• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I wasn't a big D/P fan, should I bother with Platinum?

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    I got Diamond back on the day it was launched, and it as well as pearl (obviously) are my 2 least favorite Pokemon games to this date. I did, however, love the crap out of Soul Silver/Heart Gold. What are the differences between D/P and Platinum? Should I give the 4th generation a second shot via Platinum?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Hum... well, I rather disliked Pearl but Platinum kept me much more interested. It's got a better storyline imo. I can't recall much for differences 'cause it's been a while since I played either, but I'd say if you didn't completely hate D/P then Pt is a good game much improved. You'd probably like it better, but nowhere near as much as HG/SS.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    Hum... well, I rather disliked Pearl but Platinum kept me much more interested. It's got a better storyline imo. I can't recall much for differences 'cause it's been a while since I played either, but I'd say if you didn't completely hate D/P then Pt is a good game much improved. You'd probably like it better, but nowhere near as much as HG/SS.

It's always more comforting when the positive opinion comes from someone who also didn't care for D/P. I'm really mulling over the purchase in my head now...Maybe I'll play my girlfriends copy for just a few minutes without saving first.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    As EA said, Platinum has an improved storyline over D/P. More Pokemon have been added to the Sinnoh Dex and the plot got tweaked in a few places; they also added the Distortion World (a place that makes the most out of the game's 3D capabilities).

Edit: There's also a more expanded Battle Frontier post-game too.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    That, and if you disliked DP for more technical reasons too to varying degrees (e.g. slow surf speed, inability to navigate backwards with the Poketch, etc) stuff like that got fixed in Platinum. And a better choice of Pokemon (certainly more options, fire types are not lacking, etc), better story (but note for the most part the story is similar) and more to do (Battle Frontier! Although note this is largely the same as HGSS' - just different Pokemon). But it would not be a bad idea to check it out on your girlfriend's version first all the same and see what you think of it.

Years
    I got Diamond back on the day it was launched, and it as well as pearl (obviously) are my 2 least favorite Pokemon games to this date. I did, however, love the crap out of Soul Silver/Heart Gold. What are the differences between D/P and Platinum? Should I give the 4th generation a second shot via Platinum?

You should obviously get Platinum, cos it is a total improvement over D/P.

Platinum has a Battle Frontier, expanded Sinnoh Dex, faster Surfing speed, a backwards button on the Poketch, storyline change and much cooler locations.

Definitely check your GF's version and see what you think.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Play your girlfriend's copy for a bit, definitely. That'll give you a decent idea I suppose. But yeah, I hate DP as well and I wish I had a second copy of Platinum instead of Diamond. Platinum, in my opinion, redeemed Sinnoh and gen IV, along with HGSS of course, and I think it's definitely worth playing over DP. So I'd give it a whirl. It's definitely worth it. Just stay away from DP and the summoner.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Like many have said, you're better off for now, having a taste of platnium before buying the game for yourself. And I think, if you don't try it you may be missing out on something that you'd actually enjoy! I similarly like Syd, I too think Platinum really revived Sinnoh and Gen IV. I personally don't own a copy of Platnium, byt my sister does and I've played it on several occasions and it was great. The small things that irritated you in DP were pretty much solved in Platinum, plus the fresh look on battle always provided for a nice little spin, so I definitely think it's worth trying!

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    Thanks for the opinions. So, is battling any faster at all? In Diamond, it seemed like battles dragged on - almost like there was lag whenever I made a selection.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Everything is faster. Better, too. The dex expansion is nice too, especially if you're not a big fan of the Sinnoh Pokemon. The expansion covers the new evolutions of older Pokemon, and it adds in a few fan-favorites as well (Houndour, Eevee, etc.). Plus, the region seems much more lively in Platinum. Definitely give it a spin.

Back