• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: I want to explore Ultra Space

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
this seems like a great way to expand the existing storyline / build on an element introduced in Sun & Moon. I really enjoyed the Distortion World puzzles in Platinum, and this is a similarly interesting alternate dimension, so I'm hoping we'll have at least some modicum of exploration in Ultra Space, rather than it basically just being the backdrop to the climactic cutscene.

thoughts?

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
YES.

That's it. I'm fine with the number of UBs introduced but I want their backstories. Does Kartana cook on the weekend and have Guzzlord eat it? Is Celesteela an engineer? How about a douchy Buzzwole hitting on a Pheromosa after he goes to the gym? And all those Nihilego living their regular lives while Xurkitree terrorizes the electric company.

joking aside, ultra space exploration will be a good thing for UB story expansion.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I hope so too. Hopefully the need for armored Solgaleo and Lunala (assuming that's what the mascots are) is hinting at further exploration of Ultra Space.

Years
I felt Ultra Space was very underutilised in Sun & Moon, since its only purpose was showing Solgaleo and Lunala's connection to Ultra Beasts and as the setting for the final showdown with Lusamine.

Considering that US/UM's title suggest Ultra Beasts may play a bigger role, I do hope we get to see more of Ultra Space get utilised this time around.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I hope this happens. I have hoped from the beginning that Nihilego would be the game's final villain, this would be a great opportunity.

blue

gucci
Years
It would be sooo cool to have them link the Ultra Space to the Distortion World through time travel or alternate dimensions. I'd say there's a good chance we'll see more of the Ultra Space in these games supposing that the focus is around the Ultra Beasts.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 22, 2019
Yes please. We only got to see a small area of the Ultra Space. Exploring some more of it would be fantastic.

Sirfetch’d

Definitely a concept that I'd be OK with. The Ultraworld was so cool, but could have been so much more.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I'm sure the whole purpose of the games is to expand on the Ultra Space idea. I just hope they decide to do more with it, unlike Platinum which was just a mere holding ground for Giratina. Wild Encounters would be excellent!

pkmin3033

I'd love something like this, but it seems rather unlikely to me. Why didn't Game Freak do this in the first place in the originals? There's plenty of opportunity that existed to explore Ultra Space in its fullest, and we could've done so during our encounter with Lusamine there. Heck, the Lusamine encounter could've been more of a throwback to Distortion World and we could've been forced to go through a labyrinth of sorts before facing her. Why didn't Game Freak go for this option?
Because the originals were rushed out for the 20th Anniversary, no doubt.

Although I honestly can't see this happening either...and I'm not entirely sure it would be a good thing if it did, unless they decide to make UBs like other wild Pokemon and let you encounter them at every turn, maybe. As amazing as Platinum's Distortion World was, there was nothing there. It was very pretty to look at, but running through it wasn't the most exciting thing in the world. A repetition of that in this generation is the last thing that Pokemon needs - if we get to explore Ultra Space, it needs to be engaging and more involving than just being somewhere new with lots of weird visuals and pretty colours. I have very little faith that Game Freak could make something good out of it.

pkmin3033

What do you feel would make an exporable Ultra Space more engaging to players?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Well, I can think of likely scenarios, but they're not original ones, because they're what Game Freak resorts to literally every time when it comes to plot-significant locations.

The most likely scenario I can envision is that it becomes a Distortion World-esque labyrinth and the focus is on the exploration/platforming - which is still a linear sequence which will have to rely heavily on visual appeal, although given that SM had a style-over-substance approach this will probably be engaging for a lot of people - although I can imagine it also turning into an Aether Foundation hideout of sorts, if more than Lusamine and Guzma go through. But that's essentially a gauntlet of grunts, and we get that multiple times in the games as is.

I think what would be most engaging would be to visit Ultra Space more than once, and make it a combination of things - a labyrinth, a gauntlet of grunts towards the end of the game, and a postgame location. Rather than making it a one-off area of the game, make it something fully integrated with the world, that you stumble into multiple times, with its own dangers and puzzles. Maybe make Ultra Wormholes like the Mirage Islands in ORAS, that you can visit once a day for randomly-generated labyrinths, UBs, or even to rescue a hapless NPC that fell in. Variety is often more engaging.

I realise this will rob the UBs of their "special" status, but it's already been established that they are not Legendary Pokemon, and there are multiples of them - I mean, you can catch at least two of the version exclusive ones, and you see multiple Nihilego too.

I also realise that none of this will ever happen. But if GF want to surprise us, they need to do more with Ultra Space than make it a Distortion World throwback or Lusamine's Dungeon.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru

Ultimate Moral Compass
Years
Yes. I'd also like to explore this kind of concept. We've only seen a bit of the Ultra Space in Sun and Moon, and even then, it was only near the end of the story and didn't really answer a lot of questions I had about it.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Exploring the Ultra Dimension will be like a win-lose situation to me.

I think exploring the Ultra Dimension will be AMAZING, but I personally don't like the Ultra-Beasts so there's that :/

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I played Sun before Platinum, and while I was disappointed by how little we got to see of Ultra Space in S/M, I was impressed by how strange and scary the exploration of Distortion World was in Plat! I really hope we'll get to dive deeper into the Ultra Space in versions called Ultra S/M, maybe to catch more Ultra Beasts.

Years
Yeah I'm with Smocks on this one, Ultra Space would be really cool but I'm not the biggest fan of the Ultra Beasts. Plus, if they did include it, I hope they make it really cool, like the Distortion World in Platinum and not just giving us a snippet of it like in SM.

Back