just name them after my friends. I don't like using my real name in game.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I usually like to use default names for most RPGs, but if there isn't one, I use Carter for males and Melty for females.

I have always liked the name Carter. As for Melty, I got the name from some trivia that states that there was an unused character in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance named Melty. Her stats became those of the reinforcement Pegasus Knights that Tanith calls.

Back