• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I shall name thyself...

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • I shall name thyself...

Probably one of the most important parts of the game, naming yourself in a video game can either be excruciatingly difficult or very, very simple. Do you stick to a certain name constantly in video games? What's the craziest name you gave one of your characters? Have you ever named your character and then immediately regretted it? Discuss!

I usually shuffle between Lance, Noel, and Kirito when it comes to my character. Lance because I've always loved the Elite 4 member Lance in Pokemon Yellow, and Kirito after I had finished watching Sword Art Online. I don't exactly know why I use Noel, but for some reason I constantly use that name for all of my Legend of Zelda games xD

TY

I always went for ShadowE for my first character in every single game that I played, and for the characters following I usually pick a random name. I never regretted using my nickname for my first character, but I had names in the past for my second character which I kinda regretted haha.

Years
  • I'm notorious for choosing names that sound pretty, but then I end up regretting it 5 minutes later ;-; This is particularly one of the reasons why I spent up to an hour customizing my character because I have no idea what to name them...There hasn't been a name that has stuck with me throughout different games so I can't say that I have certain names that I will always use. With games that already have preset ones, but still allow the player to change it, I keep the default one. But ones with full customization, especially MMOs, I have an obscenely hard time coming up with a name.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I just name all my characters Jack. I never knew why I did it, but I've kept using that name for over 7 years now. It just popped into my head one day and I've stuck with it ever since xD

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Most of the time when I play video games, I tend to name Mandolore, or sometimes just Mando. I recall that one MMO I played, I named my character after a Marvel Comics villain and added a random number after it. I don't think I have given any characters that I have played as any names that I have regretted later.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I usually suck at coming up with names for anything. A lot of the time I either name characters after myself or another character or just completely random ♥♥♥♥. Though often times I use Stella or Elsa for female characters. At least I have Salt&PepperDiner now...

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    If it's online/multi-player, so other people would see it, I usually stick with Alessa. Occasionally I'll use some variation of Cupil, from Skies of Arcadia, because he's just so cute<3

If it's a completely solo game, or if I'll just be playing with my sister or some other close friend/relative, I typically go with my childhood nicknames, Weasel and Bambi. :3

For either, I will occasionally use puns if they can apply to my character. For poops and giggles.

As far as regretting my name choices... I've only ever regretted not coming up with a fitting pun when naming my character. I'm usually content on falling back to the options listed above, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it depends on the character. If it's female, then I'll name her after myself—Ashley. If it's male or anything else, then I'd go with some simple terms, such as Sky, Easy, Walk, and Always. :]

Yukari

Gosh I HATE naming characters! I usually go with a default name. (When they're available.) But when I have to come up with a name I usually go with my real name. You know, Jonathan.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I always use the name Arc or variations of it, for males. While I use the name Arcaia, for females. Started this back in 2011, and have been sticking with it ever since.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I never struggle to name my character. I always go with Slayr231. If numbers aren't allowed, then I just go with Slayr. If the character is a reptilian creature, I might go with Nolafus depending on my mood.

Years
  • I stick with the same name usually! Pretty much always "Janna", my real name, since anything else feels.. weird. I've tried tinkering with other names but every time awkwardness ensues because it's too different. Can't see myself changing that.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • In games where the character has a canon name (such as Tidus in FFX or Link in LoZ) I use that name - except in Pokemon. In Pokemon, and in other games, I usually wind up just using my own name.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • ^ pretty much what Morkula said.

If it's a boy character with no female, I usually just keep the original name or name him something else I can think of. If it's a female, than I name it Kimi since that's the name that most people know me as.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I for the life of me cannot think of names, especially female names. I ended up named my female character Tomato Soup in Pokemon Y, and idk, I kinda like it, so if space permits, I'll try to use that name from here on out. And it's not exactly a feminine name, so I wouldn't feel guilty naming a guy Tomato Soup.

Back