• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: Improved Field Skills [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

Years
    • Seen today
    Improved Field Skills for v20.1

NOTICE:
    This plugin is now deprecated, and no longer supported. An improved version for Essentials v21.1 has been released, so use that instead if possible. I will leave the download link and installation instructions for this version below for the time being. I may remove these at a later date, however.

-DOWNLOAD LINK-

Installation
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.1)
    • Moved around some code in preparation for the release of the Legendary Breeding plugin.

Note: This update also requires that your Essentials Deluxe plugin is updated to v1.1.

Years
    • Seen today
    It seems that the pbs file "field_skills.text is missing from the download folder

Its supposed to be. The file is automatically created upon compiling the game (which it should automatically do when it detects this plugin).

I can't predict what Pokemon and what movesets are present in each person's game, so instead the plugin is designed to scan your pokemon.txt and pokemon_forms.txt files and write the field_skills file based on that.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I see. Is there any reason why it's not creating the file?
    As I'm compiling, I'm getting this error:

[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.4]

Exception: Errno::ENOENT
    Message: File No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - PBS/Plugins/Improved Field Skills/field_skills.txt not found.

Backtrace:
    [Improved Field Skills] [001] Field Skills.rb:302:in `initialize'
    [Improved Field Skills] [001] Field Skills.rb:302:in `open'
    [Improved Field Skills] [001] Field Skills.rb:302:in `write_field_skills'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Compiler.rb:617:in `compile_all'
    [Essentials Deluxe] Compiler.rb:751:in `main'
    391:Main:29:in `mainFunctionDebug'
    391:Main:18:in `block in mainFunction'
    014:Errors:80:in `pbCriticalCode'
    391:Main:18:in `mainFunction'
    391:Main:45:in `block in <main>'

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Never mind, I created the folder "Improved Field Skills" in Plugins in the PBS folder, and it worked

Years
    • Seen today
    Never mind, I created the folder "Improved Field Skills" in Plugins in the PBS folder, and it worked

Hmm that folder already comes included in the plugin. I think you just dropped the entire download into the "Plugins" folder, instead of into your root folder.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    The issue is with the program I used to extract the compressed files, since the folder is completely empty, my program wasn't extracting that folder. But I could see the folder in there.

Years
    • Seen today
    The issue is with the program I used to extract the compressed files, since the folder is completely empty, my program wasn't extracting that folder. But I could see the folder in there.

Ah, I see. Interesting, that's not an issue I would have foreseen. At least it's easy enough to fix.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2023
    Seem to be running into an issue with field skills being immediately available regardless of whether "HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE" is set to true or false. I have set the move Strength to require the third gym badge, but it is still shown as an option even after doing a full compile, deleting and recompiling the "field_skills" PBS file, and restarting the game without debug mode enabled.

Years
    • Seen today
    Seem to be running into an issue with field skills being immediately available regardless of whether "HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE" is set to true or false. I have set the move Strength to require the third gym badge, but it is still shown as an option even after doing a full compile, deleting and recompiling the "field_skills" PBS file, and restarting the game without debug mode enabled.

Remember that any changes to plugin scripts are only saved upon loading the game in debug mode once. So to get the game to recognize this change, you'd have to first set HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE to "true", save your changes, then load the game in debug mode so that these script changes are applied, exit the game, THEN load the real game to see the in-game effects of this change.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    So, I'm getting this error now

-> Improved Field Skills -> Writing PBS file field_skills.txt......Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at [Essentials Deluxe] Compiler.rb:787 - No such file or directory @ apply2files - Data/power_moves.dat

What would be causing this one?

Years
    • Seen today
    So, I'm getting this error now

-> Improved Field Skills -> Writing PBS file field_skills.txt......Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at [Essentials Deluxe] Compiler.rb:787 - No such file or directory @ apply2files - Data/power_moves.dat

What would be causing this one?

Power Moves is a ZUD file. Do you have ZUD installed?

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    Power Moves is a ZUD file. Do you have ZUD installed?

I do yes! Up to the latest version with Essentials DX. It didn't cause any problems until now, for some reason.

EDIT: Since I had edited my Pokémon PBS file, it is doing a full compile I presume every time. Yet, it doesn't have power_moves genned anymore.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I do yes! Up to the latest version with Essentials DX. It didn't cause any problems until now, for some reason.

EDIT: Since I had edited my Pokémon PBS file, it is doing a full compile I presume every time. Yet, it doesn't have power_moves genned anymore.

Do you have power_moves.txt in your PBS/Plugins/ZUD folder?

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    Do you have power_moves.txt in your PBS/Plugins/ZUD folder?

Yep! I checked and its in there still. Everything is properly placed where it should be.

I had done a recompile recently, and it said it was a "stack overflow", and brought up that file in relation to the plugin. I'll post the entire error log here, and I'll try seeing if the game boots without Improved Field Moves, to see if its a problem on my end, or an error I'm having plugin wise

Improved Field Skills [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

EDIT: It seems to boot up fine without it in, I'm going to try to see if I just needed to remove it first, then retry again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Yep! I checked and its in there still. Everything is properly placed where it should be.

I had done a recompile recently, and it said it was a "stack overflow", and brought up that file in relation to the plugin. I'll post the entire error log here, and I'll try seeing if the game boots without Improved Field Moves, to see if its a problem on my end, or an error I'm having plugin wise

Improved Field Skills [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

EDIT: It seems to boot up fine without it in, I'm going to try to see if I just needed to remove it first, then retry again.

47 plugins is a lot of plugins. It seems very likely to me that multiple different plugins are overwriting something multiple times. Also, your Hotfixes plugin is out of date.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.2)
    • Fixed a small error with the Ready Menu that could cause crashes in certain situations.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.3)

• Added the move Heal Pulse to the HEAL_SKILLS array.
    • Added the following moves to the MISC_SKILLS array, for compatibility with other scripts/plugins that add field effects for these moves:
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
      • (broken link removed)
    • Created a new move array called CUSTOM_SKILLS. This array is used to add moves that can be used through the party menu that have custom effects. The following moves are included by default, with their effects already present within the plugin (thanks to (broken link removed) for the base scripts for these effects).
      • (broken link removed) - Heals 1/4th of the user's HP.
      • (broken link removed) - Heals 1/4th of the entire party's HP.
      • (broken link removed) - Cures the status conditions of the party.
      • (broken link removed) - Allows a party member to relearn a past move.
      • (broken link removed) - Allows the user to Sketch a party member's move.
      • (broken link removed) - Allows the user to see the species of an Egg, or next evolution/move of a Pokemon.
    • Added a plugin setting named CUSTOM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_MOVE to allow you to toggle whether or not a Pokemon needs to know a move found in the CUSTOM_SKILLS in order for that move to appear in the Pokemon's skill menu.
    • Added a new script in the plugin folder named Party Skills that contains all code related to skills that have a direct use within the party menu, rather than performing an action within the overworld. By default, this contains all the code related to HEAL_SKILLS and CUSTOM_SKILLS.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.4)

• Updated the Future Sight party skill so that it is now compatible with new evolution methods used by Gen 9 packs for species introduced in Hisui and Paldea.

Back