• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is life pointless?

Angela

Aristocracy
Years
  • Okay this is a debate, and in this post I am setting the guidelines that I hope you will follow.
    A debate is when you are given a subject and you are to reason about the argument in a mature way, and use grammar and correct spelling *Nobody blames you if English isn't your first language, just do your best to make yourself understandable;)* and make some reasonable argument, your gonna be seeing a lot of these debating threads and lets all hope that the debate threads your gonna see will be organized and popular with over ten pages of REASONABLE posts, so do please visit the other debate threads in the other chat.

Okay, were I live there is a contest called "morfís" where every school in the area sends in 4 students, the students are given a topic a week before the actual debates, and one school is with and the other is against, the students the make up some convincing argument and then go on and debate the other school, the topic is picked by judges and the school the reasons enough to get the judges on there side wins *That was just really a short intro of the idea I have of debates*.

The last topic my school debated on was "Is life pointless",
    That will be our topic in this thread and I expect that you stick to it.
    I ask that you don't post to congratulate me on the thread *If you really feel the need then VM me, and make it look adorable*, or to tell me how well organized it is, you don't mini mod in here, ever, so I hope there will be no posts that say "Hey you are insulting" or "You are n00b", because that is not the topic and really is not debating.

If I see any thing against PC rules, I won't be posting and saying your going off topic please stick to it, I will report it right away to Chibi or Amachi, and they will handle that in a way to be handled, and I expect everybody to follow my example, *because my example is how the PC rules expect you to handle spam and insulting posts*, and anything done other then notifying the staff is mini modding.

And if you see any mini modding noobish posts in between our magnificent long arguments then do report them so they can be removed.

Everybody can debate as long as they are on topic,

And one thing that you must never forget:

Caution should be shown in the presence of a soul, and I expect that caution will be shown so that this thread won't get closed.

So amaze me, blow me away.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Some people believe the point in life is to reproduce and die. I'm not one of those people.

I think the point in life is to do something meaningful. Accomplish something that can bring the world to a better place; wether it's donating to a charity or coming up with a plan to end world hunger. Even if you're act of kindness is as simple as donating blood, it's a step in the right direction for the world of tomorrow.

So for me, life's point is not to make your own life more enjoyable, nor is it just to pass you're seed for the next generation. My life's point is to make the world a better place.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    In my opinion, yes. My interpretation of whether or not something is pointless is if it has a predetermined objective- Being an atheist I do not believe we have an objective and as such I deem life essentially pointless. Let's all just have fun instead =]

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • I don't think life is pointless. I think we go through life finding out what that purpose is, whether it's serving to benefiting others (ex. Volunteers), preparing our next generation (ex. Teachers), or making a life suitable for ourselves and our children to live on to find their purpose (ex. Parents). Some lives are even used to feed other lives (ex. The Food Chain).

If life is pointless, what's the point of having it in the first place?

Let's all just have fun instead =]

I like your attitude XD

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I believe that the point of life is to accomplish great things. Basically, doing something that everyone, or at least most people will remember you for.

Such as in sports, one example would be Brett Favre (NFL) or Micheal Jordon (NBA). Another would be in politics. One person would be Barak Obama, him becoming the first US President with a background that includes being African American.

Basically, I believe that life has a point.

Ryuu Akamatsu

Oh yeeeah!
    Years
  • There's no, apparent, reason to life. Religiously speaking, it's only to judge you on whether or not you should go to Heaven/Hell. Without religion, there's nothing else. Then why keep living? I think it's because God is searching for something/someone to help him with an entity or being that not even He can handle. Otherwise, there's nothing I can figure out, that makes any sense, that would be the purpose to life.

I've had alot of time to think about this. XD

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • There's no, apparent, reason to life. Religiously speaking, it's only to judge you on whether or not you should go to Heaven/Hell. Without religion, there's nothing else. Then why keep living? I think it's because God is searching for something/someone to help him with an entity or being that not even He can handle. Otherwise, there's nothing I can figure out, that makes any sense, that would be the purpose to life.

I've had alot of time to think about this. XD

If you're even vaguely religious you'll read the point of life is to live, love, and glorify God. You can do that in all sorts of ways. Be it being a good person, enjoying your life, learning new things, showcasing your talents, falling in love...and so on. Being a Christian that is the point of my life.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Life is honestly whatever you make of it. And there's two different ways of looking at it

Scientifically speaking, I think life on Earth has no greater "purpose" or "influence" as some might say. The conditions were right for life to flourish, and evolution took place, and here we are. In that sense...Yes, there might not be a "point" to life, but I could go on and on for hours....I'll just leave it at that =P

In terms of our own lives....No, life is not pointless. We have family and friends that we love, and we care about how we live and what we do. If life were pointless, no one would care about anything. I'm quite grateful for every day I get to live, and life really is a wonderful thing, so everyone should enjoy it =P

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm going to ignore the whole "amaze me, blow me away." comment...

Life is only pointless if you make it out that way. I don't really see the whole debate side in sharing your views on if life is pointless or not, so I'm a bit confused. I mean, if you live your life the way you want to in a successful way then life is worth living. If you don't, well.. life is still worth living, only.. your life isn't as good as it could be if you attempted more at making it successful and having a point to be on this earth as I believe everyone has a purpose being here in the end and it's really up to them to find the purpose or to just strand away from it.

So, no. Life isn't pointless.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Life is pointless... if you don't/can't do something about it.

There is no reason to life naturally. It's the humans' imagination that creates it.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Life is Pointless? Meaning of Life? No difference in those questions...

The point in every life is to do your best to make a difference in the world and lead the plants of God into eternal prosperity. You make a difference in discovering a cure for Diabetes as much as asking your customers if they want a salad or not. God made the seeds of life, the seeds grow to plants, and they make more seeds. The point of life? To make a seed throughout your life before death to help make an eternal forest of the images of God...

Well, maybe it's 42, I don't know, I took science into consideration :/.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I think that every life has a purpose, but I definitely don't think that there's one immediately unifying purpose. The wonderful thing about people is that they're all varied to a significant degree, mostly because we act on free will in addition to instinct. I believe that we all have some niche to fill when it comes to how we live our lives. Some people are simply best suited to make a difference in the world by having revolutionary thoughts and ideas, thereby making a deep difference in the world. However, some people are better suited to making sure that those who desire change don't lose the value of older wisdom and tradition in the process. It is the balance between the active seeking of the new and the remembrance of what is tried and true that makes Western society work so well. Extremism rarely leads to good, so the virtues of both traditionalism and forward-thinking should not be understated.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Yes. But that just means that we should have a reat time while we're here! in the end, everyone is going to die and the earth will be crispied by the sun, yada, yada, yada. So any contribution you make to the human race will eventually become meaningless. No matter what you do to be remebered, you'll be forgotten eventually anyway.

So, if nothing we do matters...we should do whatever the hell we find fun! ;)

Cacttus

Sigh
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2016
    What's up with these thread ? Are people wondering about the end of the world or something

I think life is about " The Pursuit of Happiness" and over coming your greatest obstacles, " Living life to the Fullest"

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It depends on how you look at it, there is no set/preplanned point or path to life, your free to do what you want except for things that are restriced but thats only because of other humans; a point to your life is only made by other humans or by yourself but there is no unearthly, universal point.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I don't think life is pointless. In fact, I think the point in life is to be remembered in a big way (whether it be famously or infamously). It's not how you die that defines, but how you live.

Chaolin

Shiny Unown Master
    Years
  • I see life as an opportunity that you can waste or take advantage of. It's a chance to imprint yourself among the billions of others who existed on the planet; to see if you can use your life to change someone else's. Now, by change I don't mean like, "Because of so-and-so, I didn't commit suicide and I turned my life around to get into Harvard.". What I'm really trying to say is will a person think of you when your gone from their life. Will they use you, as an individual, for an example of what (not) to do in a certain situation?

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • Your life is made for you to live it, now go out there and live it, instead of worrying about things that can never be answered.

:)

Back