• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I actually just stumbled upon something about it, but after I had asked. Of course haha.

I'm beginning to wonder if Pokemon really is heading downhill. I didn't start playing it until two years ago- so I'm not one of the people who only played the original games and hate the rest.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I see nothing wrong with fairy type if it'll bring new balance to the game. Why not? We have dark and ghost and dragon. So why not fairy?
    Wonder if that'll make Clefairy an actual fairy, though ;3~

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    "Fairy" just doesn't seem to fit the concept of Pokemon, in my opinion. It does seem like it'll work for some species, though. I forget the list of confirmed Fairy-types, but I know Jigglypuff will be, and Gardevoir will become Psychic/fairy.

I mean, creatures that are captured and forced to fight each other until they're unconscious. And fairies. ?_?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Fairy type is one of the best additions in a while, lol. Makes much more sense for CleFAIRY to be a FAIRY type, same goes for Jigglypuff and co!!!

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • Yeah, Fairy-type was pretty strange. When I heard all the rumors I figured it would have a different name in English (i.e, Light Type or something). But I suppose it works. I think after all the talk about it even before it was confirmed I wrapped my head around it and was just like, whatever.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Depends on your image of what a fairy actually is, however. I mean.. we have pokemon based on icecreams, mimes, and lawnmowers.. and you say you don't think fairy types suit the pokemon world? The pokemon world is full of fantasy- and I think anything goes as long as the gameplay and design are kept in mind- because that's also one of pokemon's biggest features including versatility and the metagame.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Well, Kura makes a rather valid point, in that it all depends on which type of fairy you're thinking about. Often times the term fairy, (or faerie) was used for a wide variety of magical and mythical creatures. Goblins, for example, could be called fairies.

And yes, Dipu, you are kinda easy to annoy. :}

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • I think it works into the Pokemon world just fine.

I mean, a world with dragons can have fairies too, no?

I suppose.

Still, fairies? I guess it's just a really surprising move to a lot of people, even with the rumors and all. It just doesn't seem like something that we would see from Pokemon, or at least just purely unexpected and stuff. I have no qualms about it though; fairies can stay in my book.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I think it works into the Pokemon world just fine.

I mean, a world with dragons can have fairies too, no?

I suppose it would, though I'm not sure how fairy-types are strong against dragons...

Regardless, if fairy-type Pokémon ends up being a flop, you guys wouldn't catch me dead with one of those, & that includes Sylveon.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • Why not? If the Pokemon in the category are still good, I'd still get em'. And depending on type-match-ups it could be interesting.

...although Fairy-type doesn't sound... very... appealing, I suppose.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I think a fairy type could work out just fine. I just wonder if there's going to be a backstory to the whole new type.

And I can see how fairy would beat dragon.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • They've had backstories to new types before? ._.

I mean, the only new types besides Fairy in all of Pokemon history were Steel and Dark, and their backstories were practically "we were just discovered" and that was it. So I'm not completely sure they'll have backstories.

I've been thinking, and as I look at the Kalos Region again, it looks a lot like places thought to be mythical and/or have significance that seems like it's realistic... but out of a fable or a book, I guess, so it kinda makes sense why they would have Fairy types.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • They haven't. But the last time they introduced a new type was Gen 2. So I feel like there should be a story or something, ya know?

Isn't it supposed to be in France or something? (I haven't really kept up)

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I completely understand having mythical-based creatures. After all, Rapidash is a fire unicorn, Dragonite is a dragon, etc.

Celebi is kind of a fairy, though. I guess I can't complain, considering my team for competitive battling on the showdown server has a Celebi haha.

When I said that it doesn't seem to fit Pokemon well, I was thinking of what the current image of a fairy is. Tiny, flying thing that sparkles.
    Can you imagine two of them fighting each other to the death?
    Hopefully it makes more sense now.

I lost all faith in humanity once I heard about that fairy type.
    I'm not aloooone :D

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • I lost all faith in humanity once I heard about that fairy type.

Aw, come on. That's a bit extreme, don't you think? xD

In all seriousness, I'll live. It's not so bad.

They haven't. But the last time they introduced a new type was Gen 2. So I feel like there should be a story or something, ya know?

Isn't it supposed to be in France or something? (I haven't really kept up)

Mmm, true.

Yeah, but lately, when they showed the region (in spoiler), it seems to take place in other places as well, i.e, there's a place resembling Stonehenge in one part.

Spoiler:

@Slenderman I know, I get it. I guess they'll just broaden the meaning of fairy then? I also imagine that in Japan, fairies are viewed differently.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I think it's really funny that they have that "Noivern" Pokemon, since they only introduced a Fairy type. It seems like creating that Pokemon was done as an "EFF YOU" to the Sound-type enthusiasts, haha!

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I hadn't even thought about what a fairy is thought to be in Japan. Pokemon seems pretty different over there...like it isn't aimed toward children as much as it is in other countries- specifically the anime and manga.

As for sound-types, how many Pokemon really would exist as one? Sure, the Exploud line. Maybe Jigglypuff. But it doesn't seem like an easy thing to design.

Years
  • If we un-Disneyfy our conception of faerie and consider the historical/cultural context of faeries, you might have a different opinion. Maybe they conceive of faeries like those in European/pagan mythology? Like sylphs, undines, gnomes, kind of like elemental spirits and stuff - something I'm sure we're quite familiar with through fantasy RPGs. This opens up the doorway for Shaymin, Jirachi, Manaphy/Phione, and Celebi into being faeries, although some of those involve type changes. Chimecho for sure. Jynx and Woobat lines also seem to be better off Fairy instead of Psychic.

Overall though, I do find the fairy type to be kind of redundant. Elemental types plus normal and psychic do fine. I'm not too sure what it stands for, and if whatever it stands for can't be fulfilled by one of the original 17 types.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back