• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Install Windows XP on a Vista Machine

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • I am currently trying to install XP on my Vista laptop and the XP install is unable to find the Hard Drive. Does anybody know how to make it find it without the use of a floppy drive.

Apple Inc.

Years
  • The only thing google has given me were things that need a floppy drive. And come on, Does anybody know of a Vista computer that comes with one.

----------Edit----------
    I reworded my search and to my luck the 1st thing that came up was what I needed. for other people who want to go back to XP from Vista here it is: Vista to XP

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I ran into this exact problem when I tried the same thing on my laptop just 2 days ago. Your laptop uses an SATA hard drive controller. You'll need to insert SATA drivers into the Install disc. Here is a good tutorial.

EDIT: Eh, too slow. :[

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    ..why would you want to ruin a perfectly good Vista machine by putting Windows XP on it? Heck, why stop there? Want some links to Windows Me? 98? NT 3.51? Voluntary obsolescence baffles me..

Apple Inc.

Years
  • Now I have a problem. It won't take any product keys I give it and it won't let me skip that step. Also I can't boot back into Vista. I am using a Compaq Presario C700 Series laptop for this. How can I dual boot and get back into Vista.

DarkNido

Nido Trainer
    Years
  • To get vista back on you Compaq laptop you will have to use the recovery option to restore you laptop back to factory. The only way to use xp and vista on the same laptop is to use retail versions of the os not oem versions. Also you have to install xp first then vista.

Apple Inc.

Years
  • Well now I need the drivers in a download. Can anybody help with this? It can't be in .exe it has to be the inf file for the driver.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    well since I haven't used Vista before I wouldn't know, but has google given you anything useful that might help?

That's really helpful...(and to think you deleted the previous post before you posted because it wasn't helpful.)
    Google does provide good answers though...

Alright, if your computer won't allow for Windows XP to be installed it could be many reasons.

1.) First it could be a driver mismatch.
    2.) Is your version of XP a clean version?

Apple Inc.

Years
  • I have the drivers that worked but made a foolish mistake and added SP3 to the install which prevented it from being able to verify my key. The drivers are in 2 places. The XP install disc I made and the laptop. Both of which are inaccessible. Does anybody know a way I can pull a driver off the CD or where I may find it. Everywhere I look I am unsuccessful.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • in SP3 you should have been able to install no problem, however you would have to go through the activation process right after booting up the first time. An idea you might try is re-installing and postponing the activation (It should give you a 30 day grace period) and using the install cd for the drivers, Or go online to the hardware manufacturer's website and see if you can find the drivers there. Install the drivers and then go through the Activation process.
    If your key comes up invalid, and you know it is valid, simply call the number the activation wizard provides and you should go through an automated service that will provide you with a new key to enter that will activate your copy of Windows. (note, if you know your key is not legit, do not call the number. )

Apple Inc.

Years
  • Well the problem is that it's in the actual Install and it won't let me skip that step. I am trying something else I found which is to slipstream it on the XP machine. Read More

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I'd say burn a new disc for your XP with the right drivers for your SATA drive, but leave out the slip stream SP3, or if you have another XP computer that can burn and an external HDD, just transfer the files over to that PC and re-integrate SP3 there and then reburn the XP install disc.

Apple Inc.

Years
  • I was successful in Installing Windows XP on my laptop as I am using it right now with no problems and much better performance. Thanks Guys for all your help. leave this open please in case somebody else needs help or has suggestions.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    ..why would you want to ruin a perfectly good Vista machine by putting Windows XP on it? Heck, why stop there? Want some links to Windows Me? 98? NT 3.51? Voluntary obsolescence baffles me..

"Ruin?" I think there is something you are failing to understand here, quite a few people are at their wits end when it comes to Windows Vista for one or more of a few reasons. One reason is that hardware which is critical to some people does not work with Windows Vista such as most video capture and TV tuner cards along with game pads which require virtual joystick support from the OS which is something that Windows Vista does not provide. Another reason is that people are fed up with issues involving crashes caused by programs which work perfectly on Windows XP and below despite having the program set to run in compatibility mode, administrator mode or both or caused by RAM issues since Windows Vista is in fact a major memory hog, by far the worst of any Windows OS ever released. I can speak honestly here since I have a Windows Vista machine and a Windows XP machine but I can say that despite a slower CPU clock speed the Windows XP one has some advantages over the Vista one such as a faster boot time, greater compatibility with hardware and software, and also greater stability. There are also some people who are running Windows 2000 still and for the same reasons which explains why it is now on its fourth service pack and Microsoft will continue supporting it for quite some time.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    "Ruin?" I think there is something you are failing to understand here, quite a few people are at their wits end when it comes to Windows Vista for one or more of a few reasons. One reason is that hardware which is critical to some people does not work with Windows Vista such as most video capture and TV tuner cards along with game pads which require virtual joystick support from the OS which is something that Windows Vista does not provide. Another reason is that people are fed up with issues involving crashes caused by programs which work perfectly on Windows XP and below despite having the program set to run in compatibility mode, administrator mode or both or caused by RAM issues since Windows Vista is in fact a major memory hog, by far the worst of any Windows OS ever released. I can speak honestly here since I have a Windows Vista machine and a Windows XP machine but I can say that despite a slower CPU clock speed the Windows XP one has some advantages over the Vista one such as a faster boot time, greater compatibility with hardware and software, and also greater stability. There are also some people who are running Windows 2000 still and for the same reasons which explains why it is now on its fourth service pack and Microsoft will continue supporting it for quite some time.

Heck, I still have an old Compaq PC running Windows 2000 <_<
    Windows 2000 was one of M$'s good operating systems, as I never had my copy even pull up a blue screen of death on me.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I too have a PC running Windows 2000 SP4 and I agree with you there, it is perhaps Microsoft's best OS despite its age. I have had BSOD issues but with what I suspect is a bad PCMCIA slot and I have yet to replace it which might be needed to resolve the problem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    "Ruin?" I think there is something you are failing to understand here, quite a few people are at their wits end when it comes to Windows Vista for one or more of a few reasons.
    Like having obsolete hardware not fit to run Vista? Protip; this thread is about someone with a machine that comes with Vista; wanting to ruin it with XP.
    One reason is that hardware which is critical to some people does not work with Windows Vista such as most video capture and TV tuner cards along with game pads which require virtual joystick support from the OS which is something that Windows Vista does not provide. Another reason is that people are fed up with issues involving crashes caused by programs which work perfectly on Windows XP and below despite having the program set to run in compatibility mode, administrator mode or both or caused by RAM issues since Windows Vista is in fact a major memory hog, by far the worst of any Windows OS ever released.
    Inconsequential to the point at hand. And yes, Vista uses more memory - get this, right, Windows XP? It uses more memory than Windows Me! Golly gosh, a more recent OS that takes advantage of changing hardware standards? What an idea.
    I can speak honestly here since I have a Windows Vista machine and a Windows XP machine but I can say that despite a slower CPU clock speed the Windows XP one has some advantages over the Vista one such as a faster boot time, greater compatibility with hardware and software, and also greater stability.
    Really. Tell me about all the DX10 rendering you do in games? Seems like a pretty serious software deficiency right there. And how is it installing SATA drivers from floppy drive at boot time? And being able to burn to DVDR's without additional software? Add to that the fact that any malware runs as administrator immediately under XP without user intervention and it's easy to see which is the less compatible and stable OS.
    There are also some people who are running Windows 2000 still and for the same reasons which explains why it is now on its fourth service pack and Microsoft will continue supporting it for quite some time.
    "For quite some time" meaning "Until July 2010", btw. And even then, we're in the "extended support" era meaning no updates or functionality; just hotfixes.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    Like having obsolete hardware not fit to run Vista? Protip; this thread is about someone with a machine that comes with Vista; wanting to ruin it with XP.
    Inconsequential to the point at hand. And yes, Vista uses more memory - get this, right, Windows XP? It uses more memory than Windows Me! Golly gosh, a more recent OS that takes advantage of changing hardware standards? What an idea.
    Really. Tell me about all the DX10 rendering you do in games? Seems like a pretty serious software deficiency right there. And how is it installing SATA drivers from floppy drive at boot time? And being able to burn to DVDR's without additional software? Add to that the fact that any malware runs as administrator immediately under XP without user intervention and it's easy to see which is the less compatible and stable OS.
    "For quite some time" meaning "Until July 2010", btw. And even then, we're in the "extended support" era meaning no updates or functionality; just hotfixes.
    Of course Microsoft is going to increase memory usage by operating systems but not by FOUR TIMES WHAT THE PREVIOUS VERSION REQUIRED look at this trend. 16 bit Windows 4 MB minimum, Windows 95 8 MB minimum, Windows 98 16 MB minimum, Windows ME 32 MB minimum, Windows XP 64 MB minimum, Windows Vista 512 MB minimum. Also, not everyone is a die hard gamer and even then Direct X 10 is not used in too many games or applications that the average person would use. Also, this is with a DESKTOP COMPUTER which uses IDE controllers and SATA controllers are on LAPTOPS ONLY and there is such a thing as watch what you download which is to use common sense In other words don't click on the big flashing banner ads for free anti-virus, anti-spyware, or other no name programs which promise to do quite a bit for nothing. Well, that was the case with CD-R and CD-RW discs in Windows 98 and also Windows ME you were required to install aditional software but even then it came with the drive most of the time so that was not much of a big deal. And Windows Vista stable? I don't think so I personally have a laptop which was designed for Windows Vista and it was pre loaded as well but despite this I have seen the BSoD at least a dozen times in one day before SP1 came out and there was really nothing I could do about it as well since it was a hardware/driver compatibility problem with a Broadcom 802.11g card. Not only that I also remember being booted off the internet when using wifi even if my signal strength was at its maximum and a reboot was required in order to restore my internet connection which was caused by the same thing and again it was before SP1 came out. These problems got so bad that I just quit using my laptop for almost everything on the internet until well, SP1 came out which fixed that issue and it has not turned up since. As for the Windows XP machine I have yet to see a BSoD on it and given its current state along with the fact that I download programs from the internet responsibly on it along with my Windows Vista laptop it will stay that way.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I don't think you need a floppy drive to install XP. I installed XP on a Vista Computer, and it worked perfectly.

Back