• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is homosexuality unnatural?

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Well dude, I apologize that it doesn't add up for you. I'm not going to dive into a topic that I'm not fully knowledgeable about. I'm not here to disrespect anyone. I answered the question with my opinion (whether it may be right or wrong) and I'll leave it at that.

I'm confused. Why come in a debate thread, make a small post with no points, then get defensive when someone replies you wanting to understand your point of view better? You said you won't dive into a topic you're not fully knowledgeable about, but you already did apparently. I'm not offended or anything, it just doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately a big part of posting in debates is having points to make, simply saying "it's not unnatural" without any reasoning in this sort of thread doesn't usually work out.

While it's also great you've chosen your particular identity, most people do not get the luxury. They get stuck with whatever they are attracted to and also what they aren't attracted to and that's it. It's not fair to stick everyone else in the same category as yourself.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    I'm confused. Why come in a debate thread, make a small post with no points, then get defensive when someone replies you wanting to understand your point of view better? You said you won't dive into a topic you're not fully knowledgeable about, but you already did apparently. I'm not offended or anything, it just doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately a big part of posting in debates is having points to make, simply saying "it's not unnatural" without any reasoning in this sort of thread doesn't usually work out.

While it's also great you've chosen your particular identity, most people do not get the luxury. They get stuck with whatever they are attracted to and also what they aren't attracted to and that's it. It's not fair to stick everyone else in the same category as yourself.

You're right, it doesn't usually work out. I would like for you and everyone else to respect my decision of not continuing. I apologize that I didn't answer your questions.

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
    You might think homosexuality is wrong and sinful
    You might even want them to be send to jail or even to death
    It might even be unnatural but so what?
    If the person is happy who gives a crap?
    It's 2016 not the 1940s where you need to be a stay at home mum looking at kids and doing cooking living the sex,kid,death way of life.
    Why say you hate some countries for forcing religion but think the bible should be law in like the US?
    Not everything these days are going to be the same as they were in Old Testament times where the more recent version says nothing.
    Believe what you want but just let freedom happen. It's not like something really weird that could harm people. It's more of the other way around.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Are we talking biologically natural? If so, I think it is biological. As a straight male, I wouldn't be able to just wake up one day and determine that I like other males instead. I imagine it's the same for the gay community. This is clearly not a conscious choice that we'd be making, so I'd argue that it's indeed of biological causes.

There's a lot of insightful information on the topic here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

If you're talking about whether or not it's unnatural in my opinion, then as Psychic posted initially, it depends on your definition of what is unnatural. Some people classify unnatural as something that's not normal. Since a majority of the population isn't gay, then by logical reasoning being gay is not natural. There's nothing wrong with being unnatural anyways, it's like people who have blue eyes. By the same logic, they'd be unnatural as well :)

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I mean, it'd probably be a more effective quote if any other species had an advanced social structure like ours, their lower intelligence being a given. 'Homophobia' is a social response based on learned cultural factors well outside the realm of understanding, or possibility, for any other species. Animals just want to have sex; if the male pony tried to have sex with the other male pony and got angrily rejected, it'd be because the male pony didn't want a 15 foot penis anywhere near it - that's the extent of it. They can't exhibit homophobia because as far as I can tell, they cannot comprehend it. If ponies developed a cultural & social structure akin to humanity in its complexity and didn't exhibit homophobia, then I think that quote would have more meaning. But until then, it seems a bit lacking to me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    The US allows non-heterosexuals because they are stealing jobs away from heterosexuals. In general non-heterosexuals have a greater high or ( that place ) because of the available non-heterosexuals as well. Bare in mind they are only 4% of the population. So it is unnatural and should be ignored to prevent spread.

Years
    The US allows non-heterosexuals because they are stealing jobs away from heterosexuals. In general non-heterosexuals have a greater high or ( that place ) because of the available non-heterosexuals as well. Bare in mind they are only 4% of the population. So it is unnatural and should be ignored to prevent spread.

I honestly cannot follow a word of what you just said.

1. You can't not allow non-heterosexuals, they exist whether you like it or not. You can't just decree that they will no longer be a thing and have it be so.

2. What exactly does the non-straight population have to do with the workforce?

3. How does anything you just said prove homosexuality is unnatural or otherwise?

4. What do you mean "spread"? It's not like a disease that you can catch or something. It's not even becoming more common, it's just that more people are being open about their sexuality now.

Years
    Right. I especially question the idea of spread. Anecdotally (which isn't the best standard of evidence, but bear with me), how many people have "turned gay"? I'd be interested in a reddit AMA where somebody claims they used to be straight but became gay over time, because to the extent of my knowledge those don't exist.

Years
    Right. I especially question the idea of spread. Anecdotally (which isn't the best standard of evidence, but bear with me), how many people have "turned gay"? I'd be interested in a reddit AMA where somebody claims they used to be straight but became gay over time, because to the extent of my knowledge those don't exist.

Some people do say "sexuality is transient" but I don't really think that's the same as "turning gay" anyway. More like just suddenly becoming aware of your actual sexuality.

Years
    Some people do say "sexuality is transient" but I don't really think that's the same as "turning gay" anyway. More like just suddenly becoming aware of your actual sexuality.

I agree that sexuality is fluid, but at the same time I'd argue that there are more or less rigid factors that underline our preferences. It's like political expression. You might identify with one party or another, vote for one party or another, or agree with one ideology or another, but the factors that underpin those expressions are somewhat consistent. Look deep enough and I think most people would be able to perceive some "logic" to their preferences and sexual expression.

Years
    I agree that sexuality is fluid, but at the same time I'd argue that there are more or less rigid factors that underline our preferences. It's like political expression. You might identify with one party or another, vote for one party or another, or agree with one ideology or another, but the factors that underpin those expressions are somewhat consistent. Look deep enough and I think most people would be able to perceive some "logic" to their preferences and sexual expression.

This is basically exactly what I meant. Nicely said.

Years
    Well, I mean, it'd probably be a more effective quote if any other species had an advanced social structure like ours, their lower intelligence being a given. 'Homophobia' is a social response based on learned cultural factors well outside the realm of understanding, or possibility, for any other species. Animals just want to have sex; if the male pony tried to have sex with the other male pony and got angrily rejected, it'd be because the male pony didn't want a 15 foot penis anywhere near it - that's the extent of it. They can't exhibit homophobia because as far as I can tell, they cannot comprehend it. If ponies developed a cultural & social structure akin to humanity in its complexity and didn't exhibit homophobia, then I think that quote would have more meaning. But until then, it seems a bit lacking to me.

Actually, there are gay couples in the animal kingdom:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

That said, there is so much weird stuff that happens in the animal kingdom, it's hard to know what is "natural", what with some mammals laying eggs, animals swapping genders, hermaphrodites and even species where the male gives birth rather than the female.

Years
    Actually, there are gay couples in the animal kingdom:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

That said, there is so much weird stuff that happens in the animal kingdom, it's hard to know what is "natural", what with some mammals laying eggs, animals swapping genders, hermaphrodites and even species where the male gives birth rather than the female.

If these things occur normally in nature, regardless of how strange you find them, surely they are natural occurrences? I would assume the same is true of homosexuality.

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
    Years
    As I think who you fall in love is natural
    ofc, of the same gender is fine too.

I think the gay community paints itself in a negative light sometimes.
    unintentionally, but still.

I pray that Australia has same sex marriages in ALL states one day.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Why the hell should it matter? That's disgusting to even think about. We're already hated enough for not being "socially acceptable," or something, and now it's "unnatural"? I don't think so. These are just homphobic subjects pressed on people.

my thoughts exactly whenever i come here i wonder why these threads even exist?? why even suggest that it's unnatural or other things like that like what good does it do, it's not rly a fair starting point to begin with...

why even put that thought on the table. it's homophobic. and i think it's violent. i feel like i have to come in here and defend myself because it's questioning homosexuality like a weird strange phenomenon. actually i would have locked this if i were a mod i think it's pretty unacceptable. and a mod made it and i'm kind of blown away.

i keep adding stuff to this cause i can't believe this is a thread...why are we discussing and questioning other people's sexualities? it's not appropriate. why is there a space for others to be homophobic?

Last edited:
    Years
    my thoughts exactly whenever i come here i wonder why these threads even exist?? why even suggest that it's unnatural or other things like that like what good does it do, it's not rly a fair starting point to begin with...

why even put that thought on the table. it's homophobic. and i think it's violent. i feel like i have to come in here and defend myself because it's questioning homosexuality like a weird strange phenomenon. actually i would have locked this if i were a mod i think it's pretty unacceptable. and a mod made it and i'm kind of blown away.

i keep adding stuff to this cause i can't believe this is a thread...why are we discussing and questioning other people's sexualities? it's not appropriate.

Granted, the thread could have been titled better, but I see nothing wrong in this type of thread. Many heterosexual people don't understand homosexuals which is why homophobia even exists (fear of the unknown often leads to anger and rejection). So, as a gay man, I come into this thread with the mindset to educate people so they can better understand homosexuality and not fear it, rather than me trying to defend my sexual orientation. These sorts of things should be talked about in order for us to understand one another and live peacefully.

Back